Is there any difference between OTA and loading Factory Image?

mohsinkhan35

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I received KitKat OTA, and until now, I haven't experienced any forced errors. Couple of days ago I played around with my N4 and tried to install firefox OS, I installed MultiRom, and then my N4 wouldn't boot. So I went back to bootloader and loaded a 4.4.2 factory image. With factory image, I have experienced at least a couple of forced errors per day. So should I revert back to 4.3 and get KitKat OTA? I have experienced an unusual amount of forced errors on all the apps, I will try to reload the factory image, hopefully it was just a broken installation.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I received KitKat OTA, and until now, I haven't experienced any forced errors. Couple of days ago I played around with my N4 and tried to install firefox OS, I installed MultiRom, and then my N4 wouldn't boot. So I went back to bootloader and loaded a 4.4.2 factory image. With factory image, I have experienced at least a couple of forced errors per day. So should I revert back to 4.3 and get KitKat OTA? I have experienced an unusual amount of forced errors on all the apps, I will try to reload the factory image, hopefully it was just a broken installation.

In general, because loading a factory image forces a full system wipe (unless you removed the "-w" option), it is usually the preferred way to install *IF* you want the install to be as "clean" as possible (free of errors, crashes, negative effects on battery, etc). OTAs are -- again, in general -- more prone to issues it seems.

If you're getting a LOT of force closes upon opening up just about any app and on startup, you may want to run "fix permissions" from recovery (assuming you have a custom recovery installed?) to see if that may fix it... but if it's something else, I'd advise re-installing from factory image, and also making sure that the option to preform the full wipe is left enabled on the install command.

mohsinkhan35

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
In general, because loading a factory image forces a full system wipe (unless you removed the "-w" option), it is usually the preferred way to install *IF* you want the install to be as "clean" as possible (free of errors, crashes, negative effects on battery, etc). OTAs are -- again, in general -- more prone to issues it seems.

If you're getting a LOT of force closes upon opening up just about any app and on startup, you may want to run "fix permissions" from recovery (assuming you have a custom recovery installed?) to see if that may fix it... but if it's something else, I'd advise re-installing from factory image, and also making sure that the option to preform the full wipe is left enabled on the install command.

No , I didn't remove the -w option. After installing custom recover my phone was stuck in boot loop and my linux wouldn't detect my N4 to load a custom rom. So, I wanted to go back to barebone stock, went to stock bootloader and loaded the image from there. After the image was loaded, I locked the bootloader by running "fastboot oem lock".
Before going through the process again, I tried factory reset and I believe it has improved the situation a bit. In past 2 hours of usage , the only error I got was"launcher stopped working" GMAIL app. Thats good to know Factory Image is less prone to problems because for me it did the opposite.

Also when I was experiencing crashes, I was on ART runtime, now I am on Dalvik.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
No , I didn't remove the -w option. After installing custom recover my phone was stuck in boot loop and my linux wouldn't detect my N4 to load a custom rom. So, I wanted to go back to barebone stock, went to stock bootloader and loaded the image from there. After the image was loaded, I locked the bootloader by running "fastboot oem lock".
Before going through the process again, I tried factory reset and I believe it has improved the situation a bit. In past 2 hours of usage , the only error I got was"launcher stopped working" GMAIL app. Thats good to know Factory Image is less prone to problems because for me it did the opposite.

Also when I was experiencing crashes, I was on ART runtime, now I am on Dalvik.

how did you load the stock image after` installing stock recovery??

if you used Android SDK and factory image script then the data will be wiped...

for me factory image restore fix most issues

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If you open /extract the official factory images from Google using a good zip extraction program like 7zip you will find a file inside called " flash-all ". You boot into your bootloader and connect up via USB cable then on your computer from that extracted tgz factory image file you have from Google find and click that flash-all file and it will properly wipe and flash everything for you.

It's a fully automated script from Google and handles the manual flash perfectly.

Sent from my awesome HTC One