AT&T Network Cycling

DrJekyl5

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I have read through many posts concerning the issues related to setting up and troubleshooting the nexus 4 to get hspa+ speeds on the AT&T network. But I have yet to find a solution to my particular issue.

I have my phone on a 4G smartphone plan, gave at&t an imei number from my old htc inspire 4g, and I have tried several APN set-ups posted.

Name: HSPA+
APN: phone
Proxy: Not Set
Port: Not Set
Username: Not Set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: Not Set
APN Type: default,supl,mms,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified

The problem I have is that my phone is constantly switching between HSPA 10, HSPA+ 15, & HSPAP 8.

Speed tests have varied from 0.03 Mbps to almost 7 Mbps download and low speeds always are accompanied by a 150+ms ping.

Any suggestions?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the same APN except I also have IPv6 selected for APN protocol and APN roaming protocol. I am ATT LTE plan post paid.

I see the network switch often and have heard it is the phone switching to save battery. It only uses HSPA+ when using data? My speed test is wonky also and I think that had been widely reported. Although the speedtest may show really crappy speeds does your data speeds seem ok when on the browser?

DrJekyl5

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It does seem to be hanging onto HSPA+15 fairly consistently when actively downloading a file. So like you said the cycling may just be due to the power management. However, I still rarely get the 5+Mbps speeds or the subjective speedy internet browsing I was experiencing with my previous 4G phones. Generally, data transfer rates seem much slower on the Nexus 4 when browsing compared to my HTC Inspire 4G or HTC Vivid on HSPA+. I am averaging in the 1-3 Mbps range with the Nexus 4 where I was seeing 5-10 Mbps with my previous HTC phones in the same locations on HSPA+. So far speed tests seems to be consistent with browsing experiences.

I am hoping this is something I can resolve, as other than the data network issue I absolutely love the Nexus 4. I am going to keep trying alternate APN set-ups and see if anything changes. Help please.

gmhotch

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I have seen the jumping between bands as well. It seems like the network is ramping up depending on the need for data. Usually at idle my screen shows 3g. As soon as it needs data it jumps to 4g hspap. Talked to Att and of course you get the same old rhetoric..."we don't support your device." One of the techs did say that the network is supposed to push the APN settings. I deleted all of them from settings and rebooted. Once back on I had no connection at all. Reloaded the APN phone and its still doing the same thing. I think its just inherent to save battery.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

wildmangk

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well im having bad luck with my N4. I received it yesterday and ATT DID switch me from an LTE unlimited to a 4G unlimited plan (grandfathered) and im only getting about 1.5 down and .90 up. Ive tried using different APN settings that ive come across on Google and no luck. The H never has a + next to it. All i show is the H. I live in Portland OR and I was told by the ATT Rep that i definitely have HSPA+ service here. In the end after 1 hour with tech support he told me to call LG for help...any suggestions/ideas?

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Update. My network was cutting out a lot yesterday so I took the IPv6 off the APN protocols and just left the IPv4. The switching, cutting out immediately stopped.
I noticed because I was trying to do google searches and the browser would say not connected to internet for several seconds and then try to connect. This was on mobile data and not wifi.

I am at home this morning but will head out to run errands in a bit and check it again.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Well im having bad luck with my N4. I received it yesterday and ATT DID switch me from an LTE unlimited to a 4G unlimited plan (grandfathered) and im only getting about 1.5 down and .90 up. Ive tried using different APN settings that ive come across on Google and no luck. The H never has a + next to it. All i show is the H. I live in Portland OR and I was told by the ATT Rep that i definitely have HSPA+ service here. In the end after 1 hour with tech support he told me to call LG for help...any suggestions/ideas?

The n4 will not show a H+ even if you have it. Only a H. The speed test app is not that accurate. It switches to HSPA+ 15 for data. When you use the internet on your phone does it seem faster than the speeds indicate? Try downloading a large file or updating an app that is large (on mobile data not wifi) and while doing it go quickly to:

setting> about phone> status> mobile network type and see if it ever says HSPA+:15

That indicates HSPA+. The APN in the first post of this thread is the APN I'm using.

wildmangk

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
The n4 will not show a H+ even if you have it. Only a H. The speed test app is not that accurate. It switches to HSPA+ 15 for data. When you use the internet on your phone does it seem faster than the speeds indicate? Try downloading a large file or updating an app that is large (on mobile data not wifi) and while doing it go quickly to:

setting> about phone> status> mobile network type and see if it ever says HSPA+:15

That indicates HSPA+

Thank you!!!! You are right, I went to the status menu and it does say HSPA+ 15 and it switches back and forth to 10...why? And yes I was basing it off the speed test app but my browser and downloads are pretty fast...any way to figure out my true speed if the speed test app isnt that accurate?

wildmangk

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

That indicates HSPA+. The APN in the first post of this thread is the APN I'm using.

Can you still share your APN settings?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Can you still share your APN settings?

They say the Nexus 4 switches network as a battery management tool. Not sure why it is not accurate, but I know mine works much faster than the speed test indicate. You are probably getting the same speeds as any phone on the HSPA+ network. 3-6 down average and sometimes faster.

This is the APN settings I am using:

Name: HSPA+
APN: phone
Proxy: Not Set
Port: Not Set
Username: Not Set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310