Government shutdown may be why no Nexus 5 announcement (or even an announcement of an announcement)

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought about this last week. I know there were some indications that the Nexus 5 was at least in the process of FCC Certification, but I couldn't find anything indicating it had completed. Those of us waiting for a Nexus 5 could be in for a long wait... Device sales delays possible as US shutdown halts FCC reviews - Livemint "Washington: Device makers such as Google Inc. may have to delay introductions of new smartphones and other products because the partial US government shutdown halted certifications that the gadgets don?t cause interference."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Makes sense... very uncool. Obviously Nexus needs to be a priority /s :) Seriously though, great example of things that get lost in the mix.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I was expecting to see some BS about Democrats/Republicans blah blah blah..... But this makes total sense.
It will come when it comes...

Courtland Park

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The article does mention that devices that are released in the 4th quarter are typically passed through FCC by June or July. So I'd guess this isn't really the reason why we aren't hearing anything yet.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
More logical than I was expecting. I was thinking they could use other countries but I guess they wouldnt want a delayed roll out.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The article does mention that devices that are released in the 4th quarter are typically passed through FCC by June or July. So I'd guess this isn't really the reason why we aren't hearing anything yet.
And most, if not all of what the government employees do is approve the certifications. Most, if not all, of the actual testing is done at certified labs, which won't get shut down. The companies also know ahead of time if they'll pass or not if they know what they're doing (which the big ones, do). At this point it would be some sort of production issue that would delay an announcement and probably not an FCC certification.

jose3456

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Google is not funded by the government so it can't be because of the government shut down or else Google search would be down they are going to announce it by the end of the month or early november

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Jose but they are saying products need government approval to be on the market particularly cellular devices, without gov approval they cannot be sold.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Let's remember that what is believed to be the Nexus 5 has already visited the FCC.

If that's all the certification it needs, then I don't believe that the government shutdown will postpone the announcement pending a government that can figure itself out. If there's more certification needed, it may be an issue. Also keep in mind that the FCC does, in fact, refrain from disclosing some information until after the device has been released, and for some it does so indefinitely (trade secrets and competitive advantages and whatnot).

Plus there's this: Nestle may be hinting at Android 4.4 KitKat launch on October 28th

I'm not sure why some are assuming some sort of problem with the Nexus 5 announcement/launch just because it didn't happen on the 14th/15th as they had hoped.

Last edited: