Trusted Places

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I just went into smart lock and look what was waiting for me. No more locking my phone at home! Now to add smart lock based on WiFi networks...

I cropped the top to keep my work email off of here.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 697.jpg
    697.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

doubleblack

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
How did you get to this screen? To my knowledge this was not supposed to be in lollipop it was supposed to be trusted devices and face only.

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I went into smart unlock and there it was waiting for me. It's under security, smart lock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-22-15-48-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-22-15-48-45.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 198

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Its part of the new Google Play Serves which launched this week. Version 6.5.something. It will be there once you get the OTA. Or you can load the APK now. Google for it.

Can you do trusted WiFi networks??? That would be even smarter!

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
A thread in the Android 5 section said it was GPS only. I'm wondering whether GPS would drain the battery faster and also whether using GPS would mean it would be unlocked for some distance outside your home or work location?

If you can use it with trusted WiFI, I wonder if it would work if you don't broadcast your SSID?

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Its part of the new Google Play Serves which launched this week. Version 6.5.something. It will be there once you get the OTA. Or you can load the APK now. Google for it.

Can you do trusted WiFi networks??? That would be even smarter!
This was driving me nuts. I wasn't seeing Trusted Places. I've updated all the apps, rebooted. I'm currently using Tasker and think this might be nice to try.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this was in the Nexus 4 factory image or in a subsequent update to the services, but I have this. Haven't used it yet though...

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this was in the Nexus 4 factory image or in a subsequent update to the services, but I have this. Haven't used it yet though...
Update... Really weird. I used to have this, now that option is gone. Face is disabled by administrator so I would expect if this was the cause I would see it but it would be grayed out with the same note.

jdefgts

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted Nexus 5 and 7 (2013), both with Lollipop and the 6.5.85 version of Google Play Services. The location settings on both devices is set for battery saving and the remaining location settings appear to be the same. On the Nexus 5 I have enabled Trusted Places and it appears to be working correctly. On the Nexus 7 Smart Lock offers only Trusted Devices and Trusted Face, with Trusted Places missing. Any ideas what might be wrong?

I think the trusted places is a great idea (I would prefer wifi MAC address though) and would love to be able to implement it on my Nexus 7.

arealcoolhand

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. Finally got the Play Services update on my N4 and N7 2013. Rebooted them both. Trusted Places is there on the N4 but nowhere to be found on the N7.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Woke up this morning at "Home" and had to enter my PIN to unlock. I thought maybe I had had a random reboot overnight, but my GSAM line was solid (meaning no reboot had occurred). So either there is a time out for Trusted Places, or my GPS "wandered" overnight. I was asleep for 6 hours.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I get the random request for a PIN, maybe every third day. Other than that, I LOVE this feature. Locks the device when I leave home and unlocks when I arrive back. I used to use Tasker which monitored local cell towers and when it didn't see the tower, it locked...some of the time. That was concerning.

Trusted places has worked every time I leave home.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I get the random request for a PIN, maybe every third day. Other than that, I LOVE this feature. Locks the device when I leave home and unlocks when I arrive back. I used to use Tasker which monitored local cell towers and when it didn't see the tower, it locked...some of the time. That was concerning.

Trusted places has worked every time I leave home.
I seem to get this on my first login of the day. My Android Wear never is out of range but for some reason it might be disconnecting... Perhaps some default inactivity timer or something.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I seem to get this on my first login of the day. My Android Wear never is out of range but for some reason it might be disconnecting... Perhaps some default inactivity timer or something.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Right. The first unlock of the day. Since you're using Trusted Devices, I guess my wandering GPS isn't right.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87