Question regarding $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan.

Steven Spires

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

As you all probably know, t-mobile has the popular 5gb 4g plan that many nexus 4 users have. Now, I just have one question, after you run out of the $G speeds (even though the nexus 4 doesn't have 4g) do you continue getting the HSPA+ connection or is it much lower speeds?

Thanks for any help. ^^

dakid2k6

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not on the plan but being that they consider 4g to be hspa+ I would guess that once you pass 5gb you get throttled to edge speeds.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not on the plan but being that they consider 4g to be hspa+ I would guess that once you pass 5gb you get throttled to edge speeds.

Correct. And, in case you didn't know, Edge is painfully, painfully slow. All but useless, even for browsing the simplest web pages.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The most I've ever gone through in a month was about 4.5GB. Most months I'm lucky if I break 1.5GB, much less 2GB. And that's with me:
• Streaming music from my private Google Play archive;
• Talking mostly over GrooVe IP;
• Sending/receiving email (I can't believe how few emails I send any more!);
• Doing almost all of my messaging over MessageMe.

Occasionally, I watch a movie over Netflix, and so obviously that does increase my usage a bit, but it's never yet been that big a deal.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
What N4Newbie and Tall Mike said. I have yet to even use half of my 5GB limit, but then I'm also on wireless a good chunk of the day. 5GB is a lot if you're not constantly downloading huge files or using your phone as a hotspot (which technically is not allowed under the $30 plan).

kda_0420

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello! I am looking for an affordable T mobile plan. Anyone could suggest a good option? I have heard that Comfi.com company has a variety of great plans and services for international calling. Thank you.

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Passing this along for users of the $30 (or any) T-Mobile plan, and I didn't want to start a new thread.

Target periodically has TMO prepaid cards on sale; I've seen it twice in the past 3 months. (I don't usually walk through that aisle, but I am making a point of it now). It wasn't a lot off, $2 maybe, but hey every little bit counts, plus I'm still leery of buying cards on eBay. I have a Target "red card" and using that, I saved another 5%.

I couldn't find a sale this month, but here is something else interesting that I discovered - when I buy through Target, they don't (so far) charge the 911 tax that my state recently instituted. And more interesting, I just bought a card online and they didn't charge sales tax. I would have thought they would, since they have stores here, but I saw someone mention this on one of the online reviews and I tried it. (I saw some online comments elsewhere that indicate this varies from state to state). So even without the sale, I saved $3.90 on the $30 card. FWIW, on paper I also saved shipping costs (4.98) with the red card, but don't count that because I wouldn't have bought it if I had to pay shipping, although for a bigger denomination card it might be worth it. (ETA-just being clear, I still ended up paying $28.49, but $3.90 off of what I would have paid at TMO online).

Last edited: