LG-made Nexus phone passes through FCC with Snapdragon 800 and 5" screen

darknyght00

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Portable battery packs/chargers are useful, but to use them, you'd have to either leave them plugged in for an extended period of time to charge up your phone or keep your phone plugged in to avoid depleting your battery. Depending on how on-the-go you need to be, leaving it plugged in may be inconvenient or make for a cumbersome, not-so-portable phone. On the other hand, if I buy a 2nd battery, I can go from 10% charge remaining to 100% by simply swapping the battery. And a battery pack is usually a lot bigger and heavier than my spare battery.

Plus, as others have pointed out, if you want to keep your phone for a while, when the battery starts to degrade, you can't replace a non-removable battery (or at least not easily).

Fair enough. However, I maintain that this is not typical of the majority of users and that the swappable battery would be best served as a specialty feature instead of people crying foul every time a handset is released without it. As for keeping phones for extended periods (long enough for the battery to degrade), I think that a hardware refresh every so often is a good thing. I may be a bad example since I'm kinda a gadget addict but new things come out and I want to try them.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Plus, as others have pointed out, if you want to keep your phone for a while, when the battery starts to degrade, you can't replace a non-removable battery (or at least not easily).

But you won't really have to worry about that if you don't keep your phone for more than, say, 4 years.

X-Nemesis

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
For heavy media usage on media hungry smartphones, what's the point when the public is always at threat of gross overage charges from the Carriers? You enable the means to truly use these phones in an AFFORDABLE way and then let's talk about not adding an inexpensive option such as a microsd slot.

Heck, I've gone over my 5GB useage on WIND's crappy aws network in one month just from three apps. Play Music, Youtube and my Podcast app. WIND fortunately just drops your connection to molasses when you go over so you do not get hosed with charges. Other carriers aren't so accommodating, right?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
For heavy media usage on media hungry smartphones, what's the point when the public is always at threat of gross overage charges from the Carriers? You enable the means to truly use these phones in an AFFORDABLE way and then let's talk about not adding an inexpensive option such as a microsd slot.

Heck, I've gone over my 5GB useage on WIND's crappy aws network in one month just from three apps. Play Music, Youtube and my Podcast app. WIND fortunately just drops your connection to molasses when you go over so you do not get hosed with charges. Other carriers aren't so accommodating, right?

Google has expressly stated that they will not put MicroSD cards in their Nexus devices. This is partly to push their cloud services (after all, they most of their revenue comes from services). 32GB, even 16GB should be enough for most. If not, Nexus devices are not for you.

And besides, we already know what US carriers will carry the phone (not sure about other countries), and two of the three offer unlimited, unthrottled data at a fairly low price.

darknyght00

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
And besides, we already know what US carriers will carry the phone (not sure about other countries), and two of the three offer unlimited, unthrottled data at a fairly low price.

Can we say that we KNOW this at this time? I realize that it's likely to become factual in the near future but for now we're still working off an FCC filing that may or may not be the device we think it is and may or may not be revised before being announced (much less released). Strong evidence, to be sure, but I'm clinging desperately to the notion that I'll be able to try a Nexus 5 on Verizon.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Can we say that we KNOW this at this time? I realize that it's likely to become factual in the near future but for now we're still working off an FCC filing that may or may not be the device we think it is and may or may not be revised before being announced (much less released). Strong evidence, to be sure, but I'm clinging desperately to the notion that I'll be able to try a Nexus 5 on Verizon.

There's no way it cannot be the Nexus 5, and there are multiple pieces of evidence that support that: the resemblance to the Google-leaked video with the Nexus 5, the inclusion of Android 4.4, the fish codename that has been found in all other Nexus devices...

There's a possibility that it could be revised before release, but I doubt it, considering it's so close to an expected announcement/release date and that it would have to go through the FCC a second time.

darknyght00

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
There's no way it cannot be the Nexus 5, and there are multiple pieces of evidence that support that: the resemblance to the Google-leaked video with the Nexus 5, the inclusion of Android 4.4, the fish codename that has been found in all other Nexus devices...

There's a possibility that it could be revised before release, but I doubt it, considering it's so close to an expected announcement/release date and that it would have to go through the FCC a second time.

You're right of course but dammit if I don't want you to be wrong.

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough. However, I maintain that this is not typical of the majority of users and that the swappable battery would be best served as a specialty feature instead of people crying foul every time a handset is released without it. As for keeping phones for extended periods (long enough for the battery to degrade), I think that a hardware refresh every so often is a good thing. I may be a bad example since I'm kinda a gadget addict but new things come out and I want to try them.
True, I do not know if that's how other users see things. I personally like to ensure I have an adequate charge on my phone at all times (in case of any unexpected situations) and given how power hungry smartphones (esp. the VZW Galaxy Nexus I have) are, having the option of using a spare battery for those situations when I'm going to be out and about for several hours is important to me. Not a deal breaker, no, but it is a consideration.

Thankfully, it looks like new phones are getting bigger batteries and/or more efficient, so hopefully it'll be less and less of a concern going forward.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Was this filing released by the FCC, or was it leaked in some way? Also are we sure the pictures came with it? Sorry for my ignorance

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I kind of hoping there will be different pricing for any Moto X sold on Google Play. I've always been a bit perplexed by the Nexus 4 subsidized pricing because it strikes me as undercutting Google's partners. It seems like LG G2 and Moto X sales would suffer when there would be a comparable device for hundreds less, especially if they were Gpe sold side by side on Google Play. I think the HTC One and GS4 Gpe were able to be sold on Google Play at such a premium price over the Nexus 4 because they were next generation devices with superior specs, but the rumored Nexus 5 would be the same generation device and the technological divide not so great (if at all). Having said that, I'm hoping any Moto X Gpe is priced far less than what AT&T retails off contract. Without hesitation I'd be willing to pay a premium of $100 more for the Moxo X over a Nexus 5 if the Moto X suited my needs better.

Don't discount the effect of marketing on the masses. Those of us on forums like this are in the minority. Just look at Samsung G4 sales numbers. They make a device for every carrier and get inventory into every store and kiosk. And most people do not care about software updates and bloatware on their phones. I'm just glad Google makes the Nexus line and makes it affordable. I plan on getting a N5 as soon as it's available.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Will the NEXUS 5 come out before next year? I've been sitting on my upgrade since JUNE and really needing to upgrade and get away from this Nexus S 4G lol. I need the Nexus 5.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
EVLeaks just retracted its statements about D820/821......hmmm.

That doesn't surprise me; there was already conflicting information about his statements regarding the D820 model in particular. The documents he referenced to begin with referred to the D802 and D821, but not the D820.

Will the NEXUS 5 come out before next year? I've been sitting on my upgrade since JUNE and really needing to upgrade and get away from this Nexus S 4G lol. I need the Nexus 5.

I would certainly expect it to based on Google's past timeline, the FCC filing, KitKat announcement, etc. Only time will tell, of course, but I'll say this much: I'm keeping some cash around in the bank specifically for it this fall.

Polish Prince

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Ditto - Except I've been sitting on mine since April :-(

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure that somewhere out there are some Canadians (who only get upgrades every three years) saying the same thing about their Nexus One.

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds good but I am little glad it doesn't sound so good that it will make me want to ditch by S4 GPE. I had a Nexus 4 I would have waited for this but I was just not getting reception on T-Mobile with the N4.

Having T-Mobile is the reason why you were unable to get reception with your N4. I tried giving them a chance but my signal was horrible too. Not to mention their customer service AND tech service were horrible and incompetent enough that they couldn't even port my phone number over from Verizon. Nonetheless, it depends on where you live that will give you shotty reception. Don't get me wrong, they do have good plans but, I loved Verizon but too expensive for me, TMO wasn't what I expected (actually, it was what I expected, that's why I left), and AT&T has been awesome so far. Again, it also depends on where you live or where you work often that will give you horrible service.
Anyway, back to the subj, I can't wait for these Nexus 5 rumors to unfold and come to light very soon. I think it might be a great product overall!

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non