Nexus 4 turned off by itself?!

tashad310

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I'm new to android central but anyways, I recently left Samsung and decided to try out Nexus 4. I actually planned to test it out so I kept the plastics on the charger and everything, and left everything in the box because I want to sell it for the Nexus 5. Anyways, I've used it for exactly a week now and it's been working just fine, but last night was the second time I left it charging overnight. Since I kept all of its stuff in the box, I use the charger from my Nexus 7 to charge it. It's been working fine so far, but today I woke up from my alarm, took my phone off charge and it worked perfectly. I went back to sleep with the phone beside me and when I woke up, it wouldn't turn on. Anyways, I got really worried and eventually it safe booted when I pressed power + vol. down. I pressed "Start" and now it's up and running but when it powered back on, it showed 85% battery instead of 100% considering it was on charge for about 8 hours. I know this isn't because of battery hibernation because I put it on charge while it was at about 4% I believe. I've looked around everywhere online and I can find people with similar problems but all of them have something like the phone going into hibernation or such. But Mine did not do anything like that. Can anyone please explain why this happened? The phone still has warranty but I really can't afford to go without a phone for 3 weeks if I send it in. Thanks so much!!! :)

P.S. It's running the latest KitKat, I've never rooted it, flashed it or anything like that. I am running the Google Experience Launcher.

Edit: I read that Nexus 7 chargers use 0.8 more current that the Nexus 4 chargers. Can that be the case? Thanks again guys! :)

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I'm new to android central but anyways, I recently left Samsung and decided to try out Nexus 4. I actually planned to test it out so I kept the plastics on the charger and everything, and left everything in the box because I want to sell it for the Nexus 5. Anyways, I've used it for exactly a week now and it's been working just fine, but last night was the second time I left it charging overnight. Since I kept all of its stuff in the box, I use the charger from my Nexus 7 to charge it. It's been working fine so far, but today I woke up from my alarm, took my phone off charge and it worked perfectly. I went back to sleep with the phone beside me and when I woke up, it wouldn't turn on. Anyways, I got really worried and eventually it safe booted when I pressed power + vol. down. I pressed "Start" and now it's up and running but when it powered back on, it showed 85% battery instead of 100% considering it was on charge for about 8 hours. I know this isn't because of battery hibernation because I put it on charge while it was at about 4% I believe. I've looked around everywhere online and I can find people with similar problems but all of them have something like the phone going into hibernation or such. But Mine did not do anything like that. Can anyone please explain why this happened? The phone still has warranty but I really can't afford to go without a phone for 3 weeks if I send it in. Thanks so much!!! :)

P.S. It's running the latest KitKat, I've never rooted it, flashed it or anything like that. I am running the Google Experience Launcher.

Edit: I read that Nexus 7 chargers use 0.8 more current that the Nexus 4 chargers. Can that be the case? Thanks again guys! :)

Perhaps the safe boot consumed 15% battery

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't see why would have caused it to turn off like that. Perhaps it is the charger, but I'm sure a lot of people do the same thing with their Nexus 7 chargers without issues. You can try a factory reset and see if that clears up any issues. Possible consider switching to the charger the device came with just to be safe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Also it may be something like Google+ or another app eating a lot of battery while the phone is meant to be in standby. If the apps conflict or fight for power, it may overload the processor and cause a shutdown.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

jimrebello

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine has occasionally locked up and I have had to soft reset, but I never saw battery drain from it. Everyone else I know with an N4 had had thus happen at least once.

Posted via Android Central App

tashad310

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Also it may be something like Google+ or another app eating a lot of battery while the phone is meant to be in standby. If the apps conflict or fight for power, it may overload the processor and cause a shutdown.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

I don't think that can be the case because I'm really picky with my app selection and NEVER let any app run in the background. I also have very few of them.

tashad310

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
OH and thanks for the help guys, still don't know why this happened. It runs perfect, I even charged it for another 4 hours just to test it out, but I'm a little paranoid now.

tashad310

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I can't see why would have caused it to turn off like that. Perhaps it is the charger, but I'm sure a lot of people do the same thing with their Nexus 7 chargers without issues. You can try a factory reset and see if that clears up any issues. Possible consider switching to the charger the device came with just to be safe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Hey srkmagnus,

Yeah I switched the charger to stock just to be safe. The most recent apps I downloaded were QPython (Python compliler) and AIDE (Android Integrated Developers Environment) since I'm a developer. I don't think they cause to much of an issue. And if I did a factory reset, there would be no way of me noticing because it works perfectly fine now. Anyways, considering your post count, you seem to know alot about android.So my question to you is, do you think this problem will be consistent? Should I send it in to Google? or is this common or just a one time bug? I know I'm asking you questions like how the hell are you supposed to know but I'm taking a shot :p

Thanks so much!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this pertains to the problem here but just to give an example ever since I first used my Meenova my phone began acting a little weird. It even froze up after the second time. Granted that's not the case here but it shows that ordinary usage can cause a problem that is hard to understand.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually, now that I think more about it, every time my phone had a problem the Poweramp widget crashed. Since I removed the Poweramp widget I have had no further problems.

So... do you have any widgets that could be causing problems? If they're crashing that's a red flag.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Try running the phone in safe mode to see if it is an app that is causing the problem. To run in safe mode hold the power button until the menu pops ups and hold onto the power off selection which will allow you to boot into safe mode. Also, if you were to RMA your device, google send you the replacement phone before you have to send your existing one back, unless you got it from somewhere else of course.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey srkmagnus,

Yeah I switched the charger to stock just to be safe. The most recent apps I downloaded were QPython (Python compliler) and AIDE (Android Integrated Developers Environment) since I'm a developer. I don't think they cause to much of an issue. And if I did a factory reset, there would be no way of me noticing because it works perfectly fine now. Anyways, considering your post count, you seem to know alot about android.So my question to you is, do you think this problem will be consistent? Should I send it in to Google? or is this common or just a one time bug? I know I'm asking you questions like how the hell are you supposed to know but I'm taking a shot :p

Thanks so much!
I definitely don't see this happening often and it should hopefully have been a one time occurrence. Keep a close eye on it and if it continues Then consider contacting Google for repair.

Aside from that issue, how are you liking the Nexus?

tashad310

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I definitely don't see this happening often and it should hopefully have been a one time occurrence. Keep a close eye on it and if it continues Then consider contacting Google for repair.

Aside from that issue, how are you liking the Nexus?

Phew! Thank you! I'm hoping this is a software issue and not related to hardware at all. I LOVE the Nexus! It's amazing! Using Nexus 7 was fun but I only used it at home. The Nexus 4 is so fast and looks amazing compared to touchwiz. Samsung would be so much better if they updated their android presentation. I've always disliked BlackBerry aswell but I think if they only upgraded to Android instead of the ****ty Blackberry 7 or 10 OS, they would be much better. Anyways I love Google and the Nexus is amazing! Especially with the Nexus 5 launcher installed!

azeezsv

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I recently upgraded my Nexus S to Nexus 4. Unfortunately, new Nexus 4 is switching off at random, by itself. One observation is that it happens more often while charging - when it reaches 99%. It is also switching off while not in use.

Because of this, I missed many wake-up calls / alarms and important calls. When I searched internet, I understood that this is a known issue and many users are getting frustrated because of this.

I am using original charger. I also tried with charger from Nexus S. But no difference. Does any one have any clue - why it is happening as well as any solutions ?

Thanks

Choicelink

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I recently upgraded my Nexus S to Nexus 4. Unfortunately, new Nexus 4 is switching off at random, by itself. One observation is that it happens more often while charging - when it reaches 99%. It is also switching off while not in use.

Because of this, I missed many wake-up calls / alarms and important calls. When I searched internet, I understood that this is a known issue and many users are getting frustrated because of this.

I am using original charger. I also tried with charger from Nexus S. But no difference. Does any one have any clue - why it is happening as well as any solutions ?

Thanks

Check the timeout settings. They may be set too high. I had my Nexus 4 power down by itself and then set the sleep timeout to one minute. Now it works OK with no power down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays