Serious issues with LG 960/ Nexus4 screen

Sanjay Parab

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I got this phone 4 days ago from Google play store. To protect my investment, I also brought a Ballistic Protection from Amazon. Last week Saturday, I accidentally dropped the phone, around 2 feet from the ground. I was shocked to see that the screen cracked this bad despite having the ballistic case on. I seriously believe their is a design flaw and that the glass despite being a gorilla glass is too think and brittle. To make matters worse, I did contact LG customer service who appeared sympathetic but indicated that their will be a cost associated. I agreed but wanted to know the price. They (customer service) indicated that only their technician can tell me the price. I repeatedly asked them for the cost of repairing the glass. I understand that if there is additional damage then the cost will increase but they could have provided me with the basic cost. Very disappointing experience. I don't think, I will buy another nexus again.

Attachments

• IMG_20130826_142433[1].jpg
    IMG_20130826_142433[1].jpg
    916.1 KB · Views: 51

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
And was that 2 feet or 2 meters?

Seriously, this degree of damage hardly seems likely from a 2 foot drop. I've dropped my N4 from at least 4 feet with nothing more than a soft plastic TPU case onto a tiled bathroom floor and suffered zero damage.

n3wDaddy77

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain. That looks pretty bad, but I must agree with others. I've dropped my N4 from around 3 feet onto brick and I only have a Ringke Fusion case. My unit suffered no damage whatsoever.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Sanjay Parab

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
While the entire screen cracked, it was not that bad, but as I frantically tried to start the phone and swiped the screen it became progressively worse and took off like a spider web. It took me a while to realize that when the screen cracks LG locks the screen and no matter how much you try, you cannot unlock the phone when the screen cracks. And no it didn't land on a rock, but flooring was stone flooring. I am told by LG and others it depends on the angle it lands on. Thanks anyways.

adam514

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Bottom line: don't buy a glass phone if you think you're the type to drop your phone. Honestly i've had the N4 since Dec. and haven't dropped it further than a foot just recently and it was carpet. I have a basic TPU case that's all. There's nothing wrong with Nexus devices, but like anything else a little care goes a long way! Good luck on the repair.

jose3456

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Ive dropped my nexus 4 from 3.2 feet face flat on to hard title with an ionic guardian armor case and nothing happened by the way i feel sorry for you and did you have the screen protectors that come on with the nexus 4 when you first got it because those are pretty good

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AC Forums mobile app

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
What did it land on? That looks like the type of case that would raise the phone a bit so it doesn't land flat on its face.. Maybe not though. In the end though you can't blame the phone when you dropped it.

John Beirne

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I watched the videos of those ballistic sheild cases and I'm sure they guarantee that the case can protect the phone from all sorts of abuse. Isn't that case quite expensive? You should contact them also.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using AC Forums mobile app

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Ive dropped my nexus 4 from 3.2 feet face flat on to hard title with an ionic guardian armor case and nothing happened by the way i feel sorry for you and did you have the screen protectors that come on with the nexus 4 when you first got it because those are pretty good

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AC Forums mobile app

That is not a real screen protector that is on the new phone, it is so the screen doesn't get scratched while it is being shipped.

Sanjay Parab

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
See Adam accidents don't come calling, they happen. If I did not have Ballistic protection, I would not even have come to this forum. When this happens despite having all protections, it points to a probable design flaw. I have used many glass cell phones the past several years, and have seen worse falls even without any protection on them. On further investigating this issue, I have heard that the gorilla glass is too thin and negates any effect it may have in protecting the fall. This phone also had the original screen protector that came from Nexus on it when it fell.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's not a screen protector.. Its just the plastic they put in the device so it doesn't get scratched before you get it.. And that flimsy thing certainly won't protect the phone from a fall. If it was a screen protector then Google would have mentioned the phone came with one.. Its not so they didn't say anything about it. And Sanjay you still haven't told us what it landed on. What kind of ground? Perhaps it was uneven.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
See Adam accidents don't come calling, they happen. If I did not have Ballistic protection, I would not even have come to this forum. When this happens despite having all protections, it points to a probable design flaw. I have used many glass cell phones the past several years, and have seen worse falls even without any protection on them. On further investigating this issue, I have heard that the gorilla glass is too thin and negates any effect it may have in protecting the fall. This phone also had the original screen protector that came from Nexus on it when it fell.

Gorilla glass affords no extra protection against falls and breaking, it is to protect against scratches.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's not a screen protector.. Its just the plastic they put in the device so it doesn't get scratched before you get it.. And that flimsy thing certainly won't protect the phone from a fall. If it was a screen protector then Google would have mentioned the phone came with one.. Its not so they didn't say anything about it. And Sanjay you still haven't told us what it landed on. What kind of ground? Perhaps it was uneven.

Well it feels like one and I still have it on and they serve me well

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

It may "feel" like one, but it isn't one.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
So would a piece of toilet tissue, but that isn't a screen protector either.

Yeah, but you couldn't use the device using your strategy. I used mine for at least a couple months with the shipping plastic on it. It protects the screen from scratches and doesn't affect the sensitivity at all. Just because it doesn't meet your high standards for a "screen protector", not sure why you feel the need to belittle the people it works/worked for...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty