Massively..... better...... battery life suddenly?

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5, MM build MRA58N, stock doze settings

Anyone else noticing significantly better battery life the last couple days? Until the other day, I would start with a full charge before going to bed. The next morning, battery monitor would report about 4 days remaining, which I thought was actually pretty good. But lately it is reporting more than a week remaining the morning after a full charge. See screenshot below. I can't tell if some recent app update is to "blame" or perhaps doze finally shut something down.

Whatever it is, I like it ;) If it is indeed accurate, this is what I have been waiting for since I got my first smartphone... a week of standby with light to no use. Just like my old feature phone.

Screenshot_20151117-072030.jpg

Paul

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
that's GREAT!!!
Yeah, it is. As long as it is correct ;) One thing I've noticed is that often the items on the battery drain list do not add up to the total amount of discharge. Like for example the status will show 80% left but the items on the list only add up to (for example) 10%, leaving 10% unaccounted for. Maybe there was something that wasn't being shown on the list that is (due to an update) no longer contributing to the overall drain.

I just checked and the battery currently shows 83% remaining. All the items on the list add up to 16% (ie. accounting for all discharge, within 1%).

Whatever it is, it was sudden as of a couple days ago.

Paul

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

Anyone else noticing significantly better battery life the last couple days? Until the other day, I would start with a full charge before going to bed. The next morning, battery monitor would report about 4 days remaining, which I thought was actually pretty good. But lately it is reporting more than a week remaining the morning

So this is specific to N? Your previous monitoring was on K? I haven't run N yet. Right now, mine is showing 95% with 3 hours left (almost no cell reception in my house). I'm pretty sure that's not correct. GSAMBattery monitor shows 1 day.

Last edited:

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

Anyone else noticing significantly better battery life the last couple days? Until the other day, I would start with a full charge before going to bed. The next morning, battery monitor would report about 4 days remaining, which I thought was actually pretty good. But lately it is reporting more than a week remaining the morning after a full charge. See screenshot below. I can't tell if some recent app update is to "blame" or perhaps doze finally shut something down.

Whatever it is, I like it ;) If it is indeed accurate, this is what I have been waiting for since I got my first smartphone... a week of standby with light to no use. Just like my old feature phone.

View attachment 206159

Paul

Well, I'm not noticing any better battery life while the phone is in use. When it's using mobile data, I can watch the battery level go down before my eyes as usual, even running Android 6.0 with the new security update.
I've wanted to ask you guys for some time whether I can send my phone back to Google, where I bought it, and pay them to install a superior battery, assuming there is a compatible one? My phone isn't rooted, but I believe it is unlocked in that it came with T-Mobile SIM card when I purchased it.
What do you think? Is this something that just is not done?

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
So this is specific to N? Your previous monitoring was on K? I haven't run N yet. Right now, mine is showing 95% with 3 hours left (almost no cell reception in my house). I'm pretty sure that's not correct. GSAMBattery monitor shows 1 day.

This is specific to Android 6.0 Marshmallow and not Nexus. There is an Android app if you are not running Marshmallow; it's called Doze. Doze is built into Marshmallow; you can't adjust the settings like you used to do.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, aware of Doze, but as you reported on N5 improved battery life (for the notoriously horrid battery life on N5), I wondered if N version was worth flashing. I'm still running the first iteration of MM. Unfortunately, Doze doesn't help with battery drain due to poor cell signals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez