Wifi calling/texting?

trek5000

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone confirm whether the Nexus 5 will have wifi calling/texting? I haven't read any solid evidence either way. By the way, I plan on using on Tmobile and buy through google play if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone confirm whether the Nexus 5 will have wifi calling/texting? I haven't read any solid evidence either way. By the way, I plan on using on Tmobile and buy through google play if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

If you mean T-Mo WiFi calling then no it will not have it. You could use Google voice and a 3rd party app like talkatone to make calls. But there isn't a way to get the integrated WiFi calling, unless xda somehow figures a way but idt they were able to with the N4 so it's unlikely on the N5 also.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
There's also no such thing as "Wi-Fi texting" unless you use a third party app that forwards your messages through their servers over your data connection.

Put your phone in Airplane Mode, activate only Wi-Fi, attempt to sent an SMS or MMS with Stock Messaging app

ANewPlay256

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
There's also no such thing as "Wi-Fi texting" unless you use a third party app that forwards your messages through their servers over your data connection.

Put your phone in Airplane Mode, activate only Wi-Fi, attempt to sent an SMS or MMS with Stock Messaging app

T-Mobile's wifi calling feature actually supports texting over wifi as well (or at least it has for every phone that I've used it with). I do not believe that it will be available on the N5, though I don't know that for sure.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Nope, there's no such thing as SMS over Wi-Fi. Go ahead and put your phone into Airplane mode then *only* activate Wi-Fi. You won't be able to send a single text or MMS with the Stock messaging app.

AaronM1

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
In the UK, o2 offers a service called o2 Tu Go which allows you to do this; however it's a very expensive add-on to o2's already overpriced monthly contracts.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Nope, there's no such thing as SMS over Wi-Fi. Go ahead and put your phone into Airplane mode then *only* activate Wi-Fi. You won't be able to send a single text or MMS with the Stock messaging app.
There is, actually. From the T-Mobile website:
Sometimes phone signals don’t reach where you need them, like in your basement. But with Wi-Fi Calling, you can always make calls or send text messages by using your Wi-Fi connection, or by connecting anywhere with Wi-Fi access. T-Mobile is the only national carrier that has it at no additional charge, and it’s easy to set up.
This is why it would be awesome to have Wi-Fi Calling on the Nexus 5.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

There's a proprietary T-Mobile app that let's you text via Wi-Fi.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Go ahead and put your phone into Airplane mode then *only* activate Wi-Fi. You won't be able to send a single text or MMS with the Stock messaging app. SMS doesn't utilize mobile data so simply turning off mobile data won't give you the definitive answer.

Put your phone into Airplane mode then *only* activate Wi-Fi. You won't be able to send a single text or MMS with the Stock messaging app.

trek5000

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Here's my experience with Galaxy S4 on Tmobile. If I put it in airplane mode and enable wifi calling it won't do either as the airplane mode disables both despite having wifi calling enabled. However, if I go into wifi calling options and select wifi calling only ("never use cellular network") both wifi calling and texting work. Therefore, I respectfully do not think you're correct andr0idralphie. So it sounds like it's safe to say that the Nexus 5 will not have wifi calling capability (using tmobile stock apps). Anyone want to buy my 2 pending black 32gb's from google play? :)

Go ahead and put your phone into Airplane mode then *only* activate Wi-Fi. You won't be able to send a single text or MMS with the Stock messaging app. SMS doesn't utilize mobile data so simply turning off mobile data won't give you the definitive answer.

Put your phone into Airplane mode then *only* activate Wi-Fi. You won't be able to send a single text or MMS with the Stock messaging app.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
So, with Wi-Fi only enabled, no mobile, no mobile data, both completely disabled, you're able to send text messages with the Stock messaging app?

I find it hard to believe because it was an AC writer who walked me through this test when I had a Sensation 4G, which supports Wi-Fi calling on T-Mobile, and I consistently failed when trying to text with the stock Messaging app.

trek5000

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

So, with Wi-Fi only enabled, no mobile, no mobile data, both completely disabled, you're able to send text messages with the Stock messaging app?

I find it hard to believe because it was an AC writer who walked me through this test when I had a Sensation 4G, which supports Wi-Fi calling on T-Mobile, and I consistently failed when trying to text with the stock Messaging app.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
WiFi texting does work for me. We had a service disruption (tower down I believe) a few months ago and there was zero cell reception in the neighbor for half a day. But calls and texts (WiFi calling) worked fine for me, my family, and my neighbors who uses T-Mobile. I think airplane mode probably disables something that won't allow the Wi-Fi calling features to work.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
After reading this post by Android Central writer Andrew Martonik last year I ran some tests on my Sensation 4G and came to the conclusion that I could not send SMS/MMS messages over Wi-Fi/UMA only, just as he explained, it required a mobile network.

If you can, that's great, maybe T-Mobile have enabled it somehow in later smartphone firmwares.

Alex Zapata

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if the new IMS version will work in a WiFi only situation. I know Movial and TMO posted the source code, but no one has been able to do much with it. It seems to work well on WP8, but MMS isn't supported on that platform. I'll have to test it out at work.