Nexus 4: Really need some help Please

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Well I dropped my phone today and broke the display screen and it won't respond to touch now. I am getting a replacement because I had a device protection plan on it but I will have to send this one back so I want to wipe all my info off of it. I have started to delete stuff off of it by hooking my laptop up to it but I am wondering if this is sufficient and if there is anything I should be aware of or could miss? Also how can I download all my contacts off of my phone to my laptop?
If I start it in developer mode and use the volume buttons and power button to navigate will I be able to wipe it or do a factory reset?
Yes I know I should have put device manager on it but I didn't!!!!

thank You for any help!!

Last edited by a moderator:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Really need some help Please

Yeah, go to recovery mode and when it's loaded tap volume up and power together to enable the recovery menu, from there you can factory reset.

If you had sync enabled your contacts should be backed up to Google's servers.

Posted via Android Central App

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, go to recovery mode and when it's loaded tap volume up and power together to enable the recovery menu, from there you can factory reset.
Thank You for responding!!
If you had sync enabled your contacts should be backed up to Google's servers.
Where do I look in google to see if my contacts were backed up? I can't seem to find anything that has my contacts phone numbers and names.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

You can view and manager your contacts at

Www.Google.com/contacts

If you don't have a backup there and your bootloader is locked I'm not sure what you can do. I suppose you could try connecting a mouse, but you'd need a split otg cable...

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

You can view and manager your contacts at

Redirecting...

If you don't have a backup there and your bootloader is locked I'm not sure what you can do. I suppose you could try connecting a mouse, but you'd need a split otg cable...

My bootloader isn't locked. Is there any way to access my contacts and other stuff on my phone through my lap top with the phones touch screen not working? My new nexus 4 just arrived and I have to send the broken one back. There's gotta be a way to access/transfer stuff with the screen not working through a computer isn't there?

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If your boot loader is unlocked then I'd do a full system backup of your phone through the command line using ADB, or I'm sure the toolkits such as wugfresh's have the facility to backup if you use those, then you can just restore onto your replacement and it'll be like nothing happened.

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the ADT-bundle buit I'm not sure what to do with it? Do I plug my phone in to my computer then turn it on and go into recovery mode? Also what commands do I uise to pull my contacts and text messages from one person?
Hey I really appreciate you helping me out as best as you can!!! Thank You

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Did you use adb when you unlocked your boot loader? You don't need to be in recovery and i think the commands you need are:
Adb pull data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db

and

Adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/contacts.db

But it just occurred to me that you need USB debugging enabled to use this, do you have it on? If not I think you're screwed... Sorry. But you're welcome for the assistance :)