Nexus 4 "Contacts" & "People App" Issues

Hemmige S Prashanth

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Do any of you have the below issues?

1. I have two people on the contact list with the same first and last name, but obviously different numbers. They are differentiated by the organization in which they work. My question is - is it possible for the contacts display to show the organization too so that I know who I am calling?

2. The people app does not show phone numbers, just names. I need to do two clicks to get to the phone number. Interestingly, the "direct dial" widget brings up a screen with names + phone numbers which is exactly what is needed, but the people app does not bring that up.

3. Once you click on your group in the people app, say "Family", the contacts appear tiled - again, without numbers appearing. But there is no way to change the view to how the contacts look for example - with names / phone numbers line by line.

4. Once you begin adding a contact to the people app, if Google finds an existing name, a message appears - "Do you want to switch to the existing contact". If you say, "yes", then you can no longer add a phone number.

5. This issue is known - but there is no way to merge two contacts. One with an e-mail id and the other with a phone number.

6. When you create a contact, you have the option of associating that with a group. And that group list is not alphabetically ordered. I have quite a few custom groups and it is difficult to scroll through searching for the group I need.

Thanks,
Prashanth

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
1) Could a photo be helpful? If so you can link contacts up with fb pictures via 3rd party apps
5/6) Try gmail online to merge contacts.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

Do any of you have the below issues?

1. I have two people on the contact list with the same first and last name, but obviously different numbers. They are differentiated by the organization in which they work. My question is - is it possible for the contacts display to show the organization too so that I know who I am calling?

Reply: Sounds like the best solution is to use either a middle initial or add a contact photo (perhaps the company logo or some other picture for one of the individuals?)

2. The people app does not show phone numbers, just names. I need to do two clicks to get to the phone number. Interestingly, the "direct dial" widget brings up a screen with names + phone numbers which is exactly what is needed, but the people app does not bring that up.

Reply: Same answer as #1. I have over 1800 contacts, so I almost never scroll through the list to find someone. I search for them by typing part of their name. When duplication appears, their photo differentiates them for me.

3. Once you click on your group in the people app, say "Family", the contacts appear tiled - again, without numbers appearing. But there is no way to change the view to how the contacts look for example - with names / phone numbers line by line.

Reply: This view is meant to be visual (i.e. to view a contact's photo). Same answer. Use contact photos. I use contact photos extensively, so this has never been an issue for me.

4. Once you begin adding a contact to the people app, if Google finds an existing name, a message appears - "Do you want to switch to the existing contact". If you say, "yes", then you can no longer add a phone number.

Reply: This must be behavior unique to the Nexus 4, because I've never seen this behavior on my Galaxy Nexus. (Umm, say "no" next time?)

5. This issue is known - but there is no way to merge two contacts. One with an e-mail id and the other with a phone number.

Reply: You may not be able to Merge contacts with the People app, but you CAN "Join" two or more existing contacts so that all their data appears under one entry:
  1. Tap the first contact you wish to join to display it.
  2. Hit Menu | Edit.
  3. Hit Menu | Join.
  4. Select the contact you wish to Join.

6. When you create a contact, you have the option of associating that with a group. And that group list is not alphabetically ordered. I have quite a few custom groups and it is difficult to scroll through searching for the group I need.

Reply: I have a lot of custom groups, too. I'm not sure in what order they are presented when creating a contact (perhaps order created?). If I need to add a lot of contacts at once, I do it from the desktop. The group list order when adding a contact via phone has never been an issue for me. It's alphabetical when I display (i.e. actually use) the list.

Sushma Shankar

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Contacts never sync up with my google nexus 4 .. Error: Sync is currently facing problem. it will be back soon "
I wonder whether it will be back :(
Can somebody help me
??