Best way to purchase for Tmo Use

Dan Owen1

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I hope I am ok making a thread for this...I searched and did not find anything similar which answered my question..

I am currently on Verizon, off contract. I want the N6, which is taking forever so I am going to switch to TMO. Now they do not carry the white that I want, so if I buy the phone from the Motorola store ( bare with with me as I have never done this, lol I have been with V forever) , Wait for it to ship to me, I can then go in to the TMO store and start up with them no problem? Is this the best way to accomplish this? I also want to keep the number I have had for ages. Thanks for any replies as I have never purchased a phone a manufacturer as opposed to a carrier so unsure of how this all works.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) You can buy an N6 for Verizon from Motorola, as far as I see.

2) Buying from TMobile, when you start a new contract, will give you the subsidized price. Buying from Motorola won't.

3) Make sure that TMobile covers the places you need covered. (Don't depend on the map, that's some 3 year old's scribble, not an accurate representation of coverage.) Use an actual phone. Find a friend on TMobile and drive around to where you normally go. Or make sure that you can cancel the account (usually within 2 weeks) if their coverage doesn't suit your needs. (You'll need to pay for actual airtime used.) Then drive around to all the places you normally go. (Not just in the vicinity - Sprint covers this city better than AT&T - except for the hole that exactly corresponds to the inside of my daughter's house. (It's a shadowing effect, caused by a hill.) AT&T has no-to-poor coverage - in an area I'll never be in - but excellent coverage everywhere else.

Oh - have you ever gotten that "underwater" sound? That's what happens when a CDMA (Sprint and Verizon) signal gets weak. When a GSM (AT&T and TMobile) signal gets weak it sounds like autotuning gone wild. Totally different, and something you have to get used to. (I was in the Navy and ate while seasoned career sailors were looking for a rail to lean over, but when a CDMA signal "goes digital", I get queasy. GSM? It sounds funny, but it doesn't bother me. It sickens some people.)

Dan Owen1

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much for the very helpful reply. I guess I could stay with Verizon, but do not like the idea of using a phone they do not support ( yet) , I guess 2 mos or so until they do isn't that bad assuming they actually will eventually support it.

I live in norcal near sacramento, and I do like to drive to the sierras to mtn bike. I like to have service just in case something happens 10 mi from my truck. Unfortunately I do not know a lot of people up here so have no way of testing .

Thanks again for your reply , you answered all that I need answered:)

JeffreyVB

May 8, 2012
Visit site
2) Buying from TMobile, when you start a new contract, will give you the subsidized price. Buying from Motorola won't.

T-Mobile doesn't subsidize the cost of phones anymore. You will pay the full price, but you pay it out over the course of the 2yr contract. The full cost of the phone is divided into 24 payments and added to your monthly bill.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
they do not carry the white that I want

It may not be an option you want, but if you haven't seen them, check out dbrand skins - you could just pick up a Midnight Blue model and apply one ($13 USD including worldwide shipping). They have a matte white skin for the back you could put on the Midnight Blue (though the side trim would still show as bluish rather than the silver of the Cloud White), or any number of other options including white carbon fiber or white 'leather'.

I had never seen a skin that truly looked like it was on OEM part of the phone before, but after seeing a few 'real' pictures posted by people with them on their Nexus 6, I picked up a black carbon fiber skin for the back of mine. It took a few minutes to get it positioned perfectly, but once done, it looks amazing - it's nearly impossible to tell that it wasn't produced that way - even the trimming around the Nexus logo (and Motorolo logo if you want) are perfect. The ]only[/I] thing I can find that gives it away is that the tiny pin hole on the back of the phone towards the bottom (not sure what that's for), which the cutout is about 1mm in diameter, where the actual hole is about 0.5mm.

Here's a shot from another thread someone took of theirs with a black carbon fiber applied (I got the same, but with the cutout for the Motorola logo as well):

156712d1419555762-non-slip-skin-back-nexus-6-img_20141209_132443460.jpg

I really like the carbon fiber skin in that its texture also provides for a better grip.

EDIT
Here's a picture of what it would look like with the Matte White skin on the Midnight Blue model. Comparing my results to their 'stock picture' of what it should have looked like, it was spot on, so should be pretty much exactly as you see it:
Capture.JPG

Only notable differences would be the side trim, and the Motorola logo being encircled in midnight blue instead of white (though you could just get your skin covering it, similar to what the poster of the carbon fiber skin above did).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87