How can I get SMS and voice to work while in France?

francesd

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I just bought a new nexus 5..my first smart phone. When I arrived in France today (I go back and forth a lot) I found I couldn't receive texts or calls. I have tried with data on and off...and still nothing. I obviously have some setting wrong...but don't know what. Could someone help? Ta

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: texts in france

If it's the first time you travel abroad with that phone it could be a number of things. Maybe your carrier is blocking your service since you're roaming and need special configuration from their end, maybe you've set up the phone to block data when roaming to avoid ridiculous overcharges, or maybe your phone is not compatible with any of the carriers in the area you're traveling to (the radio bands are not compatible).

francesd

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: texts in france

Ok...well, I'm with Orange...which is a french company, and I can see there are available networks there..but can't register with them. I have tried getting someone to ring and text me with both the data roaming on and off, and that doesn't work. So I suppose the next thing I have to do is wait until I go back to england and go to an Orange shop? It's a nuisance...with my old blackberry, it just automatically went onto the french network....I only want to be able to send and receive texts....I have wi fi in my house here, so thats ok.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you do an online chat with your carrier? Sounds like you need a roaming plan.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Where are you based, UK?

I just want to warn you to be certain you are not racking up enormous charges while "roaming" in France. I strongly suggest you call Orange and inquire before it is too late to undo the damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non