Today, I won the lottery (Google N6 64Gb)

az86018

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Lucked out and finally managed to order the elusive N6 64!
Activating it at Verizon is unchartered waters for me. Please let me know what to expect. Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Bring it into your local Verizon store. Ask them to do an equipment swap to the N6. It'll take 10 minutes if the clerk has no idea what to do. (It takes about 2 minutes normally, almost all of which is typing and waiting for the computer, then calling the phone to make sure everything worked.) What do you do? Stand there and be bored.

Oh, ask them how much of your current phone's data they can transfer to the N6. Most stores have a little black box these days that can transfer a lot more than contacts (which, if you entered them as Google contacts, which you should, will automatically sync to the new phone by themselves).

JairoAnarchy

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I just brought mine into a Verizon store Thursday to activate it. My girlfriend and I share a plan. They told me they would do it but they need her there with her Droid Turbo because they need use her nanoSim to activate my phone. My current phone takes a microSim. We are going back today to do it so hopefully they will get it done.

Basically they have are going to have to do some flip flopping with the phone numbers to get mine activated but they said they would do it and it should work. Surprisingly the woman also told me (though she said she would not recommend it) that I could cut my microSim down to a nanoSim size and that would work as well.

If Verizon releases the phone on the 26th it should be much easier to get it activated at that point. Good luck!

Posted via the Android Central App

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

az86018

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Thoma Motyka ... if I understand correctly, your hangup was that they didn't have any nano SIMs on hand and they had to borrow your girl friend's? ... what a way to run a wireless company :)

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The N6 is not a VZW network recognized device yet. The only way to get it working, until VZW recognizes it, is to pop in a nano sim that has already been activated on VZW. Voicemail works fine, just not Visual VM, for now. Everything else is good. I went thru the same a week ago.

az86018

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Verizon might not have N6 SIMs, but shouldn't they have Turbo SIMs that apparently should work on the N6, according to Thomas Motyka's story.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Verizon might not have N6 SIMs, but shouldn't they have Turbo SIMs that apparently should work on the N6, according to Thomas Motyka's story.

Yup. I took the SIM out of my activated Turbo and popped it into the N6. Up and running in seconds.

Why'd you make the switch?

az86018

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I am not actually switching from a Turbo to a N6 ... when my RAZR maxx died last November, and the N6 was not yet available, I opted to temporarily use a Droid Turbo which will replace my wife's RAZR maxx, after I get my N6 activated. In effect, we are switching from two RAZR maxx to a Turbo and a N6.

az86018

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Would it be correct to conclude that the SIM card is needed only during phone activation? ... What does it do the rest of the time? ... Interesting lesson learned for today.

Last edited:

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Would it be correct to conclude that the SIM card is needed only during phone activation? ... What does it do the rest of the time? ... Interesting lesson learned for today.
Um, the sim? It just lets you make calls and use data over Verizon's network. (Not simultaneously of course.)

az86018

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I asked about the SIM being needed for activation only because two posters talked about borrowing a Turbo SIM to activate their N6 ... I assumed they returned it to the Turbo and continued using the N6 without the SIM. ??? NO ???

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member