Nexus 4 tethering success stories?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Id like to use the Nexus 4 as my primary device so i can use the wifi tethering with my Nexus 7 and maybe note 2 from time to time.

I don't think tethering to a N7 will alert Tmobile, and I would assume the same would be true for tethering to another mobile device. I've been following this forum since January and I have yet to see one person post they got a warning from Tmobile for tethering from a N4 to a N7.

Does the built in tethering option on the Nexus 4 alert TMO that im tethering or use my allotted 500megs of tethering?

My understanding, (again based off of following this forum), is no.

Anybody is welcome to correct the following, but I don't think it matters if you use the stock tethering or a third party app. It is not the tethering per se that triggers an alert from Tmobile, but rather something about carriers being able to identify the markings of PC desktop internet traffic. When servers communicate with a PC's a type of "desktop traffic is sent," and this is different than internet traffic between the servers and a mobile devices, and there is some way for Tmobile to differentiate between the two. The alert isn't automatic but rather Tmobile has to actually look at your traffic, and if your doing something to bring attention to yourself like out of the blue consuming a lot more data than you are more likely to be looked at.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks @jdbii for the quick response. I do follow the logic of the packet info being different from mobile device to desktop device and that would be a great way for TMO to determine if someone is tethering with out their approval.
Ill give it a whirl this weekend with the stock app and see if it eats my 500 megs.
Give me some time and ill try to report back my sucess.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted, I would use an app that requires root, because I think it is more likely to evade T-Mobile's monitoring. I don't know for sure if it works of course. But I think it is more likely.

I have an unlimited plan and am allowed 500mb of tethering a month, and I don't use it often. But I want to be off T-Mobile's radar in case I decide to go over that in the future. I use an app called Wifi Tether (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...googlecode.android.wifi.tether&token=rHYElh67), but I have been able to use FoxFi as well (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&token=AWism1yg). I have used both to tether on T-Mobile with a Nexus 4.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If you are rooted, I would use an app that requires root, because I think it is more likely to evade T-Mobile's monitoring

This of course is probably true, but I have yet to see somebody actually confirm this point.

The one thing I have seen people mention that they have had success with is using a "switch agent" add-on on their browser or using a VPN on their PC, but that doesn't apply to @iamsixnine questions because he isn't tethering to a PC.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ive already set up my N4 to use the stock wifi hot spot app with my Note 2 and N7.
Ill try to burn thru my 500 meg cap over the weekend and report back Monday or so with the results.
If tethering stops after 500 megs ill know its the stock app and supplied data, Then i will try WiFi Tether for root users. Ive already downloaded several versions and put them in my drop box folder on my device. Guess we shall see how it goes.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a stock N4 with TMO prepaid. I tethered my MacBook a couple of times using Android's stock capability, and it worked fine. I didn't get redirected to a page inviting me to sign up for a tethering plan, perhaps because I was only checking email. If I was doing something more bandwidth-intensive, that might have caught attention. Just a guess.

TruckinAint4Sissies

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I use the "USB" tethering option using Chrome + add-on "Android phone" user agent (on pc/laptop) it'll work just fine.

TA4S

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368921563465.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368921563465.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 21

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Jeff Denver what settings did you use to get wifi tether yo work on your nexus 4?
I've used that app before on other devices and I like it. Been trying different builds with different options no go.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

goscience

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 4 w/T-mobile.

I tried to set up tethering by checking the appropriate box in settings. It shows that I have established the tether but it also turns off my wifi reception from my router. If I turn on the Wifi the tethering gets unchecked.

I am not that techie. Is this a T-mobile block or is there some other thing to do?

goscience@aol.com

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think tethering to a N7 will alert Tmobile, and I would assume the same would be true for tethering to another mobile device. I've been following this forum since January and I have yet to see one person post they got a warning from Tmobile for tethering from a N4 to a N7... .

Sorry, you're mistaken. After 4.4, both my N7 and iPod Touch got the the little T-Mo web nag page. Until I hacked settings.db.

Nexus 4 w/T-mobile.

I tried to set up tethering by checking the appropriate box in settings. It shows that I have established the tether but it also turns off my wifi reception from my router. If I turn on the Wifi the tethering gets unchecked.

I am not that techie. Is this a T-mobile block or is there some other thing to do?

goscience@aol.com

Nothing to do with T-Mo. Your phone is acting as a router/gateway, hosting a unique wifi hotspot and routing Internet traffic over the cellular network.

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

rufusmcd

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have the TMO $30 unlimited data plan with an lg l9. I am trying to tether to my nexus 7. I have tried everything that I know of. When I try to change the database value it changes back after I reboot. Now I think TMO has a way to know if you have turned on a hot spot period. I put wifi tether router on my phone which is supposed to get around their block. When you activate it wifi turns off. It will not turn back on. The only way to get wifi back on is to reboot your phone I an running 4.1.2 on my phone. I have also tried to put Cyanogen mod on my phone but I cant unlock my bootloader. One again tutorial after tutorial. Video after video. Now I am thinking about buying an old nexus 4 to see if I can put Cyanogen mod on it. Shouldnt this work? It seems this one data plan from TMO is really the problem. Since it is unlimited they really have it locked down hard. Any comments or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It's unlimited but throttled at 5GB anyway so doesn't mean much if you could tether. I can't help you with the LG since I don't have it, as for the N4 it's very easy to root and do anything you want and there are plenty of helps you can find.
Here is a good discussion on the topic and a way to get tethering back with an app,

http://www.techguylabs.com/episodes/1039/what-happened-tethering-android
Geez Es File Explorer seems to have everything.

sent via tapatalk

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have the TMO $30 unlimited data plan with an lg l9. I am trying to tether to my nexus 7. I have tried everything that I know of. When I try to change the database value it changes back after I reboot. Now I think TMO has a way to know if you have turned on a hot spot period. I put wifi tether router on my phone which is supposed to get around their block. When you activate it wifi turns off. It will not turn back on. The only way to get wifi back on is to reboot your phone I an running 4.1.2 on my phone. I have also tried to put Cyanogen mod on my phone but I cant unlock my bootloader. One again tutorial after tutorial. Video after video. Now I am thinking about buying an old nexus 4 to see if I can put Cyanogen mod on it. Shouldnt this work? It seems this one data plan from TMO is really the problem. Since it is unlimited they really have it locked down hard. Any comments or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Two simple apps will have u tethering like me as u can see I tether well above 2.5 wifi tether for root users and the the first app in my Data slot in order to hide the fact u are tethering.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387794287028.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387794287028.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 6

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I finally found a relatively easy solution. I just used this app (Requires ROOT):

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter&token=aPMUgus0

Follow the instructions and it does work. The author is very responsive if you have questions. He responded to my email within minutes. You'll need to change your phone settings to IPv4 from IPv6. Instructions are in the app description. Otherwise I just used defaults. Yes it is paid, but it is cheap and it works where the free apps fail.

I was past my limit on TMobile for the month, and this app allowed me to continue tethering today. I assume it masks tether use from T-Mobile (otherwise I would not be able to tether at all right now) but I can't confirm yet. I guess I will find out next month if T-Mobile yells at me for it.

rufusmcd

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
What are the apps? I have tried hotspot and couldn't get it to connect but I will try again. I have also tried wifi tether router. It was the only one that didn't activate the TMO hotspot notification. But as soon as I activated the hotspot my WiFi would turn off. The only way to get wifi back on is to reboot. I had already changed my phone to IPv6 when I tried the database change method but I will look and try again.