Battery issue

tweakage

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Here's an update after wiping and installing the Google 4.4 factory image, followed by restoring all apps, then the 4.4.2 OTA.

If you'll notice what I was referring to initially, "Android OS" consumes very little battery and screen is virtually always the biggest power drain.

There are still several tweaks I have yet to implement but I'm very happy so far with this. I'll add more to this when I'm able to improve on it. Thanks to all who responded so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386901003097.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386901003097.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386901020950.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386901020950.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 28

kcz7

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else, but the 4.4.2 update for my Nexus 5 has destroyed my battery. With the Qualcomm battery guru app, I was getting anywhere from 1.5 - 2 days worth of battery life. After this update my battery has been killed with no remorse. I'm not sure what all has changed, but it is not a merry welcome. I had to charge my phone twice yesterday within a 10hr span. I got a Nexus to stay up to date, but holy shizz man(!) this is frick'n nuts.

1st pic is 4.4 w/ART & the battery guru app. 2nd pic is after 4.4.2 update; still using ART/battery guru.
hava9yma.jpg
asavasuq.jpg

rieuk

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I got the update yesterday and my battery has improved as well. The OS doesn't seem to be consuming as much power. At least in the last 10 hours.

To the guy who used to get 1.5-2 hours ... How much screen on time were you getting?

Posted via Android Central App

kcz7

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Before the update, my screen time was around 4h 30m +/-. I'm going to reset the Battery Guru this weekend and let it recalculate for 72hrs. Hopefully results will follow.

3udasupu.jpg

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you feel battery is worse with 4.4.2 you may need to Factory Reset then give it a few days to really see what battery consumption is like. It's not unusual to see poor battery life immediately after an update. Give the device a few days if you just updated to 4.4.2 then compare battery life with what you are currently getting.

kcz7

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
A tad update: I let it completely die yesterday and recharge last night. I turned it on as I came into work and I'm having much better activity. It seems to be "back to normal" atm. Guess I just needed to reboot my phone. Yup.... feeling like'a noob haha xD. Battery Guru is estimating around 51 more hours. SS below.
upybe4aq.jpg

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for that Nick. I'm loving this phone. So much nicer than Nexus 4 and I loved the 4. The screen and LTE made this a no brainer in my case and I swore up and down that I wasn't gonna get this phone. :)

I did the same thing. Told myself I would keep the white nexus 4 since I bought it 5 months ago. That didn't last too long. I bought it 10 min after the N5 was released.

mjburt

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Since the 4.4.2 update I feel like my battery is better as well. Spent a while playing games on my phone and doing some other intense processes too.

3 hours screen time/50%

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386995571556.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386995571556.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 20

mjburt

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Since the 4.4.2 update I feel like my battery is better as well. Spent a while playing games on my phone and doing some other intense processes too.

3 hours screen time/50%

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386995694316.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386995694316.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 20

tweakage

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Update from yesterday and now I'm getting what I'd consider surprisingly good results from the battery now.

I was on LTE with varying signal from 7:15am to 5:30pm and on WIFI from 5:30pm to 9:09pm.

Most of my use was checking email, sent probably 100 text / Viber messages at least, reading some PDF files, using DropBox to pull down a few files. I read Google News Stand a lot and jumped around on some forums using Tapatalk.

In also using Lux for auto brightness which I bet makes a big difference.

I'm going to post more results soon on days where I stream more and play some games and video.

I've been using Battery Doctor app and seems pretty solid so far, has some useful options that are likely helping. Are there other battery saver apps that may be better than Battery Doctor?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387040774322.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387040774322.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 22
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387040796916.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387040796916.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 23

rieuk

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Update from yesterday and now I'm getting what I'd consider surprisingly good results from the battery now.

I was on LTE with varying signal from 7:15am to 5:30pm and on WIFI from 5:30pm to 9:09pm.

Most of my use was checking email, sent probably 100 text / Viber messages at least, reading some PDF files, using DropBox to pull down a few files. I read Google News Stand a lot and jumped around on some forums using Tapatalk.

In also using Lux for auto brightness which I bet makes a big difference.

I'm going to post more results soon on days where I stream more and play some games and video.

I've been using Battery Doctor app and seems pretty solid so far, has some useful options that are likely helping. Are there other battery saver apps that may be better than Battery Doctor?

Can you give a summary of what you've got disabled/enabled?

tweakage

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Mobile Data ON (LTE)
WIFI Off (during hours mentioned above)
Auto Sync off
Bluetooth off
GPS off
Location Services ON (Power Saving Mode)
Google Now ON
Using Dalvik (Haven't tried ART yet)
Boot loader unlocked
UN-Rooted (won't last long)
Stock 4.4.2.

rieuk

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! Why did you turn autosync off? Don't you rely on push email and getting IMs from whatsapp, facebook etc?

Also what benefit did you get from unlocking the boot loader?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm really curious to hear your update on that. I had a record day today with the N5 and will post some great screen shots soon.

I had a record day also with 4.4.2 that was 42 hours uptime on one charge with 30% of the N5's battery left. However I only used it for three voice calls, texting, email, streaming music to my new LG Tone+ bluetooth headset and limited internet screen time. Note as soon as I got 4.4.2 I flipped it to the ART run time.

tweakage

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Why did you turn autosync off? Don't you rely on push email and getting IMs from whatsapp, facebook etc?

Also what benefit did you get from unlocking the boot loader?

Turned off Auto sync to see if I could save battery. I use Viber and Hangouts and still get all messages.

I check email several times per day so it's not an issue really.

The unlocked boot loader has no benefit on its own but allows rooting and all mods can be done after that.

I unlocked and rooted the phone as soon as I got it but after the battery issue I had to wipe and install factory image and that made a huge difference if you compare my last screen shots to the ones in the first post of this thread.

I plan to re-root again for a couple reasons so I'm leaving the boot loader unlocked.

tweakage

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious tweakage, have you always had scanning always available unchecked?

Posted via Nexus 5

I've always had "scanning always available" unchecked, "WIFI Optimization" enabled and "Network notification" disabled

jamie

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
When I first got my phone this was on by default. Android OS was using most of the battery. I hope you can get your problem figured out. I get all day use with plenty of battery left every day.

Go Hokies!

rieuk

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I unlocked and rooted the phone as soon as I got it but after the battery issue I had to wipe and install factory image and that made a huge difference if you compare my last screen shots to the ones in the first post of this thread.

What do you think caused the battery issue? I'm assuming you didn't have the phone for too long before you reset to factory condition. What did you do differently this time around to get much better battery performance? Also, do you have location reporting and location history on (for google account settings)?

Last edited: