Nexus 5 version of Nexus 6?

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I know that this is the Nexus 6 forum, but I figured this would get the best responses since it relates to the hardware of the Nexus 6 so to speak.

Does anyone know, suspect, think, etc., that Google might also be planning a Nexus 5 2014 version like they did with the Nexus 7?

As it stands the Nexus 6 is a nice device that I have absolutely no interest in. It is too big and too expensive to be considered, despite the fact that I still have over a year of use left in my Nexus 5. When I do upgrade, I most definitely want to stick with the Nexus line if it is feasible.

Posted via the Android Central App

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Highly unlikely. Googles new phone cycle has not changed in three years. One phone released in late Oct or early Nov. Their strategy did change with the carrier partnerships and the cutting edge specs, as well as the comparable price. There is no comparing this to Googles tablet strategy. There is no consistency.They still seem to be trying to find a strategy for tablets.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
They seem to be keeping the Nexus 5 from 2013 alive for now.... If I had to "GUESS" I'd say you might see an updated Nexus 5 in the first quarter of 2015.. Maybe some time in the Spring when the 64 bit Snapdragon 808 and 810 processors are in mass production.... Almost seems like the Nexus 6 came out just in time to do battle with the Note 4..... Maybe a 5.2 inch Nexus 5 with a 64 bit processor will hit in the Spring to battle against the Galaxy S6 (or whatever they call it) the first of next year.....

Pure speculation on my part but I know the 808 and 810 were not ready for mass production yet and Qualcomm had already said first half of 2015 on those chips.... Specially if they release it on all carriers like they are doing with the Nexus 6.... if that's the case you might not see $350 - 400 pricing on it either..... You'll probably see $500 - 600 range....

leafs123

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I know that this is the Nexus 6 forum, but I figured this would get the best responses since it relates to the hardware of the Nexus 6 so to speak.

Does anyone know, suspect, think, etc., that Google might also be planning a Nexus 5 2014 version like they did with the Nexus 7?

As it stands the Nexus 6 is a nice device that I have absolutely no interest in. It is too big and too expensive to be considered, despite the fact that I still have over a year of use left in my Nexus 5. When I do upgrade, I most definitely want to stick with the Nexus line if it is feasible.

The Moto X is the Nexus 5 for 2014. Why would Moto/Google make another phone that competes directly with the Moto X?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The Moto X is the Nexus 5 for 2014. Why would Moto/Google make another phone that competes directly with the Moto X?

Nexus 4 and 5 were loosely based off the comparable LG model of that year and were priced considerably less than the LG models while missing an option or two.... So it's not completely out of the realm of possibility... although I do agree with you.... I think if the Nexus 6 is too big for you the 2014 Moto X is a great alternate for a pure android experience in a smaller form factor.....

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

Well, for one, Google sold Motorola earlier in the year, to Lenovo I believe. Secondly, is the Moto X a pure Android device with specs comparable to the Nexus 6?

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
They seem to be keeping the Nexus 5 from 2013 alive for now.... If I had to "GUESS" I'd say you might see an updated Nexus 5 in the first quarter of 2015.. Maybe some time in the Spring when the 64 bit Snapdragon 808 and 810 processors are in mass production.... Almost seems like the Nexus 6 came out just in time to do battle with the Note 4..... Maybe a 5.2 inch Nexus 5 with a 64 bit processor will hit in the Spring to battle against the Galaxy S6 (or whatever they call it) the first of next year.....

Pure speculation on my part but I know the 808 and 810 were not ready for mass production yet and Qualcomm had already said first half of 2015 on those chips.... Specially if they release it on all carriers like they are doing with the Nexus 6.... if that's the case you might not see $350 - 400 pricing on it either..... You'll probably see $500 - 600 range....

That's definitely unfortunate. The price factor was a big plus for me. I guess that I will just have to wait and see?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, for one, Google sold Motorola earlier in the year, to Lenovo I believe. Secondly, is the Moto X a pure Android device with specs comparable to the Nexus 6?

The 2014 Moto X has what they call a "Pure Edition" which is suppose to be bloat free stock android with just a few Motorola add on things... But even the carrier Moto X is about as stock android as you can get.. and pretty close to top of the line.... It has the 801 processor vs the 805 and has a 1080p screen vs a Quad HD..... 2 gig of RAM vs 3 gig.....

The tweaks Motorola has done with the software maximizes the "Lessor" processor and RAM...

It's a step up slightly from the Nexus 5 and just a slight step down from the Nexus 6 (On paper at least)

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

It'll be just as fast and you won't be able to tell the difference, in fact you won't be able to tell the difference with the old Nexus 5 either. The N6 have a slightly faster processor, but it also have a higher resolution screen, so maybe it will even out.

The Moto X use stock Android with a few added features. I am already certain that the N6 camera will be a lot better than the Moto X though. And it's 32/64GB instead of 16GB/32GB for the X, but of course it also cost $150 more, unless you go with subsidized contract price.

I still prefer the Moto X because it have the Motorola features which is indispensable for me.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
It'll be just as fast and you won't be able to tell the difference, in fact you won't be able to tell the difference with the old Nexus 5 either. The N6 have a slightly faster processor, but it also have a higher resolution screen, so maybe it will even out.

The Moto X use stock Android with a few added features. I am already certain that the N6 camera will be a lot better than the Moto X though. And it's 32/64GB instead of 16GB/32GB for the X, but of course it also cost $150 more, unless you go with subsidized contract price.

I still prefer the Moto X because it have the Motorola features which is indispensable for me.

Which features? The 6 is going to have ambient screen, where the screen lights up for notifications. It's going to light up when you pick it up. And it has always listening ok Google.

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Which features? The 6 is going to have ambient screen, where the screen lights up for notifications. It's going to light up when you pick it up. And it has always listening ok Google.

Posted via Android Central App
I have to see how the features are comparable though. Okay Google is nice, but I like my custom phrase without having Google recording my audio history. With Always listening for Google search, you are forced to enable audio history. Also Moto Assist is extremely useful for me, I am a Tasker users as well but I like the way Motorola implement their version. You may notice pretty much most of these features, including trusted devices are things that came from the Moto X.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I would love to see a smaller, slightly less expensive version of the Nexus 6. Will it happen? I don't know. If it doesn't, my plan is this: keep my Nexus 5 for another year, and when 2015's version of the Nexus phone comes out, I will snatch up the Nexus 6, which will hopefully be a little cheaper by then. As for a 'year old model,' I'm betting a phone with Snapdragon 805, 3 GB RAM and a quad HD display won't exactly become obsolete this time next year.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh and the snap 810 is gonna make the 805 obsolete big time, at least for what I've heard.

the biggest difference is the 32 vs 64 bit processing and the 810 can stream 4K video (I don't see that being THAT important for another couple of years)

outside that everything after CPU and GPU is almost exactly the same (although those are kind of the two biggest) Should be faster, thinner and more fuel efficient than than the 805......

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/805

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/810

EDIT: Plus it's technology... there is ALWAYS going to be something lighter, faster and newer right around the corner... When the Nexus 6 ships it will be right at the top of the heap with the Note 4, Droid Turbo and such until probably first of next year.... First of next year it will be whatever comes out at the January - March trade shows and they will be the top of the line until the summer and fall season..... and it just keeps going and going and going like that forever....

Last edited:

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
You want the Droid Turbo. Same spec'd phone at 5.2". Unless you aren't on Verizon and in the US, then you're looking for the Moto X. They won't be updated as quick as a Nexus, but Motorola has proven they are quick to update their newer Droids and Moto X faster than anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I think the next device Google will release is Project Ara:

Google targeting Project Ara modular phone for January 2015 - CNET (article link here)

Project Ara is the modular phone that Google acquired from Motorola. $50 gets you the base module with wifi, and you buy additional components to expand its capabilities. Hopefully Google will release a wide variety of modules that will fit people's preferences and budget.

Of course, this is a new concept, so a lot of things could go wrong with a modular phone. However, it does hold much promise. For people who don't want a Nexus 6, Project Ara might be what they are looking for.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
You want the Droid Turbo. Same spec'd phone at 5.2". Unless you aren't on Verizon and in the US, then you're looking for the Moto X. They won't be updated as quick as a Nexus, but Motorola has proven they are quick to update their newer Droids and Moto X faster than anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on AT&T, so no Turbo. The update schedule of the Nexus is part of the appeal, so that kind of tarnishes the Moto X. I'm going to try and get at least another year of use out of my Nexus 5, hopefully there will be a newer version of the Nexus 5 at that point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm on AT&T, so no Turbo. The update schedule of the Nexus is part of the appeal, so that kind of tarnishes the Moto X. I'm going to try and get at least another year of use out of my Nexus 5, hopefully there will be a newer version of the Nexus 5 at that point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
It's probably going to be a 5.5" with slim bezel if there will be one.