PSA: You Spent a lot of Money on a Shiney New Phone; don't Skimp on the Cable and Charger

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Congratulations! You've spend over $1000 US on a shiny new S24 series phone. Why are you skimping on a charger and cable?

The S24 series sports Superfast 2.0 charging and supports USB-C PD and USB 3.2 standards. Yet many people are still using their $5 chargers and cables from five (or more) years ago.

PSA: Toss those ratty old cables and get a new USB PD 65W or more charger and a cable that supports 100W or Thunderbolt 3 or newer. Sure cables that support USB-C PD are more expensive, but they are worth it in the long rung. Most devices made in the last five years support the USB-C PD and can charge at wattages of 45W or more. Even Apple has switched (thanks to a little arm twisting by the EU).

USB-C PD 100W cables from reputable manufacturers start at around $12 and Thunderbolt cables start at around $25. A USB-C PD 100W AC wall chargers start at around $30, while 100W car chargers start at around $35-$40.

A 100W USB-C PD cable will not only charge your shiny new S24, S24+, or S24 Ultra, it will charge your tablet, and even your laptop. Thunderbolt 4 supports USB-C PD charging up too 100W, USB 4 data rates, and can push audio/video simultaneously.

Furthermore, most modern laptops (both Windows and Mac) support USB-C PD charging and Thunderbolt 3 or newer. Most modern Android and iPad tablets support USB-C PD, therefore, that USB-C PD 100W charger and cable will charge those devices without any worries.

The USB-C connector, USB-C PD charging, and Thunderbolt/USB 3.x and newer standards are not going away anytime soon.

So, ditch those ratty old cables and chargers (by ditching I mean recycle them) and get yourself a USB-C PD 100W charger and cable, or a Thunderbolt 3 or newer cable. It will last you several years and in the long run save you money and frustration.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I have a 100 W Anker charger, which I use to charge both my S24 Ultra and my Galaxy Book2 Pro.

However, I would go even further and suggest a fast wireless charger. Make sure you get one that supports Samsung's 15 W max on the S24 Ultra (not all wireless chargers that are rated for 15+ W actually charge Samsung phones at that speed). Samsung has a pretty nice duo charger that can charge your S24 at max speed on one pad, while also charging your Buds2 Pro or the Galaxy Watch6 on the other pad. And that other pad even supports magnetic alignment for the watch!

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Yeah. I have that wireless charger too. That's on my night stand.

All of my wall chargers are 65W or more and I just got an Anker 65W charger for my car. I upgraded them when I got my Galaxy Book2 Pro 360.

Having chargers and cables that will all of my stuff is definitely worth it.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Yeah. I have that wireless charger too. That's on my night stand.

All of my wall chargers are 65W or more and I just got an Anker 65W charger for my car. I upgraded them when I got my Galaxy Book2 Pro 360.

Having chargers and cables that will all of my stuff is definitely worth it.
Can you share the link for the car charger?

I'm looking for the best magsafe one that will work with the S24U using a magsafe case.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Can you share the link for the car charger?

I'm looking for the best magsafe one that will work with the S24U using a magsafe case.
Anker USB-C Car Charger, 67W 3-Port Compact Fast Charger, 535 Car Adapter with PIQ 3.0 for iPhone 15/15 Plus/15 Pro/15 Pro Max, Galaxy S23, MacBook Pro, iPad Air, and More (USB-C to C Cable Included) https://a.co/d/2DXguT1

It's not specifically MagSafe.

Reactions: mlblack16

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I got this Official 45W currently on sale (UK)
That will work. Just make sure you have a cable that is rated for 45W or more. Preferably 100W. That way if you decided to get a more powerful charger it will work. Also, if you need a cable that will charge a laptop, 100W cable will work. To my knowledge, most laptops require no more than 60-65W of power to charge. Smaller ones like the Surface devices require only 45W.

Reactions: Laura Knotek