Nexus 4 random reboots explained

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've decided to start this topic as I've seen a couple post popping up regarding this issue.

The issue itself is the device is rebooting randomly and at no specific time. The cause is with the operating system itself and not with your phone. Google has acknowledged the issue and is working on a fix but a timeframe was never given. The below article explains it in more detail.

http://m.blogs.computerworld.com/android/21427/android-42-random-reboots

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

crashprone

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife's Nexus 4 started doing this recently, it is pretty annoying. She does not have HD Widgets.

Also noticed it on my Nexus 7 without HD Widgets.

suprahul

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
My replacement device is doing the random reboots. What is more weird is that it would get stuck on the Nexus logo and then the phone would start to flash in the middle, which is very annoying. And when it does get it going again, I am getting a lot of 'Unfortunately, the app has stopped' errors along with random closing of many apps! It's a mess.

NoahJohnson

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I do not believe that this is entirely accurate. I did everything they said on that site (removed all 3rd party apps, disabled location based services, restore, etc..) and I was still getting about 4-5 reboots a day for no apparent reason. I ordered a replacement. Since getting my replacement four days ago, I have not had a single reboot with all the same programs and usage.

I believe this may be a hardware issue for some people and I encourage that those who are seeing a handful of random reboots a day to call for a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
This is so damn ridiculous. Have they done anything about this yet? My device reboots at least twice per day now, and I don't have HD Widgets, nor a custom ROM, Launcher, etc. All stock Nexus! I'm so glad Blackberry 10 is coming out soon. Android is a complete mess. If not for BB10, I would've went to iOS and ditched Google.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I do not believe that this is entirely accurate. I did everything they said on that site (removed all 3rd party apps, disabled location based services, restore, etc..) and I was still getting about 4-5 reboots a day for no apparent reason. I ordered a replacement. Since getting my replacement four days ago, I have not had a single reboot with all the same programs and usage.

I believe this may be a hardware issue for some people and I encourage that those who are seeing a handful of random reboots a day to call for a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This was happening to my friend and he did everything he could. Reset the phone, turned off various services, etc. He has a replacement on the way. I do think it's a hardware issue. I've never seen ONE random reboot with my N4.

ryker002

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of what you do to fix it that doesn't ever really fully fix the issue espessially if it is just the google OS. Its expected with each update that's there's gonna be issues to iron out but be sure when an update is sent out the phone will work again.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
My replacement device is doing the random reboots. What is more weird is that it would get stuck on the Nexus logo and then the phone would start to flash in the middle, which is very annoying. And when it does get it going again, I am getting a lot of 'Unfortunately, the app has stopped' errors along with random closing of many apps! It's a mess.

Mine hasn't randomly rebooted yet (knock on wood), but I have had the screen flicker issue... after I rebooted it the nexus logo appeared in the background in gray for about 3 minutes after rebooting. Also, the messages widget is finicky when rebooting.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
This has never happened to me at all. My Nexus 4 reboots but only happens when "Beautiful Widget" get updated or installed.

at the end of the update it reboots and say that the update completed. it happens on my Nexus 4 and 10

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I just had this happen for the 1st time on Saturday after using the video camera through Camera Zoom. I shot some video and then turned my screen off. I then went back to turn my screen on to take a picture and my phone wouldn't turn on. I held the power button down for a while and it finally booted up.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I havent yet experienced this issue with my phone unless this problem is just with a certain batch of phones. My best guess would be that people are maybe running too many apps at the same time? Overloading the RAM? I always exit apps properly and clear my recent apps so I dont know really.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I havent yet experienced this issue with my phone unless this problem is just with a certain batch of phones. My best guess would be that people are maybe running too many apps at the same time? Overloading the RAM? I always exit apps properly and clear my recent apps so I dont know really.

You cant overload the ram and even if you did it woukdnt cause the phone to just reboot. It would slow and then the phone would lock up

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Smoknjoe1

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Just received two nexus 4 16gb and one just started rebooting. Did the factory reset and can?t get passed the welcome screen to select language. Called google support went the through the factory reset twice. This seems a hardware issue if you can?t get through the initial setup. Now I am out of a phone for a week and awaiting the RMA :(

akash joshi

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
mine doing same to handset is just two days old. and its replacement device so first one had screen brightness problem issue:':)':)':)':)'(;). will wait for the solution.

1210saad

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
My nexus 4 randomly reboots on Android 4.4.2. It started happening when I got the OTA update. So I flashed the 4.4.2 image and only have some games and apps installed. It happens randomly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk