After watching MKBHD'S Lollipop review, I'm sold on nexus 6.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Hah, just finished watching that video a minute ago.

And yeah Android Lollipop looks great. Seems like the cleanest and most visually impressive version of Android yet. I'll be getting the Nexus 6 on release, so can't wait to fire up Android 5.0 on that bad boy.

Screen pinning looks like a great idea, however I was hoping there'd be a passcode or pattern unlock to show up before it removes the pin. If someone knows that you have to press the back and multi-task button to remove the screen pinning, then it kind of defeats the purpose. I would have liked it if when you press the back and multi-task button, your pattern/pin security pops up for you to enter to remove the screen pinning mode. However if you don't have a lock set, then it won't come up with one.

Only a minor thing, but would like it to be addressed in the future.

Also I'm looking forward to a stack of app updates from Google. Gmail, Maps, Calendar, Keep and particularly the new camera app. I'm not a huge fan of the current Google Camera app as I feel it's pretty lackluster, but up there's going to be a big update for it in 5.0.

Eden Xu

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hah, just finished watching that video a minute ago.

And yeah Android Lollipop looks great. Seems like the cleanest and most visually impressive version of Android yet. I'll be getting the Nexus 6 on release, so can't wait to fire up Android 5.0 on that bad boy.

Screen pinning looks like a great idea, however I was hoping there'd be a passcode or pattern unlock to show up before it removes the pin. If someone knows that you have to press the back and multi-task button to remove the screen pinning, then it kind of defeats the purpose. I would have liked it if when you press the back and multi-task button, your pattern/pin security pops up for you to enter to remove the screen pinning mode. However if you don't have a lock set, then it won't come up with one.

Only a minor thing, but would like it to be addressed in the future.

Also I'm looking forward to a stack of app updates from Google. Gmail, Maps, Calendar, Keep and particularly the new camera app. I'm not a huge fan of the current Google Camera app as I feel it's pretty lackluster, but up there's going to be a big update for it in 5.0.

If you got passcode, it will pop up

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
If you got passcode, it will pop up

Oh is that so? That's great then. Exactly what I wanted.

I hand my Nexus 7 to my niece to play games on, and she always manages to press the home button and goes back to my home screen and starts opening apps. This would be great to prevent that from happening.

Lbesze

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Can't say I'm crazy about the abundance of pale and white colors, which has been my one of the longest standing complaint of Maps when looking at it at night in the dark. get a night mode on that already, and now the entire UI will be like that, great!

Eden Xu

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Oh is that so? That's great then. Exactly what I wanted.

I hand my Nexus 7 to my niece to play games on, and she always manages to press the home button and goes back to my home screen and starts opening apps. This would be great to prevent that from happening.

Yea, but once you reach the lock screen, you cant go back to the pinned screen. You will have to unlock the device. Yea, screen pinning is so useful in many situations, can't wait!

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
All the visual updates are nice, but I really hope battery life is better. Project Volta so far isn't really that impressive, ART battery life benefits are unknown too.

Mayze

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Can't say I'm crazy about the abundance of pale and white colors, which has been my one of the longest standing complaint of Maps when looking at it at night in the dark. get a night mode on that already, and now the entire UI will be like that, great!
Not to mention that since it uses an amoled display all that white is going to use more battery. I'm sure it won't be long though before someone develops a dark theme.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The most important thing I gathered from that video is how great lollipop looks on the n5 :)

I am very tempted by the n6, but only b.c the battery life is crap on the n5. If 5.0 can actually improve battery, I have no personal reason to upgrade.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The most important thing I gathered from that video is how great lollipop looks on the n5 :)

I am very tempted by the n6, but only b.c the battery life is crap on the n5. If 5.0 can actually improve battery, I have no personal reason to upgrade.

While the results from the testing cited in the link I posted above are for a pre-release version of 5.0, I think it's a reasonable expectation that the final version will yield a similar boost. Of course, the parameters of usage they tested it under will vary from that of any individual user, so YMMV.