Nexus 5 only a mid grade phone?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that every phone on the market right now is mid range phone. And every phone that will be released in the next 10 years will be a mid range phone. Until phones come out with built in lasers and sandwich makers, they will be mid range. So yes, the Nexus 5 is a mid range phone.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
In the eyes of those claiming that the Nexus 5 is a mid range phone, there are only the following categories that would elevate the Nexus 5. And I'll debunk these points. (In my opinion of what those people are thinking):

- glass or metal back instead of plastic. This is purely subjective as all plastic is not equal and quality plastic has advantages like durability, especially compared compared to glass.

- price is low. This is as stated before because Google is subsidizing the cost. The Nexus 5 is really like at least a $550 device in terms of what it represents.

- only 4.95 inch screen. Only people making this claim are Note owners. They think bigger is better. I agree but only to a point. I think the sweet spot in size is between 4.5 to 5 inches.

- small 2300 battery. Well this one is true to a point. But you have to realize the phone is not as big as the G2 and since Google is subsidizing the cost they needed to cut costs somewhere. Also it is an upgrade to the Nexus 4. Don't forget that with the Snapdragon 800 it will go a long way.

- no SD slot. This isn't about being mid grade. This is a Google decision that has merit from a technical and usability standpoint. I'm not going to get into it here. Look it up.

- 32GB storage. This is an upgrade from the Nexus 4. Sure there are devices with 64GB but you can't say 32GB makes for a mid tier device as 32GB is not piddly. This could be again partly to help Google with the price subsidy. 32GB is enough for a lot of top end device shoppers.

- no removable battery. This allows the phone to be more solid, won't explode into parts when dropped, and can be slimmer in design. Lots of high end phones don't have removable batteries.

- RAM is only 2GB. Well as discussed before only the Note 3 has more (3GB ). And that does not make the Note 3 the only top end device.

- not available on Verizon. Well this is a battle of titans Google and Verizon. In the end Verizon is the one that will loose this battle. They are going to loose customers, and eventually when VoLTE comes out they won't be able to play these immature games.

- not 64 bit. If you hear this from your friends, then you need some new friends.

.... Well that is it. I can't think if anything else that could elevate the Nexus 5.

Conclusion: The Nexus 5 is indisputably a top end device. Not thee only one, but among the best choices (Note 3, GS4, G2, One, One Max, 5s... etc)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

The Nexus 5 is not going to make Verizon change any of its policies. For people who NEED Verizon (and there are a LOT of places where Verizon has the BEST or ONLY coverage) you really have very little choice other than paying the Verizon premium. I happen to live in a town like that and I'm lucky I have a grandfathered plan that is affordable and I don't have to live with substandard service. For those of you who can use one of the MVNOs with a Nexus 5 - congratulations on saving money. I don't see anything happening any time soon that will force anyone (ATT or otherwise) to upgrade their coverage to come close to Verizon - there is just not enough demand to expect to see any changes in the coverage map any time soon (if ever).

galfert

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is not going to make Verizon change any of its policies. For people who NEED Verizon (and there are a LOT of places where Verizon has the BEST or ONLY coverage) you really have very little choice other than paying the Verizon premium. I happen to live in a town like that and I'm lucky I have a grandfathered plan that is affordable and I don't have to live with substandard service. For those of you who can use one of the MVNOs with a Nexus 5 - congratulations on saving money. I don't see anything happening any time soon that will force anyone (ATT or otherwise) to upgrade their coverage to come close to Verizon - there is just not enough demand to expect to see any changes in the coverage map any time soon (if ever).

I never said that the Nexus 5 would cause Verizon to change any of its policies. I said that Verizon current stance on tight phone certification and phone installed software control or whatever they want to control on devices was going to eventually be a loosing battle for Verizon when VoLTE comes out because then people will for the first time ever be able to bring unlocked phones to Verizon. So in the short term all they are doing is upsetting a very small amount of enthusiasts which they will figure affects their bottom line insignificantly if they leave. So Verizon is just going to put up a fight till VoLTE takes their control away. So it is VoLTE that will change their policy (per FCC mandate) not the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely getting an n5 but I do wish it had a better camera. That's my only gripe about it. But we will have to wait and see. I'd like more megapixels but the larger lens may produce pics that are just as good as 13mp cameras.

Posted via Android Central App