Wireless Charging

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
False for the most part. The #1 killer of a battery is heat and general discussion was that Qi Chargers create more heat. From my testing with a Tylt Vu Qi Charger the temperature were about the same. There shouldn't be any difference in terms of the batteries life cycle.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It is all just rumors to this point with little or no proof. There are lots of reports about the phone gets warmer when charging wireless than connected by the usb port but it isn't a big differences in extra heat on most reports. Some more heat should be expected since a coil inside the phone changes magnetic energy into electric power to charge the battery. This is a good article but doesn't address your point.

Disadvantages of Current Wireless Charging Technology

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I feel like if a manufacturer releases a device listing "Wireless Charging" as a base feature and then they release their own official wireless charger, if a problem did arise they'd probably stand behind it. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but if it was proven to be the cause of a big, widespread issue, I imagine Google would make good on it. I use the Nexus Wireless Charger and love it. I hope it isn't causing issues but I guess we'll see.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I feel like if a manufacturer releases a device listing "Wireless Charging" as a base feature and then they release their own official wireless charger, if a problem did arise they'd probably stand behind it. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but if it was proven to be the cause of a big, widespread issue, I imagine Google would make good on it. I use the Nexus Wireless Charger and love it. I hope it isn't causing issues but I guess we'll see.

There are official standards Wireless Power Consortium. The USA is way behind since it is hard to find any electronic devices in Japan that doesn't have Qi wirelessly charging;

The Qi logo is a trademark of the Wireless Power Consortium. Compatible wireless chargers, compatible mobile phones, and other compatible mobile devices may license the Qi logo.

Qi is fully compatible, meaning that that any phone or other device carrying the Qi logo will work with any charging surface that carries the Qi logo, regardless of manufacturer or brand.

Only products that were tested by an independent test lab may carry the logo. The Wireless Power Consortium has authorized test labs in many countries to verify compatibility with the Qi specification.

Established in December 2008, the Wireless Power Consortium’s mission is to establish Qi as the global standard for wirelessly charging electronic products. The more than 180 members of WPC include industry leaders in mobile phones, consumer electronics, batteries, semiconductors, components, wireless power technology and infrastructure such as wireless operators, furniture and automotive parts companies. Qi products are available in the United States, Asia Pacific, and Europe.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
False for the most part. The #1 killer of a battery is heat and general discussion was that Qi Chargers create more heat. From my testing with a Tylt Vu Qi Charger the temperature were about the same. There shouldn't be any difference in terms of the batteries life cycle.

I love the VU charger.. I bought one for my desk at work and enjoyed enough that I got a second one for the home... It doesn't seem to overheat or cause my N5 or N7 to overheat or get even remotely warm at all.... I have read a few reviews that said the charger gets warm or hot....... Why I figured I'd rather just fork out the extra cash and get what seemed like a more higher end charger.... I have not plugged either my N5 or N7 into a USB port for charging in weeks now...

Read on this forum that wireless chargers can compromise battery's life.
Is it true?

I also make sure that my battery is dead or near dead before I just plop it down on the charger.... It is possible setting it on the wireless charging pad and picking it up all day long letting it just slightly discharge and then slightly charge up again COULD wear the battery out quicker.... So I take mine off the charger in the morning at home and if it's a heavy use day I'll make sure to throw it on the charger at work 2 - 3 hours before I leave so it has a full charge... outside of that I try and leave it off the charger unless it actually needs it.... some times at night it has plenty enough battery that I don't charge it at night and then set it down at work (Since I know I am glued to this desk 8+ hours every day Monday - Friday) I don't like to just top charge unless I know I am going to do something.. I like to run my battery down to 20% or lower before I charge it up (If possible)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I love the VU charger.. I bought one for my desk at work and enjoyed enough that I got a second one for the home... It doesn't seem to overheat or cause my N5 or N7 to overheat or get even remotely warm at all.... I have read a few reviews that said the charger gets warm or hot....... Why I figured I'd rather just fork out the extra cash and get what seemed like a more higher end charger.... I have not plugged either my N5 or N7 into a USB port for charging in weeks now...

I also make sure that my battery is dead or near dead before I just plop it down on the charger.... It is possible setting it on the wireless charging pad and picking it up all day long letting it just slightly discharge and then slightly charge up again COULD wear the battery out quicker.... So I take mine off the charger in the morning at home and if it's a heavy use day I'll make sure to throw it on the charger at work 2 - 3 hours before I leave so it has a full charge... outside of that I try and leave it off the charger unless it actually needs it.... some times at night it has plenty enough battery that I don't charge it at night and then set it down at work (Since I know I am glued to this desk 8+ hours every day Monday - Friday) I don't like to just top charge unless I know I am going to do something.. I like to run my battery down to 20% or lower before I charge it up (If possible)

Lithium Ion batteries would rather be charged than drained. There is no memory for a Lithium Ion so charge to your hearts content. One way or another a Lithium Ion has something like 500 complete charge cycles. That's 0-100 so if you're at 80% you only used 20% of that cycle. Charge it up bud!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
where did you read that?

There was a discussion on this when the Droid Maxx came out. We noticed more heat or do we thought. Further testing proved plugging it in and wireless were almost the same.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
There was a discussion on this when the Droid Maxx came out. We noticed more heat or do we thought. Further testing proved plugging it in and wireless were almost the same.

I found something here http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_without_wires

Some interesting results, I guess energy efficiency is lower for sure. Article also says:
Lost energy turns into heat and a wireless charger can get quite warm during charge. Any temperature increase to the battery causes undue stress, and batteries charged on wireless devices may not last as long on a mat as on the regular plug-in charger

Would be good to see some data, which does require long term study though.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I found something here http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_without_wires

Some interesting results, I guess energy efficiency is lower for sure. Article also says:

Would be good to see some data, which does require long term study though.

True. I monitored my temperature when charging with wireless and wired and noticed it was about the same. Wireless was slightly warmer but in no way would this be cause for concern. Now granted this wasn't a formal study or test but it made me feel safe even though I am cautious.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
True. I monitored my temperature when charging with wireless and wired and noticed it was about the same. Wireless was slightly warmer but in no way would this be cause for concern. Now granted this wasn't a formal study or test but it made me feel safe even though I am cautious.
somebody should do a study for sure, considering Qi charger is getting more attention now.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I did the same.. compare the temp wireless vs wired and the difference was minimal.......

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't get too worried about what could potentially happen from wireless charging. I can tell you this, my S3 got a damaged USB port so I couldn't ever use it. I HAD to do wireless charging. So at least with wireless charging, I know that the USB port isn't getting worn out or damaged......

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Not according to the Wireless Power Consortium

Is wired charging more efficient?

" In a study presented during the Wireless Power Summit, Kalyan Siddabattula compared the efficiency of wired and wireless battery chargers.

The surprising conclusion is that wireless chargers can be as efficient as wired chargers"

wire-wireless-efficiency-comparison.jpg

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
is that "next gen direct charge" item on sale now?

No idea. Looked around and this is the best I could find Qualcomm? WiPower™ Technology, a product of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., that is part of another group of wireless charging body called Alliance for Wireless Power Unveils Rezence™ Brand

So looks like Wireless Power Consortium and Alliance for Wireless Power are two different groups with maybe competing standards.

Rezence Brand

Rezence stands for the next generation in wireless charging. Derived from the words resonance and essence, the name represents the the underlying technology along with its ability to charge a variety of electronic devices. Rezence will come to represent flexibility and adaptability, features vital to the growth of wireless power.

Along with the name comes a simple, iconic mark to represent the technology. It references space and power to form a 'Z'. The 'Z' features prominently within various aspects of the new brand. The icon will be found on certified products as a mark of interoperability, and over time, at the places people eat, drink, shop, work, and more, to indicate where flexible, smart wireless charging is available.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Looks like from this article there are three competing groups for wireless standards. So looks like Wireless Power Consortium, Alliance for Wireless Power and Power Matters Alliance, Inc are the three different groups with competing standards.

Wireless Power Consortium symbol is Qi
Alliance for Wireless Power symbol is Z with lighting bolt.
Power Matters Alliance symbol is P only with Two perpendicular rings forming a dynamic ‘Electron P’, surrounded by one circle of power

This one uses the term "next gen" but not sure that is what my first article was talking about.

Alliance for Wireless Power launches 'Rezence' brand for wireless charging

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
According to AllThingsD, at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, the A4WP plans to demonstrate prerelease phones and chargers with the Rezence technology built in, and hopes to have the products in the market by the first half of next year.

The A4WP supports magnetic resonant charging, which is different from the inductive charging Qi model backed by the WPC and Power 2.0 from the Power Matter’s Alliance (PMA) because the device and charger are less tightly coupled. This allows users to charge multiple devices simultaneously and across short distances. This also means users don't need to place a device in a particular spot and orientation on a specific charging pad. For retailers and other public locations such as airports, the A4WP said Rezence can be easily integrated into existing furniture and surfaces.

In October Qualcomm became a member of all three wireless charging bodies in the hope that by having a foot in the three camps it can harmonize the different standards into a single one. Gary Matos, an Intel worker who serves as director of strategic marketing for the A4WP, said that could soon be at hand.

"Convergence will need to take place," he told AllThingsD. "I suspect it is not going to be too, too far off in the future."

Read more: Alliance for Wireless Power launches 'Rezence' brand for wireless charging - FierceWireless Alliance for Wireless Power launches 'Rezence' brand for wireless charging - FierceWireless

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch