Android Police thinks today is the day. 11 AM press release, possibly on Play before that

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
He musta' hit the EDIT button, because the title now, isn't the original title I replied to.

I am the OP of the tread.... Its the original title....

But yes, the article does say 11 am with a possible Play store appearance prior to the press release. So basically, AP says camp at google play pressing F5 repeatedly starting now.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I am the OP of the tread.... Its the original title....

But yes, the article does say 11 am with a possible Play store appearance prior to the press release. So basically, AP says camp at google play pressing F5 repeatedly starting now.

Well then, to answer the other guy, I either clicked the wrong link, or don't read whatever that dude posts.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Here's the funny thing about that story linked...

I'm hearing the embargo is officially lifting at 11am Pacific, but the announcement and possible Play Store availability could come earlier

If all details about a product are under embargo until 11am PT, it can't be made available earlier without violating that embargo.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

If all details about a product are under embargo until 11am PT, it can't be made available earlier without violating that embargo.

That's not entirely true. Google doesn't have an embargo on itself....they're allowed to announce it. But ppl like The Verge who likely got some rights to talk about the phone can't release any info and/or reviews or videos they may have taken until they lift the embargo.

DCad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

Truthfully, it would make some sense to soft release it ahead of lifting the "embargo." That way, the Play Store wouldn't experience as big a surge as they would if it hits all blogs, sites, etc. simultaneously.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Truthfully, it would make some sense to soft release it ahead of lifting the "embargo." That way, the Play Store wouldn't experience as big a surge as they would if it hits all blogs, sites, etc. simultaneously.

People are hitting F5 anyway right now. Once it hits, twitter and these tech blogs will sound the alarm and all hell breaks loose.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I am debating whether or not it is worth to upgrade from an HTC One rooted, running 4.3 GPE rom. What big benefit will the Nexus give me? There will be an .sdk for kit kat probably at launch, so the xda guys will have a 4.4 Rom in no time! Plus with this phone, at least I know I have no bugs, and great battery life! It's still very tempting, because the HTC one will sell for roughly $350, which means it wouldn't cost much, if anything to trade up... damnit

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's not entirely true. Google doesn't have an embargo on itself....they're allowed to announce it. But ppl like The Verge who likely got some rights to talk about the phone can't release any info and/or reviews or videos they may have taken until they lift the embargo.

An embargo tells employees or news sites when they can talk about it. Google can release it whenever they want.

dazr87

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
i know it's a little bit off topic but... Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that a select few people on the imore forums seem to bully when someone says something that contradicts what they think? It's bizarre. I've never had anyone speak rudely or horrible to me here, any of the mobile nations forums or anywhere else for that matter, except at imore forums... I think I may stay away from there from now on lol.

On a lighter note... I'm really hoping we get some awesome news tonight/today!!! excited! :D

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
An embargo tells employees or news sites when they can talk about it. Google can release it whenever they want.

And it would be entirely counter-productive for Google to maintain rather than lift the embargo on information after making the device available for sale - it's not like Google's going to say "come buy our secret Nexus 5 box, give us an unconfirmed amount of money, and we'll send you what you can expect to be a phone with some specs and features - but we won't tell you yet till we lift our embargo later!"

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
i know it's a little bit off topic but... Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that a select few people on the imore forums seem to bully when someone says something that contradicts what they think? It's bizarre. I've never had anyone speak rudely or horrible to me here, any of the mobile nations forums or anywhere else for that matter, except at imore forums... I think I may stay away from there from now on lol.

On a lighter note... I'm really hoping we get some awesome news tonight/today!!! excited! :D

Can't say I've ever been there. But fans are usually pretty rabid no matter which side they're on. :D

footysr

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I've never had anyone speak rudely or horrible to me here, any of the mobile nations forums or anywhere else for that matter, except at imore forums... I think I may stay away from there from now on lol.

You don't know what you're talking about noob! Plenty of rude people on this forum! Go stand in a corner! ;)

dazr87

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
You don't know what you're talking about noob! Plenty of rude people on this forum! Go stand in a corner! ;)

for sure :p lol

yeah I know there's people like that all over forums, but nothing to the extent ive endured the past 2 days. however, i stood my ground. =D

PS... HURRY UP NEXUS 5 & KitKat!!! IM HUUUNGRY!!!