My ear/face keep hitting the hold/mute buttons while using the phone (As a phone), how do I stop this?

kentsoro

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
My ear/face keep hitting the hold/mute buttons while using the phone (As a phone)

I find this to be a huge problem, but haven't seen any other complaints about this... when using the phone (As a phone), I frequently find that my ear or the side of my face that's touching the screen is causing the mute or hold (or others) buttons to be pressed which needless to say causes big problems when it's being done unintentionally.

Anybody else have this problem/issue and know anything that can be done about it? Yes, I can hit the home screen after dialing, but it's still a problem because my ear/face is potentially hitting other Apps, or music to play or something else instead... plus I still want the ability to actually pause, intentionally or mute...

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: My ear/face keep hitting the hold/mute buttons while using the phone (As a phone)

Sucks but hit the power button before placing the phone to your ear

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: My ear/face keep hitting the hold/mute buttons while using the phone (As a phone)

I lock my screen too. The only time I don't is when I call my bank and use the key inputs.

From an AOSP M8

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Anybody else have this problem/issue and know anything that can be done about it? Yes, I can hit the home screen after dialing, but it's still a problem because my ear/face is potentially hitting other Apps, or music to play or something else instead... plus I still want the ability to actually pause, intentionally or mute...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-6/479320-nexus-6-0-2-horrible-phone.html

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

So, just curious: are you left-eared or right-eared?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Why I inquired:

Begin a telephone call. Hold the phone in your hand, in front of you. Once you hear the ring signal, place a finger over the left top edge of the phone's screen, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the surface. You should see the screen go black as you trigger the proximity sensor. Move your finger around a bit to locate the exact location of the sensor and it's sensitivity.

What I find is that the sensor is far more likely to be properly triggered when I hold the phone to my left ear as compared to my right.

When triggered during a call, the screen goes black and all on-screen buttons are deactivated.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

When placing the phone to your ear, the screen should go black and nothing should happen. Never heard of this problem.

JoePa2624

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

This has been an annoying software bug for me as well. I've hung up on a few calls and started dialing random numbers. The software needs to be fixed so that the screen fades when it senses that its being up to your ear.

I thought this was fixed years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

This has been an annoying software bug for me as well. I've hung up on a few calls and started dialing random numbers. The software needs to be fixed so that the screen fades when it senses that its being up to your ear.

I thought this was fixed years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Place a test call, put your finger or hand over the sensor (you don't have to completely cover it, but get close). If it consistently works, it is not a software issue, but rather the way you put it against your head (hence why some people report the issue only when held to one side of the face and not to the other). If the results are inconsistent when covering the sensor at the same distance, then it's a hardware/software issue, but in most cases it's just the way the phone is held (design flaw).

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I am also facing the same problem after updating my phone os from kitkat to lollipop 5.1. the mute/hold buttons should have been a bit lower then they are now.hope google will fix it up

mattimoe8

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I am left handed and the phone goes to my left ear which puts the call on hold every time. Please don't tell me to switch ears or I'm holding it wrong - design flaw. Marshmellow better have the fix or I'm done with Nexus phones. Google's flagship phone should not have these issues.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have same problem with my Droid Turbo

I am also facing the same problem after updating my phone os from kitkat to lollipop 5.1. the mute/hold buttons should have been a bit lower then they are now.hope google will fix it up

Same for me since lollipop

I am left handed and the phone goes to my left ear which puts the call on hold every time. Please don't tell me to switch ears or I'm holding it wrong - design flaw. Marshmellow better have the fix or I'm done with Nexus phones. Google's flagship phone should not have these issues.

i am having this same stupid problem

Did any of you try the suggestions/directions that @N4Newbie & @Jeremy8000 gave? That will help identify whether it is a hardware/software issue, or design issue.

milon30

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Me also facing this horrible problem with my Galaxy A-8 and now using "Customize My Caller Screen" apps and my problem solved.

Muilisx

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
it mostly happens when you have it on your right side using ur shoulder to hold the phone. The phone leans out a little to where the prox sensor thinks it's away from your face so the screen becomes active. It's super annoying. It forces me to use my left side or lock the phone.

adaorange

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
This is happening to me in my s6 edge plus. Super annoying.this is unacceptable. Phone needs to work as a phone without the user needing to walk on eggshells to avoid failure. Ugh.

Dynoble

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I feel your pain. I just got the S7 and this happens to me as well when I don't have the phone completely on my ear. I use my left hand when talking so my ear hits the damn hold button when it's not covering the sensors. Basically you just need to have your ear over the sensors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith