The Verge Preview Hands On

lucas.scott

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Im also with the majority. I watched that video earlier today and was actually shocked that someone from The Verge would make such comments. I have always been a fan of their reviews - maybe they were rushed for time, but this wasnt a solid effort on their part.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Anandtech or Toms hardware smokes the Verge or any tech blog out there.

Don't forget Android Central! :)

Let's face it. If you love Android, you're probably going to buy the Nexus 5. If you're undecided, you're going to be reading multiple articles and watching every YouTube video review you can get your hands on. For example, Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) has high-quality reviews on his YouTube channel. I would recommend him if you want a good video review.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm a fan of The Verge and contrary to what many think most reviewers, reporters and staff are pretty much fans of all platforms. I tend to think they are mostly Android fans beginning with Joshua Topolsky who currently has a Moto X as daily driver and Nilay Patel who has an HTC One GPE and iPhone 5S.

Getting back to Deiter Bohn yes he's guilty of making generalizations as far as lag on all android devices. Also pretty much saying all Android camera suck. That video should have been just an introductory video and he should have held off any judgement and opinions after a few days of putting the Nexus 5 to the test. The funny thing is that Dieter is an WebOS fanboy and used to head Treo Central back in the days.

Here's what a first hands on video should look like and Dieter Bohn should learn from Lyn Laa.....what a toolbag.
Google Nexus 5 souped up with Android KitKat, LTE, and low price. - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I hadn't seen a lick of lag at all on either of those videos. Oh I'm so glad I bought this. 4.4 looks quite a bit different and very nice.

Posted via Android Central App

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I also didn't like the video. You can tell a lot of people didn't like it judging by the over double negative thumbs vs. positive. I like some of the Verge's videos but I don't think they're one of the best tech sites IMO. Their production and videos are nice but sometime you can tell some of the reviewers are biased.

Watching the video I can tell the phone is running real nice, even when he says it lags. He's well spoken but the short review is not good IMO.

He didn't say it lags, he said there were scrolling issues. Its a known issue in ALL android devices, most especially ones that are stock. (OEMs like samsung will try and fix it with their skins)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? He took the time to bash android cameras and brush them all to the side.

"android cameras usually aren't that impressive"

That's where he lost me.
What he meant (which the accompanying hands-on makes clear) is that NEXUS cameras have been inferior.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
And a horrible retort by you. Anandtech or Toms hardware smokes the Verge or any tech blog out there. The Verge is garbage imo when it comes to reviews. Very little hard fact and more opinion/feeling/conjecture with constant iPhone/Pad comparisons.

What does the Nexus compete with? The iPhone.
What does the Nexus 7 compete with? The iPad.
What does the Galaxy S4 compete with? The iPhone.

It would be worse if they didn't mention the competition at all. Reviews aren't meant to be fluffy marketing pieces, they are meant to review the phone and help buyers make an informed choice. Including what the reviewed device competes against.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Im also with the majority. I watched that video earlier today and was actually shocked that someone from The Verge would make such comments. I have always been a fan of their reviews - maybe they were rushed for time, but this wasnt a solid effort on their part.

This wasn't a review. It was a preview and a hands-on. It looked rushed because they were probably on Google's campus and had very limited time with the device.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
He didn't say it lags, he said there were scrolling issues. Its a known issue in ALL android devices, most especially ones that are stock. (OEMs like samsung will try and fix it with their skins)

I still don't agree and didn't see any scrolling issues on the video the way he demonstrated it. In my experience the skins make it worse, especially on the Galaxy S4 that's running Touchwiz.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I still don't agree and didn't see any scrolling issues on the video the way he demonstrated it. In my experience the skins make it worse, especially on the Galaxy S4 that's running Touchwiz.
It's not something you can see on video. It's something you can definitely see in person. Put a nexus 4 and iPhone next to each other, and it's clear as day. (I've done it. The nexus is better than past versions, but still stuttery compared to the iPhone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It's not something you can see on video. It's something you can definitely see in person. Put a nexus 4 and iPhone next to each other, and it's clear as day. (I've done it. The nexus is better than past versions, but still stuttery compared to the iPhone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iphones are smoother no doubt, I've had a lot of Android phones as well as a few Iphones & Ipads. I can tell when a phone stutters on a video, it's not that hard to tell, at least for me. It still wasn't a good first look IMO. The CNET one was much better.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Iphones are smoother no doubt, I've had a lot of Android phones as well as a few Iphones & Ipads. I can tell when a phone stutters on a video, it's not that hard to tell, at least for me. It still wasn't a good first look IMO. The CNET one was much better.

I don't understand why android users can't wrap their heads around this . This is 100% true. But with the introduction of project butter -- I couldn't care. its good enough. Love me some android.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why android users can't wrap their heads around this . This is 100% true. But with the introduction of project butter -- I couldn't care. its good enough. Love me some android.

Yeah, project butter made it a lot better and I like it enough. The Nexus five looks like it runs just as good as the Moto X, which is a good thing. Some people are extremely picky, especially if they've just used IOS devices. Overall I still like Android a little better but, I like Apple devices also. I just bought a new Ipad Air this morning.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Go to :26 in the video. He says "although scrolling performance is still a little bit laggy like it tends to be on all Android devices". So yes, he does indeed say it lags. I've also done the side-by-sides, and Android does stutter more until the page is loaded completely then it's absolutely better than on iOS. At least that's what I found to be the case.

What he meant (which the accompanying hands-on makes clear) is that NEXUS cameras have been inferior.

Then he should have SAID that, and if he doesn't understand the difference someone else should have done the video.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What does the Nexus compete with? The iPhone.
What does the Nexus 7 compete with? The iPad.
What does the Galaxy S4 compete with? The iPhone.

It would be worse if they didn't mention the competition at all. Reviews aren't meant to be fluffy marketing pieces, they are meant to review the phone and help buyers make an informed choice. Including what the reviewed device competes against.

I agree to a point. You can compare to the competition, but is it really necessary to do it throughout the entire review, or to throw in there things like "but not as good as iPhone" during a video? That's unnecessary and overkill. Review the product as it stands on it's own merit, then have a section for competition. Then, if it's not as good as the competition, feel free to blast away in that section. No site is perfect, but there are some that are far worse than others.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I had to edit a couple of posts in this thread. Dieter may or may not deserve the hate he's getting (not for me to decide), but let's not go too far with the insults. We're better than that :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 (2014) using AC Forums mobile app