N4ers: How nice is the vanilla Android system?

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping some of you could chime in, pure Android verses HTC's Sense and Samsung's "overlays" or whatever you want to call them.

I'm getting ready to buy my first Nexus phone, going from iOS which I've had for 4 years. In my eyes it's a huge selling point for me, I want the OS straight from the source and don't want to rely on carriers for upgrades. Should it be as big of a deal as I'm making it? Does anyone like some othe alternatives better?

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I too am coming from iOS and will be getting a N4 (when it's available), for the same reasons. I think a lot of it has to do with iPhones having updates direct from Apple and the os comes with no 3rd party meddling.

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I too am coming from iOS and will be getting a N4 (when it's available), for the same reasons. I think a lot of it has to do with iPhones having updates direct from Apple and the os comes with no 3rd party meddling.

Yeah I love how that sounds. Other phones have nice harware too like the One X+ but the vanilla experience sells it for me

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 4 for over a week. I'm coming from an iPhone and I can tell you that it's so much better!

I don't have to jailbreak or unlock anything to customize it to my liking right out of the box. I feel so free! Literally like I've just broken out of a stifling iPrison!

Thank God for pure, stock Android. The Nexus experience saved my life. True story, bro. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7

yahoowizard

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's really wonderful. I've been going through the custom ROM path with my past two phones, and although you get more features at times, they're never perfect or butter or close to what this phone provides of the box. Sometimes they have missing features or small bugs, and by the time they're all perfected, a new OS update would come out and it would be starting from the beginning again. This is really the best option.