How to connect the phone to Windows XP (need drivers)

SlickRCBD

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I needed a laptop to use PUTTY on short notice. Unfortunately I haven't needed a laptop since 2011, so all I have are a couple of ancient XP laptops.
One of which I was able to connect my Galaxy S9 and can still connect my S105G to, but the battery is dead.
The other one I got second hand when the owner upgraded about 8-10 years ago and still has a working battery.
However, because Microsoft shut down the driver download service for Windows Update for XP, I can't get the drivers to install.
I've tried searching, but nothing that claims to work on XP actually works for allowing me to connect my Samsung Galaxy S105G to the computer via USB and use it to easily transfer files when there isn't an internet connection.
I wanted to be able to edit a document in an office suite, or put a bunch of values into Notepad (two separate tasks) then use my phone to e-mail it.

Yes, I know, I need to get a new laptop, but this might be a one-off thing and I didn't know I'd need to bring my own laptop, I expected the employer to provide it. I haven't truly needed a laptop since 2011, and note that was when i last needed one, not when I got the laptop. However it can still use PUTTY to SSH with a rollover cable.

So anyways, exactly what files do I need to download to get XP to accept connecting to my phone? I know it's possible because I have another XP computer that can connect, but I can't just image it onto the other laptop. Also I'm concerned about if I ever have to reinstall XP on the other laptop, although I'm going to image it ASAP.

Oh, and I'd ask that anyone checks that the files you find with a simple Google search actually WORK on XP and let you connect a Samsung phone after installing them, as I've found several and none worked.

Last edited:

SlickRCBD

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Create an email to yourself with the attached document in Gmail on the laptop. Then use your phone to open it, edit it and email it...
One, that doesn't answer the question, I'm trying to get the phone to connect so I can access the files like it is a flash drive. I didn't see the need to outline ALL my reasons.

Two, what e-mail clients for XP still work with Gmail? Thunderbird doesn't support the latest oauth2 authentication, nor does Outlook 2003 or Windows Mail.
Also the updates are turned off and this is a fresh install of XP SP2 I then used the SP3 CD image for so even if later versions of Windows mail did support it (which I doubt since Microsoft stopped updating it in 2014) I don't know how to get it.

So back to the original question, how do I connect the phone as a flash drive now that Windows' built in driver download service is gone?
Is there a way to copy the drivers from a working install of XP on the other laptop?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
One, that doesn't answer the question, I'm trying to get the phone to connect so I can access the files like it is a flash drive. I didn't see the need to outline ALL my reasons.

Two, what e-mail clients for XP still work with Gmail? Thunderbird doesn't support the latest oauth2 authentication, nor does Outlook 2003 or Windows Mail.
Also the updates are turned off and this is a fresh install of XP SP2 I then used the SP3 CD image for so even if later versions of Windows mail did support it (which I doubt since Microsoft stopped updating it in 2014) I don't know how to get it.

So back to the original question, how do I connect the phone as a flash drive now that Windows' built in driver download service is gone?
Is there a way to copy the drivers from a working install of XP on the other laptop?
Unfortunately you won't find many people here who still use Windows XP. For example, I quit using XP several years before you quit needing to use a PC. I wouldn't have any idea what works on XP at this time, having been away from it for 16 years.
Did someone say Windows XP ? 🤗

I've still a got a 1998 Dell Inspiron laptop that ran Windows 98 > then Windows 2000
And a 2002 Gateway desktop running Windows XP
Plus a 2006 Gateway M465-E laptop running Windows XP Pro
Plus (2) more custom built desktops running Windows XP Pro (one that orig ran Windows 95)
. . all still working, but I don't think I've turned any of them on since 2015 :unsure:

. . and although I'd be willing to try and help, I probably wouldn't know how.
Of course my wife thinks I'm absolutely nuts... to have kept them. :LOL:

Last edited:

SlickRCBD

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried using different cables? Nine times out of 10 a different cable will "see" the device and work.
Well, then you have the odd case of the cable working for the Windows 10 desktop and a second laptop with a dead battery (if the charge lasts less than 5 minutes, barely enough to boot the computer, I call it dead. Still useful to save your work if the power goes out, but that's about it), but not that particular laptop with the working battery, and yes I tried both ports on it.
Did someone say Windows XP ? 🤗

I've still a got a 1998 Dell Inspiron laptop that ran Windows 98 > then Windows 2000
And a 2002 Gateway desktop running Windows XP
Plus a 2006 Gateway M465-E laptop running Windows XP Pro
Plus (2) more custom built desktops running Windows XP Pro (one that orig ran Windows 95)
. . all still working, but I don't think I've turned any of them on since 2015 :unsure:

. . and although I'd be willing to try and help, I probably wouldn't know how.
Of course my wife thinks I'm absolutely nuts... to have kept them. :LOL:
Well, the XP computer that was set up to use the phone before Microsoft shut down the driver download/update services for XP still works.
The laptop I did a clean install on and never used a Samsung phone on before on the other hand is having issues.
It's a driver problem, it needs whatever drivers Microsoft would have installed when I tried to hook up the phone for the first time.
This is the second time I've had to use this laptop, the other time was last fall. I tried posting on Microsoft's forum hoping there was a repository I could tap into, but didn't get much help. A lot of the issues were explained there, with pictures.

I also tried Samsung's forums, but they removed the thread without giving me useful advice.

Last edited: