Why don't I have incoming text messages after a low storage space issue?

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
no incoming text messages after low storage space issue

(See update three messages below this one)

So for weeks I've been dealing with a low storage space issue on my N5. I've been hovering at about 500MB of free space. I delete some photos, some cached data, etc., and get some more breathing room for awhile. (An aside: there's a specific app that is using way too much data storage and the amount keeps going up and up; I'm trying to resolve that issue without deleting the app.)

Occasionally I've received the system alerts about no new voicemail downloads, possibly no new message downloads, etc. I'll clear some space and those alerts go away and everything continues to seem to work fine.

This morning I got the low storage space alert(s), deleted some stuff, eventually got a handful of new email notifications, but for the past 6+ hours I've received no new txt messages (I use Messenger app for sms). I currently have 553MB of free space, I'm getting email notifications, and txt messages I send out are successfully received.

How do I resolve this? My N5 is unrooted. I've tried leaving it off for awhile, and have obviously rebooted it. Could this just be some network issue? (I'm on tmobile.)

(btw, I somewhat recently backed up and deleted a bunch of sms/mms messages, so there's only about 8000 currently on my phone, taking up about 165MB of space.)

Last edited:

alvintimothyjr

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: no incoming text messages after low storage space issue

So for weeks I've been dealing with a low storage space issue on my N5. I've been hovering at about 500MB of free space. I delete some photos, some cached data, etc., and get some more breathing room for awhile. (An aside: there's a specific app that is using way too much data storage and the amount keeps going up and up; I'm trying to resolve that issue without deleting the app.)

Occasionally I've received the system alerts about no new voicemail downloads, possibly no new message downloads, etc. I'll clear some space and those alerts go away and everything continues to seem to work fine.

This morning I got the low storage space alert(s), deleted some stuff, eventually got a handful of new email notifications, but for the past 6+ hours I've received no new txt messages (I use Messenger app for sms). I currently have 553MB of free space, I'm getting email notifications, and txt messages I send out are successfully received.

How do I resolve this? My N5 is unrooted. I've tried leaving it off for awhile, and have obviously rebooted it. Could this just be some network issue? (I'm on tmobile.)

(btw, I somewhat recently backed up and deleted a bunch of sms/mms messages, so there's only about 8000 currently on my phone, taking up about 165MB of space.)
I'd back up your files in your storage and factory reset your nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I'd back up your files in your storage and factory reset your nexus.

I was hoping to avoid that action (and it doesn't reveal why the problem is happening? Will that fix it for certain?).

Additionally, I'm still confused how to backup certain app data. I used Helium to backup my N4 app data and restore to the N5 long ago. Nowadays though Helium doesn't work and the developer doesn't respond to emails.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Update:

I've discovered that if I make an outgoing call then I receive some text messages. For each call I make I seem to receive another batch of messages.

What does this indicate?!
Is there anything I can check in network/sim settings?!

thanks.