Has the battery life improved over the last few months

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, originally I used a nexus 5 back in April, but felt like I couldn't really rely on it heavily due to inconsistent battery life. This was when the device was on 4.4.2. I could get to the end if the day at about 10 percent or so, but heavy use I really felt it.

Since there has been two software updates since then, and with android L coming soon, has the battery life of the nexus 5 improved at all since then or will Android L increase it? Also, is it even worth getting the phone at this point since it's about 10 months old ? From what we've been hearing, the next nexus phone is either going to be pjs let sized or they're not going to make another at all.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
So, originally I used a nexus 5 back in April, but felt like I couldn't really rely on it heavily due to inconsistent battery life. This was when the device was on 4.4.2. I could get to the end if the day at about 10 percent or so, but heavy use I really felt it.

Since there has been two software updates since then, and with android L coming soon, has the battery life of the nexus 5 improved at all since then or will Android L increase it? Also, is it even worth getting the phone at this point since it's about 10 months old ? From what we've been hearing, the next nexus phone is either going to be pjs let sized or they're not going to make another at all.

I just bought one a week ago since my last phone died and I needed a new phone immediately. The battery life has been good for me. I get through the day easily and I'm loving the performance and whole experience of the device. I feel it was money well spent.

Posted via the Android Central App

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I just bought one a week ago since my last phone died and I needed a new phone immediately. The battery life has been good for me. I get through the day easily and I'm loving the performance and whole experience of the device. I feel it was money well spent.

Posted via the Android Central App

How heavily do you use the phone? I'm on my phone practically all day.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I would say standby time has improved greatly after updates. At least for me it has. I'm getting about 3-4 hours screen on time per charge.

Posted via Android Central App

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, the phone has shipped, but I'm having some second thoughts. Last time I used the nexus 5 I just had trouble getting to the end of the day. And I'm hearing that the recent software updates haven't done much to improve that. I don't know, maybe I should see how android L improves this, but I'm getting apprehensive.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for about a month. I also get between 3 and 5 hours screen on time, but I don't play graphic intensive games. Kindle, Twitter, G+, Internet, music, occasional You Tube. On a heavy day (read not at work) I generally have to charge in the middle of the day, cause I've been on it pretty much non-stop, but on a normal day I see about 14 hours.

ETA: Oh yeah, and the AC app, obviously.

Posted via my Nexus 5 via the Android Central App

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm a light to moderate user on most days, so the battery life was initially great for me. I even made it several 12+ hour days at Disney World with nearly half of the battery left (and this was after much more than normal use for me). However, it seems that since I've updated to 4.4.4 the battery drains significantly quicker than it did before. I find myself plugging it up throughout the day, which was never necessary. I've been getting little over an hour of screen on time when the battery is down to 50%. Anyone else having this issue?

Boby Irawan

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm a heavy user. Brought N5 since January. Battery life is great with tricks. My settings:

- install velis auto brightness (amoled preset). N5 auto brightness is crap.

-I used G+, but disable contact sync & people suggestion.

-open google settings and check opt-based interest ads.

-here is the truth; if your apps used so many wakelocks for using data usages, no wonder batter life's getting worse.
So I disable background data for:

-play books
-Flipboard
-google+
-maps
-play music
-9gag
-IMDb
-sound hound
-Teamviewer

And also disable unused pre-Installed keyboard and apps, like HP prints & TalkBack.

That's it. I can get constant 3 hours for 3G and 4 hours in WiFi.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is fairly complicated. It can vary greatly not only due to settings on the phone, but personal usage, as well as local signal strength. Mine went down when I upgraded from 4.4.3 to 4.4.4, but has gone back to normal once I rerooted it (I lost root for 2 weeks). I get 2 days of use out of the phone, but am not a heavy user most days. It's actually improved, but I think that's because the network has improved in my area.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is fairly complicated. It can vary greatly not only due to settings on the phone, but personal usage, as well as local signal strength. Mine went down when I upgraded from 4.4.3 to 4.4.4, but has gone back to normal once I rerooted it (I lost root for 2 weeks). I get 2 days of use out of the phone, but am not a heavy user most days. It's actually improved, but I think that's because the network has improved in my area.

It's just, I don't want to keep the phone past the return windows from google to see if android L fixes the battery life. ( if I have a issue) and find out that L doesn't prove it really

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I got my Nexus 5 about 2 months ago. I get over a day on one charge easily. Las friday was a holiday and I didn't touch my phone a lot and forgot to charge it over night. I still had 72% at 10 a.m. next day.

So yes, I am happy with the battery.
Others ain't, but others are driving different apps, so there is always a chance that one of the apps polls a lot or does other things to throw your powerconsumption out of whack...

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
It's just, I don't want to keep the phone past the return windows from google to see if android L fixes the battery life. ( if I have a issue) and find out that L doesn't prove it really
I expect L may move to ART full time, and that might be where lots of the battery improvements are made. ART improved my idle time drain immensely, which is a huge gain for any light to moderate users.

But don't expect miracles. If the N5 battery isn't enough for you now, don't wait for it to get better if you can't tweak your phone to get it there now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie