Whats going on with google play music manager?

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
so last night i decided to upload my library of music onto google play. i have around 11,000 songs, before i went to bed i was at around 6,000 songs uploaded,so i knew it would take quite a while so i left it to run overnight. check this morning and it looked to have just stopped because the 8 hours i slept it had only added a few hundred songs. so i signed out, signed back in to see if that would solve the problem and now its telling me its uploaded roughly 5,800 of roughly 9000.

whats with that? did the songs i went to upload last night not stay in google play?

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
so last night i decided to upload my library of music onto google play. i have around 11,000 songs, before i went to bed i was at around 6,000 songs uploaded,so i knew it would take quite a while so i left it to run overnight. check this morning and it looked to have just stopped because the 8 hours i slept it had only added a few hundred songs. so i signed out, signed back in to see if that would solve the problem and now its telling me its uploaded roughly 5,800 of roughly 9000.

whats with that? did the songs i went to upload last night not stay in google play?

Same thing happened to me Friday while loading my library it kept saying can't complete at this time will retry later. This went on for about 4 hr finally it loaded all 300 songs into googles cloud and 70 on my device. And even doing that it had to repeat seven times to add them to my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
also i am uploading the songs from an external hard drive. the external drive doesnt have to be plugged in once the songs are uploaded right?

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It took me nearly 9 hours to upload 1k songs. I have a pretty poor internet connection at home.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Google Play now has song matching, which is why some songs seem to upload very quickly while others take forever. The delay you were seeing may have been due to a problem with matching, which was forcing it to upload everything and not just the songs Play doesn't have in its match database. I'd say try again later and see if it helps. When I did my initial upload to Play, the last 1/4 took forever.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
yeah...i was thinking maybe for some reason google play would need to know where the files are stored locally just for a second or something. guess that doesnt make too much sense

When you upload files using the Google Music Manager, you're selecting a location on your computer for the Music Manager to watch, rather than to upload files from on a one-time basis. If you change the contents of that directory, it should be reflected in Google Music. I can't say exactly how it handles files that have been deleted or are no longer present in that location, because I've had varying results.

Edit: I should mention that as of an update to the Music Manager, there is now a boolean option titled "Automatically upload songs added to my selected folders." I do believe this is checked by default. Then there's the option to start at boot. Here's what I would do:

1) Turn off the automatic upload.
2) Turn off start at boot.
3) Upload your entire library once, keeping in mind that it may take multiple passes to get everything pulled up.
4) When you want to update Google Music, manually start the Music Manager and scan for the new files.​

This is how I do it. When I add new music, I create a new folder (so my library -- on an external hard drive -- contains folders for each date that I added new music to Google Music). I then have Music Manager scan and upload that new folder. Once the files are in Google Music, that folder name has no significance and the tracks are organized/sorted as they would be normally (title, artist, album, etc.).

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Google Play now has song matching, which is why some songs seem to upload very quickly while others take forever. The delay you were seeing may have been due to a problem with matching, which was forcing it to upload everything and not just the songs Play doesn't have in its match database. I'd say try again later and see if it helps. When I did my initial upload to Play, the last 1/4 took forever.

LOL if it has song matching its piss poor at it. i think it told me when i first started it last night, it matched like 24 songs. its been uploading the rest of my 11,000 songs...hence its taking forever.

EDIT: just an update...a few hours ago after i had signed in/out like 3x it finally went back and started from where it left off last night at like 6,300 songs and says 6,300 of 11,000 songs uploaded and its doing its thing. not sure why it acted screwy earlier.

but yea...taking forever...whatever that song matching is, its awful...songs are manually uploading every single one

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
LOL if it has song matching its piss poor at it. i think it told me when i first started it last night, it matched like 24 songs. its been uploading the rest of my 11,000 songs...hence its taking forever.

Just keep in mind that even slight variations of the tracks may be kept unmatched. Live performances, remixes, collaborations, etc.

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just keep in mind that even slight variations of the tracks may be kept unmatched. Live performances, remixes, collaborations, etc.

put it this way....i happened to see it loading some led zeppelin tracks, from their albums (all of which i have cds of) (heartbreaker, stairway to heaven, etc) you're telling me google music cant match led zeppelin tracks? i mean thats alot of mainstream classic rock on the radio everyday.

i do have live music and remixes and such...which is understandable...but songs from an actual cd cant be matched? huh?

EDIT: assuming match means .mp3's of songs google match has that i have in my library. if thats not correct then...my bad lol

Last edited:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
put it this way....i happened to see it loading some led zeppelin tracks, from their albums (all of which i have cds of) (heartbreaker, stairway to heaven, etc) you're telling me google music cant match led zeppelin tracks? i mean thats alot of mainstream classic rock on the radio everyday.

i do have live music and remixes and such...which is understandable...but songs from an actual cd cant be matched? huh?

EDIT: assuming match means .mp3's of songs google match has that i have in my library. if thats not correct then...my bad lol

Your understanding and assumptions are correct. I pointed out that there are exceptions to what the service will match -- I didn't say it was good at matching the rest. Also, open Google Music in the desktop browser and compare the total number of uploaded songs on the Music Settings page with the total number of songs listed in the "Songs" list (left-hand menu). Compare those two numbers to the Music Manager application and see how they match up.

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Your understanding and assumptions are correct. I pointed out that there are exceptions to what the service will match -- I didn't say it was good at matching the rest. Also, open Google Music in the desktop browser and compare the total number of uploaded songs on the Music Settings page with the total number of songs listed in the "Songs" list (left-hand menu). Compare those two numbers to the Music Manager application and see how they match up.

not seeing the music settings page.... on the home page it shows the same info the music manager is telling me and shows its uploading tracks.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
not seeing the music settings page.... on the home page it shows the same info the music manager is telling me and shows its uploading tracks.

Looks like there isn't much out of the ordinary then. I had to go through the same ordeal as many others, having Music Manager scan multiple times in order to pick them all up. If I remember correctly, a few tracks weren't uploaded initially because of their file names. It surprised me, because it's said that the Music Manager should correct any abnormal names, but I ended up testing a few tracks by manually renaming them and they were pulled up.

For now, I'd say just let it run and continue adding files to your external hard drive as your library expands. It may very well grab the previously skipped files when it grabs the newly-added ones.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
For now, I'd say just let it run and continue adding files to your external hard drive as your library expands. It may very well grab the previously skipped files when it grabs the newly-added ones.

I will say that once you get the initial upload done, adding new songs is pretty quick and painless. I've added several CDs since my first upload, and Music Manager finds the new tracks almost instantly and uploads them relatively quickly in the background.

Also, as to matching, if the version you have was ripped at a higher quality than what Google has on their server, they will still upload your version. I think. Don't quote me on that. :)

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I found google music manager to be very buggy. It would reject some songs and I'd then copy them into a different folder and it would upload half of them. And I could keep doing this until it uploaded all but 3 (and I could never get it to upload those last 3).

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
so i paused the uploading last night, to shut off the computer. i'm now trying to fire up and let the uploading continue now, but cant seem to figure out how to get it to go again. i've tried signing out then in again...still nothing.

help!

EDIT: it looks like i got it to start again...problem is i had to go to the advanced tab then change the location of my music folders....even though it isnt changed and select the same folder again. now i think its scanning all the songs i have uploaded to this point (which is taking forever as well)...hopefully it starts after that....but its supposed to be easier than that isnt it? shouldnt it start where it left off once i hit resume?

Last edited:

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I will say that once you get the initial upload done, adding new songs is pretty quick and painless. I've added several CDs since my first upload, and Music Manager finds the new tracks almost instantly and uploads them relatively quickly in the background.

Also, as to matching, if the version you have was ripped at a higher quality than what Google has on their server, they will still upload your version. I think. Don't quote me on that. :)

this is good to hear, i dont add much music over time, so once i can get all this uploaded i shouldnt have to fiddle too much with the music manager.

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I found google music manager to be very buggy. It would reject some songs and I'd then copy them into a different folder and it would upload half of them. And I could keep doing this until it uploaded all but 3 (and I could never get it to upload those last 3).

is there another way to upload songs to google play though?

at this point i've given up until i find another way to upload. my library shows the 7,500 or so uploaded are in there...thats decent enough. hopefully the music manager gets an update and things work more smoothly and i can upload the rest sometime

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty