Does this Nexus 4 purchase strategy make sense?

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
My father covers my VZW wireless charges as a gift, I'm on his family plan. I currently use an old Samsung Droid Charge, and would like to get a Nexus 4, but since I'm eligible for an upgrade, I was thinking of getting an iPhone 5, and selling it as NIB on eBay to fund the purchase of the Nexus 4. Does that make sense? Is there any issues I'm not seeing with this approach?

I feel inclined to do this to recoup the "subsidy cost" that is built in the the VZW rates. It's crazy that they don't lower the monthly rate if you don't use a subsidized phone. If I wasn't on a "gifted" family plan, I would go to a discount carrier in a heartbeat.

Thanks!

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You wouldn't be able to use a nexus 4 on Verizon. It is gsm only so att T-Mobile or any of their prepaid plans and companies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey, welcome to android central! Unfortunately, the Nexus 4 does not support Verizons bands nor LTE, and Verizon is very nitpicky about phones that they will activate in their servers. If you are interested in a Nexus device on Verizon, your only option will be a Galaxy Nexus.

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, that makes sense. Sorry, I should have noticed the network incompatibility issue before posting. My father has an account at AT&T as well (he moved to iPhone last year, and maintains VZW for me and my sister), so I can probably cancel my VZW line, and move to AT&T with the same strategy..?

I'm not worried about loosing my phone number because I use a Google Voice number.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
why iphone 5? why not HTC One or S4. at least you will get option to buy it for a discount/free, saving more money

HTC one started showing up for $99 on sprint so it might be discounted for ATT. iphone 5 is always going to be $199

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Fair question.. I picked iPhone 5 because I thought it would have the highest demand and resale value, thus providing a higher profit.

I just looked at eBay, and it looks like new iPhone 5 smartphones are selling for around $650, and HTC One smartphones are selling for around $600, so if I can pick up the HTC for $99, I think that would be a better deal.. Thanks!

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
@TheArchitect: Since we pay the premium rates, and I'm eligible for a subsidized upgrade, I was just trying to take advantage of that.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Fair question.. I picked iPhone 5 because I thought it would have the highest demand and resale value, thus providing a higher profit.

I just looked at eBay, and it looks like new iPhone 5 smartphones are selling for around $650, and HTC One smartphones are selling for around $600, so if I can pick up the HTC for $99, I think that would be a better deal.. Thanks!

Then you would have to pay an early term fee on a brand new contract, I think that's $350 on VZW.

Just activate a new line on ATT sell that phone and buy a Nexus

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
@.46Caliber: Yes, that's what I plan to do. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Just wanted confirmation that this plan would work.

You would have to wait until after your first 14 days to do that. Else wise they will try and stick you with the retail cost of the phone. But if you think about it. You would be paying $199 for the iPhone 5. And etf of $375. And if you buy a brand new nexus 4 that's $300. You may be able to sell the iPhone 5 stock for about $550 max. Add everything up and your still paying $325 out of your own pocket.

I would just buy the nexus 4 straight up at that point. And go month to month on your fathers plan with no contract.

You could also buy the iPhone 5. Then buy one of atts prepaid basic phones for $20 and have them activate a new sim card for that while you sell the iPhone and buy the nexus 4. Just would have to use a basic phone for a little while at that point.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I did something similar with Att last year. I used an upgrade on our family plan and got a GS3 for 99 bucks. I then sold the gs3 and picked up a N4.
I had no problems with Att since I'm still fulfilling that contract, I'm just using a different device.
Not sure if Verizon would be different since they are CDMA and its more difficult to swap devices vs just swapping over a sim card.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Why not just get the S4 on AT&T? It's a better device than the Nexus 4 in my opinion and it will be less of a hassle to get it. You will get a bigger screen with a higher resolution, more memory if you get the 32GB version, LTE, and a faster processor.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

wildmangk

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
why iphone 5? why not HTC One or S4. at least you will get option to buy it for a discount/free, saving more money

HTC one started showing up for $99 on sprint so it might be discounted for ATT. iphone 5 is always going to be $199

ATT is having a sale for the S4 and HTC ONE for 99$ after a 100$ credit for your smartphone trade in

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Why not just get the S4 on AT&T? It's a better device than the Nexus 4 in my opinion and it will be less of a hassle to get it. You will get a bigger screen with a higher resolution, more memory if you get the 32GB version, LTE, and a faster processor.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Really?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Well its nice to get the newer phones, I.e. HTC One and/or Galaxy S4 if you're willing to remain on a 2 yr contract. Plus, not to mention the phone plans. Even if the phone costs you $199.99 or $99.99 as a "discounted" price, you will pay more in the long run, er over the span of 2 yrs if you remain on contract. If its as if you were paying for the phone over 24 mos (2 years), plus additional costs for the plan of your choice. If you buy the Nexus 4 outright through Google Play for $349, then you won't have to be on contract and are free to go with anyone if you like. Well, not anyone. Those with the networks that the Nexus 4 is compatible with. Hope this bit of info helped, if any. Cheers!

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Well its nice to get the newer phones, I.e. HTC One and/or Galaxy S4 if you're willing to remain on a 2 yr contract. Plus, not to mention the phone plans. Even if the phone costs you $199.99 or $99.99 as a "discounted" price, you will pay more in the long run, er over the span of 2 yrs if you remain on contract. If its as if you were paying for the phone over 24 mos (2 years), plus additional costs for the plan of your choice. If you buy the Nexus 4 outright through Google Play for $349, then you won't have to be on contract and are free to go with anyone if you like. Well, not anyone. Those with the networks that the Nexus 4 is compatible with. Hope this bit of info helped, if any. Cheers!

Posted via Android Central App

True but in my case I have been with att since 1997 and am not going to switch because they offer the best network where I live. Might as well take advantage of the subsidy while it exists. The OP said his Dad is with ATT and he could port his number over. I realize the price of the N4 has fueled the pre paid or no contract craze but not for me. I am happy with my att service and do not mind paying for a premium network.