Should I Get A Nexus 6?

DecentDreamer

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so I was planning on getting a Note 4, but after playing around with my friend's Nexus 5 I am reconsidering. That phone is so freaking snappy; I loved it. My one question is if I should wait for another pure Android phone to be released that is 64 bit. I'll be doing a new 2 year contract, so I just want to make sure this is a phone that will last me for a while.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I was planning on getting a Note 4, but after playing around with my friend's Nexus 5 I am reconsidering. That phone is so freaking snappy; I loved it. My one question is if I should wait for another pure Android phone to be released that is 64 bit. I'll be doing a new 2 year contract, so I just want to make sure this is a phone that will last me for a while.

get the Nexus 6. it will future proof you more than any other phone on the market. waiting another whole year for a non-existent mythical device is stupid.

good luck.

ejordan

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
The consensus I've seen is that 64-bit will for the most part be a buzz word for a while, with people guessing 2016 being around the time when the technology will actually start being taken advantage of in a meaningful way and the things we do will be optimized for it.

This is an excerpt from an AndroidCentral article about this very question, A 32-bit Nexus in a 64-bit world: Why Google's new phone isn't already obsolete

So answer the question — is the Nexus 6 obsolete because of the processor?

Nope.

When you can buy the Nexus 6 and hold it in your paws, it won't make much difference at all. We won't see the "dramatic" battery life improvements that we expect to see from ARM v8 chips, but the things you run and the way you run them won't change because Lollipop offers 64-bit support.

It's just not totally future-proof.

When you can buy a Nexus 6, the processor won't make much difference.

One day, Google will stand on stage somewhere to show off some amazing new feature in an upcoming version of Android that will only work "if the hardware supports it." That will be code for "We're leveraging the extra computational power of a 64-bit processor and it would lag like hell on a 32-bit processor so we won't offer it to those."

Chances are, the Nexus 6 will be long in the tooth at that point and everyone who bought one will be ready to buy new hardware already. But there has to be a cut-off point if Google ever hopes to use some of the features of the 64-bit architecture to write more intensive and power-hungry software. We assume Google is smart and will make that cut-off point happen once all the OEMs (and themselves) have had devices that can support new features available for a while. But we can't be 100-percent sure.

So basically if you're planning on getting a new phone in two years, you'll be coming in right as things are actually happening in the 64-bit world for smart phones and most likely you wouldn't have missed too much, if anything at all besides a few cool things. Sorry for the long-winded answer, hope it helps!

Edit: Whoops was beaten on posting the article haha

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
get the Nexus 6. it will future proof you more than any other phone on the market. waiting another whole year for a non-existent mythical device is stupid.

good luck.

When you say a 'non-existent mythical device,' are you still referring to the Nexus 6, or to another device that appears to be a 'unicorn' at the moment?