N4 finally fell and the front glass shattered - what are my options?

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Well my luck finally ran out.

After five months of using a naked N4 I finally broke it. It has fallen numerous times to the ground before due to the slick back, but it usually it got through those drops unscathed. Tonight though it fell about four feet from what I thought was a mostly flat surface. When I looked at the screen I saw the dreaded "spider web" look of the glass. The screen no longer responds to touches.

So what are my options (or my best options)?

- Buying a new N4 16GB via google would cost about $400 with taxes and two-day shipping.
- Buying a new one via TMO would apparently cost $457.99 (plus taxes), but possible could be bought locally.
- Buying a replacement glass front kit or sending it off to get repaired = $???
(- Getting new phone now, eventually fixing screen and re-selling that one?)

There is a faint light brown yellow dot near the middle top area. I don't know if that means the screen is damaged or if that's just an effect of the shattered glass.

The worse part is that the screen is now unresponsive, meaning I can't move around in the phone at all.

Also, I never did a proper backup. I'm currently connected it to via my laptop via the Android File Transfer and transfered over some files (third-party camera app photos, regular camera app photos/vids, some recorded audios, screenshots, etc.) I never had mp3s or movies on it. Are there any essential files in other folders (like the Android one) that I should download? There are a few apps that have settings that aren't stored in the cloud that I'd like to save.

Since the screen is unresponsive I'm guessing it's too late now to do any sort of "proper" backup of it??

Thanks,

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well my luck finally ran out.

After five months of using a naked N4 I finally broke it. It has fallen numerous times to the ground before due to the slick back, but it usually it got through those drops unscathed. Tonight though it fell about four feet from what I thought was a mostly flat surface. When I looked at the screen I saw the dreaded "spider web" look of the glass. The screen no longer responds to touches.

So what are my options (or my best options)?

- Buying a new N4 16GB via google would cost about $400 with taxes and two-day shipping.
- Buying a new one via TMO would apparently cost $457.99 (plus taxes), but possible could be bought locally.
- Buying a replacement glass front kit or sending it off to get repaired = $???
(- Getting new phone now, eventually fixing screen and re-selling that one?)

There is a faint light brown yellow dot near the middle top area. I don't know if that means the screen is damaged or if that's just an effect of the shattered glass.

The worse part is that the screen is now unresponsive, meaning I can't move around in the phone at all.

Also, I never did a proper backup. I'm currently connected it to via my laptop via the Android File Transfer and transfered over some files (third-party camera app photos, regular camera app photos/vids, some recorded audios, screenshots, etc.) I never had mp3s or movies on it. Are there any essential files in other folders (like the Android one) that I should download? There are a few apps that have settings that aren't stored in the cloud that I'd like to save.

Since the screen is unresponsive I'm guessing it's too late now to do any sort of "proper" backup of it??

Thanks,

The glass is fused to both the display and the display frame. So don't crack the glass unless you're good with a heat gun, or you're fond of replacing the glass, display, and frame together ($$$).

Best option is probably buy it from the play store, it's cheaper and I'm sure you can wait a day or two for it to arrive. be patient. :)
Don't buy it from TMO, it's more expensive even if you can pick it up locally, it's not worth it.
I don't think you can fix the screen without dropping a bunch of money. Try and sell it as is on ebay or craigslist, I'm sure someone out there wants a broken one. either for parts or otherwise. If you can't sell it just use it as a hard drive. Screen not required! :D

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Unless you can repair it confidently would be the cheapest but IMO its probably best to order a new one from google, but if you have worked on a cell phone before it might be worth a shot

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Unless you can repair it confidently would be the cheapest but IMO its probably best to order a new one from google, but if you have worked on a cell phone before it might be worth a shot

Given enough time I could probably figure out the repair, although I haven't extensively worked on on a cell phone before. But as I don't have a backup phone, I'd like a replacement or fixed unit asap.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe LG will fix the screen for a cost. Last I read it was about $150. You should give them a call. (Not sure if you call Google first or LG but I am sure you can find that info). Maybe they will do the send you phone and put a hold on your credit card until you return it thing like they do with RMAs?

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I believe LG will fix the screen for a cost. Last I read it was about $150. You should give them a call. (Not sure if you call Google first or LG but I am sure you can find that info). Maybe they will do the send you phone and put a hold on your credit card until you return it thing like they do with RMAs?

I called a local place that "thinks" they can fix it for they "think" $250-300!

I called LG who stated that for the N4 they don't give any estimates until they receive the device. Once they receive it (at a TX address), their turnaround time is 5-7 business days. So with shipping time that's two weeks maybe.

At this point I might just get a new one, and then try to "cheaply" repair the broken one (and maybe try to re-sell it?).

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If that happened to my phone right now (not likely because I keep it in a defender style case), I'd order a new one as quick as I could get to my computer.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I called a local place that "thinks" they can fix it for they "think" $250-300!

I called LG who stated that for the N4 they don't give any estimates until they receive the device. Once they receive it (at a TX address), their turnaround time is 5-7 business days. So with shipping time that's two weeks maybe.

At this point I might just get a new one, and then try to "cheaply" repair the broken one (and maybe try to re-sell it?).

Yeah I would do something along the lines of that, get a new one and maybe fix the old one and sell if

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If that happened to my phone right now (not likely because I keep it in a defender style case), I'd order a new one as quick as I could get to my computer.

Ha, I actually have already placed a new Play order. It won't ship until Monday though at the earliest. I was just seeing if there were cheaper (and quick) alternatives (and then I'd cancel the order or return the shipment).

By my calculations, I paid about $2.25/day for the N4 that broke (had it about 154 days). That's not too bad, considering the use I got out of it.

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's too late to cancel your Play Store order but I think I saw on Android Police that you could get the Nexus 4 for $375 from some ebay deal. It isn't a ton cheaper but it could save you $25. Also, have you considered Swappa? There are always Nexus 4 phones for sale on there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Possibly, but I don't have insurance. In my 10 years of owning smartphones this is the first one I have damaged so badly.

Yeah. This is exactly why you get insurance. Kind of defeats the purpose if you get it AFTER it is broken. I haven't broken a phone in 5 years. But I have had insurance all 5. Why? Because of the issue you are having today. My insurance has no deductible for accidental damage, and it doesn't cost very much per month as compared to the hundreds of dollars you will now have to spend on a new phone. I hear people say "i've never broken a phone before" a million times. That's not the point of insurance. If you never have broken it, good for you, but it doesn't mean you will never break it.

I just don't get the logic when people say "I don't need insurance for my future when I've never broken it in the past." Just doesn't make sense....

Oh well. Best option is to buy a new one because fixing the glass will cost quite a bit. Also, if your screen is unresponsive, then it means it isn't just the glass, which is why they quoted you about $250 to repair.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I just don't get the logic when people say "I don't need insurance for my future when I've never broken it in the past." Just doesn't make sense....

I never claimed that I "didn't need" insurance. I was just stating that I didn't have it in the past or currently.

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
If I was you

I'd get a cheap GSM dumb phone, put my sim card in it and use it while I shipped my N4 to LG for repair. I've seen multiple threads on here stating LG has repaired their dropped phones for $150-$180

This is why I have a spare $10 GSM phone in my drawer for situations like this. I can live without a smart phone for a week or two, wouldn't kill me.

Jasondelliott

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
LG charged me $140 to "fix" my glass. In reality they sent a refurbished unit. Took less than a week from sending broken unit to getting replacement unit.

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Possibly, but I don't have insurance. In my 10 years of owning smartphones this is the first one I have damaged so badly.

Then you are way ahead. Used nexus 4 or new one . insurance never worth the cost unless you plan to break on purpose hoping for upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38