It's been real, Nexus 4

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's been real my fellow Nexus 4 owners. I sold my phone and got the HTC One. After owning it for almost 8 months now, I got sick of many of the bugs, but it was really tough to let it go. I travelled with that phone to different parts of the world, and it worked like a charm everywhere it went.

I will always look back at the Nexus 4 as the phone as a issue-riddled phone that still found a way to be amazing, and it is still amazing to think that in a time of technology where devices have such a short lifespan, this is still arguably a top-5 Android phone in the market. Sadly, I need my phone for important personal use, and I just couldn't find it to be a 100% reliable.

If any of you are wondering, the HTC One has been great so far. The build and feel is solid, the battery is nice, the connection/antennas are nice (important!), and they weren't kidding in the reviews about how wonderful the speakers are. There are many aspects of the Nexus 4 and stock Android I will miss, but I do enjoy Sense 5, and the HTC One feels stable and works properly, which is what I need.

I hope those of you still sticking it out with the Nexus 4 are still having a great time with it. It is a truly special phone, and it still is. Take care all, and maybe I'll see a few of you in the HTC One side sometime soon too.

xex13b

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious about the bugs as well. The only problem I have had with my n4 so far is one time it would not find my wifi at all. I had spent the day at work trying to find another wifi to use and when I got home it showed no wifi anywhere around me and said my router was not in range even though it is right next to me. I fixed it by restarting the phone, and it has not happened since then.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
What bugs?? If you're flashing ROMs, kernels, radios and all that, you have no right to complain about bugs. But if you're talking about the stock, out of the box experience as buggy, I have NO clue what you're going on about here. I'm stock, rooted sure & with a custom kernel, but I still don't see bugs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Bugs?? What are those?
220px-Classic_bugsbunny.png

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what are these bugs that you speak of?

It isn't necessarily bugs per say, but issues with the phone. I can list some out:

My first Nexus 4 (back when the second bath of shippments shipped out - late November, and I received mine in December):

-Earpiece buzz, microphone issues, wi-fi issues, GPS issues, frequent loss of signal, battery

Then I got a new replacement with those "bumps" when I finally had enough of those above issues. Sadly some problems still persisted though. Here they are:

- Loss of signal (biggest issues), still some microphone issues, and Wi-Fi issues, battery

The loss of signal was the biggest cause for concern for me. I am a frequent driver and traveller. Whenever I took the Nexus 4 anywhere, it will literally go to zero bars. It was fine the first time, but got annoying when the replacement still had the same issues. It was also quite dangerous when I'm travelling and how frequent it cuts out. The Wi-Fi connectivity wasn't stellar either, and for some reason, no Vo-Ip worked well with the Nexus 4.

Not only that, but for work use, it was even worse. It had really bad signal reception, always around -100+. That along with the LOS, made it unreliable for me for day-to-day use. I need my phone to work at all times, and this phone sadly couldn't prove that.

For normal usage of FB, Twitter, games, etc....This is a wonderful phone. It is also great to tinker with. But I didn't have time for that, and I bought this phone specifically because I didn't have to do anything to it to have the wonderful Nexus experience. I wanted a simple phone that worked. It certainly was a simple and wonderful phone, but it just doesn't work when it needs to.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
What bugs?? If you're flashing ROMs, kernels, radios and all that, you have no right to complain about bugs. But if you're talking about the stock, out of the box experience as buggy, I have NO clue what you're going on about here. I'm stock, rooted sure & with a custom kernel, but I still don't see bugs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I didn't flash or root the Nexus at all. I specifically bought it because I didn't want to. And I have read many guides online about fixing the bugs. But I don't have time for that, and I didn't expect to buy a phone to fix its bugs.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
To give you guys an example, I was at my work desk today, where my Nexus 4 would fluctuate between 2 bars to zero (loss of signal). The HTC One has held a solid two bars with no issues with its data connection. The battery on the One has also been working stellar. The Nexus 4 is usually around 40-30% by now, but the HTC One is still doing fine.

tmac9wr

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one who was surprised to see "bugs" listed.

However I have from time to time lost signal without warning and it's extremely frustrating...thankfully it isn't very often.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
This is the internet, and I've barely read anything about the N4 radios that wasn't a LTE question. OP...your carrier s*cks. No phone will fix that. I owned the gnex that was notorious for poor radios. N4 gets the same or better signals than the gnex (mine had proper radios), sgs3, and gn2 when I had all of them to test. The best devices of 2013 are on the doorstep, too. That said, take care and enjoy the One. Super nice build, lovely speakers, and almost as fast as an N4 (well...mine). Yes, that was a little jab. See ya!

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I travelled with that phone to different parts of the world, and it worked like a charm everywhere it went.

Cool! Where did you go with your Nexus 4? Do you think mobile networks are better (in terms of coverage and data speed) in other countries? Also, I hope you took great photos (or maybe even a photo sphere) of the places you visited.

This is why I'm glad Google sells unlocked devices that can be used around the world. It's the ultimate travel phone! :D

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
This is the internet, and I've barely read anything about the N4 radios that wasn't a LTE question. OP...your carrier s*cks. No phone will fix that. I owned the gnex that was notorious for poor radios. N4 gets the same or better signals than the gnex (mine had proper radios), sgs3, and gn2 when I had all of them to test. The best devices of 2013 are on the doorstep, too. That said, take care and enjoy the One. Super nice build, lovely speakers, and almost as fast as an N4 (well...mine). Yes, that was a little jab. See ya!

Are you sure you have't seen anything online? Here are just a few of the many comments pertaining to bad radios/LOS on the Nexus 4:

[TROUBLESHOOT] T-Mobile Loss of Signal & No data OR data drop (grey bars) - xda-developers
[Q] Nexus 4 Signal Strength... Antenna Firmware Radio Problem? anyone else? - xda-developers
[LOS] Frequent signal loss - Nexus 4 | T-Mobile Support
[Q] Signal issue, new Nexus 4 design - xda-developers

Just a few of the many.

The next great devices are on the doorstep, but the HTC One will suffice. It does everything I need it to do, and it does it pretty well too. And like you mentioned, great build and speakers are wonderful! And thanks! (I'm sure a nice rooted Nexus 4 can really take advantage of its wonderful quad core processor haha)

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If you have a crappy cell provider, you are going to experience poor signal, no matter what the phone. My question to you, is if you have moved on and got another phone, why do you feel compelled to come back to this forum with the sole intent to bash the Nexus 4, when there are many N4 users that love the phone, including me? Do you just like stirring up hate and discontent?

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If you don't care for the thread, don't feel compelled to post in it. If you believe a post is inappropriate, feel free to hit the report button.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch