Nexus 5 bumper case problem

chad rodgers

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Around the outer lip of my case (which I love by the way) the rubber coating appears to be peeling off. At first I thought it was just lint from my picket, but now I'm sure its peeling away. I will try to get pics, but hard to see on camera. Is anyone else having this problem and do you think Google would send me another. For 40 bucks, I would think that shouldn't happen. Oh, its the black one.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Hansen

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: nexus 5 bumper case problem

I am having the same problem. I also have the black official case. I've only had it for 3 days now. I agree, for $40 I would expect better quality control.

tlan

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I bought the gray bumper case from Google and got it yesterday. It did to start to peel a thin plastic layer very easily. I called Google and asked if this was normal and they said no and gave me a full refund and told me to order another case and I did.

arquimedesnew

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

I bought the gray bumper case from Google and got it yesterday. It did to start to peel a thin plastic layer very easily. I called Google and asked if this was normal and they said no and gave me a full refund and told me to order another case and I did.

I have the same problem but they asked me to return the case first but I don't want to leave my phone unprotected.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem but they asked me to return the case first but I don't want to leave my phone unprotected.

I haven't seen peeling on the case but my gray case has seen major discoloration. The case looks 3 years old after a month and the phone just goes into my pocket. Google offered to replace it and I asked for the black one. Now hearing about the peeling issue, I probably should have looked for another case.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

Anybody else having this problem? What other impressions (good or bad) do you guys have? Overall, is it worth the $35 price tag?

SKI_K2

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I've had no issues with my bumper so far. I've got the yellow/green color and have seen no signs of wear/peeling and really no visible dirt either. This is by far the most slim-fitting, sleek case I've found out there and I think it's worth every dime. Sure I'd like it to be cheaper, but if you really want a case that fits like a glove and doesn't add any unnecessary bulk to the N5 this is your best option. I also love the bright neon color and get a lot of compliments/inquiries about it.

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site

I've had no issues with my bumper so far. I've got the yellow/green color and have seen no signs of wear/peeling and really no visible dirt either. This is by far the most slim-fitting, sleek case I've found out there and I think it's worth every dime. Sure I'd like it to be cheaper, but if you really want a case that fits like a glove and doesn't add any unnecessary bulk to the N5 this is your best option. I also love the bright neon color and get a lot of compliments/inquiries about it.

I own the bumper case, Tetded leather, Rinke Slim, and Spigen Neo Hybrid (yeah, I'm a bit OCD). My favorite daily case is the Rinke Slim. It is minimalistic (so slim it's like it's not there) and has a nice grippy texture. The Tetded leather is exceptional with a magnetic cover, but I don't use it unless I'm going out on the town ;)

For me, the bumper case was overpriced for what it is (really worth about $5), looks a bit on the cheap side, and there's better alternatives out there.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

I own the bumper case, Tetded leather, Rinke Slim, and Spigen Neo Hybrid (yeah, I'm a bit OCD). My favorite daily case is the Rinke Slim. It is minimalistic (so slim it's like it's not there) and has a nice grippy texture. The Tetded leather is exceptional with a magnetic cover, but I don't use it unless I'm going out on the town ;)

For me, the bumper case was overpriced for what it is (really worth about $5), looks a bit on the cheap side, and there's better alternatives out there.

How would you compare the Nexus bumper to the Spigen Neo Hybrid (in terms of bulk, feel, protection)? I have that Spigen right now, but I'm not really loving it. It's fairly bulky, it's nearly impossible to take the phone out of the case, and my headphone jack has a right-angle at the plug-in, so it doesn't fit.

El Valluco

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Yep, I'm getting the same bumper "dandruff" on mine. Want to make more? Just rub your fingernail across it. Kinda sux cus I really like the case, otherwise...

jcwalter88

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

I haven't seen peeling on the case but my gray case has seen major discoloration. The case looks 3 years old after a month and the phone just goes into my pocket. Google offered to replace it and I asked for the black one. Now hearing about the peeling issue, I probably should have looked for another case.

I bought a gray case as well and have the same issue. Have areas that have already started to stain from hand oils and a corner is turning blue from a jean pocket. Also having the peeling issue around the buttons. I think I will be returning to Google for a black case, I think these issues will be much less noticeable.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I bought a gray case as well and have the same issue. Have areas that have already started to stain from hand oils and a corner is turning blue from a jean pocket. Also having the peeling issue around the buttons. I think I will be returning to Google for a black case, I think these issues will be much less noticeable.

Just got the replacement black bumper, it looks great (but so did the gray bumper when it was new). The black should avoid the discoloration but it negates having a white nexus. At least if i ever go naked, ill have the white exterior. I hope I don't see a peeling issue as others have seen.

Overall, I really like these cases. I prefer OEM cases that are guaranteed to fit and most likely will not damage the phone. I think its worth the extra money. Plus I like the Nexus on the back.

El Valluco

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

..but it negates having a white nexus.

..not quite. I ended up putting my black N5 in a case but I now wish I had gotten the white version because of the white ear speaker. That makes for a great but subtle visual cue for the proper orientation of the phone when you go and pick it up or pull it out of your pocket.

The black N5 has no visual cues that are quite as obvious to indicate orientation. Yes, there is the camera and speaker hole up top but they're no where near as obvious or quick to register as the nice white speaker.

jcwalter88

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

Called Google. Apparently since it is beyond the 15 day grace period I can only exchange for the same color under the warranty. I explained to the CSR that this would likely result in future replacements as the gray case picks up dirt and oil and blue jean dye rapidly. Didn't seem to matter. Just complete garbage that they charge 5x what other brands due for this case and it didn't make it a month in normal daily use.

jcwalter88

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

Apparently my negative comments left in the survey swayed someone's mind and they are now giving me a refund and not making me send the case back. So now I can look at alternatives or get the black case. I will definitely do more research this time...

Justin DeTolla

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

As it seems so many people on this thread already have the case, has anyone noticed that it fits loosely along the bottom edge of the screen?

I received mine yesterday, and was disappointed with this issue. I'm returning it, but am wondering if my problem was an isolated one, and I should re-order.

Thanks!

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

which Tetded case do you own? they look really nice, I'm thinking of buying the one like the LG quickcover case but the one with clasp on it so the flap will stay closed.

TETDED Premium Leather Case for Google Nexus 5 LTE /LG Nexus 5 D820 D821 -- Dijon III (LC: Black) - TETDED LIMITED

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

As it seems so many people on this thread already have the case, has anyone noticed that it fits loosely along the bottom edge of the screen?

I received mine yesterday, and was disappointed with this issue. I'm returning it, but am wondering if my problem was an isolated one, and I should re-order.

Thanks!

It is a little flimsier along the bottom edge, but that's due to the cutout for the USB port. Most all cases I've owned that are made of a softer material will suffer from this. There's just less rigidity in the areas where openings are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

I got the black bumper case and two of the corners have already started peeling off. UGHHHHHH I have only had the case for less than a week.