AT&T, How I Hate Thee

Edward Eatman

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Mine is still under warranty so I just had moto send me a new unit, let it update to MRA58N via wifi, then put my at&t sim in. The phone works perfect. Ridiculous that any of us had to wait and we all aren't on marshmallow.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
That's why the new Nexus are not sold through carrier stores this time thanks to the disaster of what happened with the Nexus 6. Google still allowed the carriers to have some control so they could sell the phone in there store. Google went back to its roots with the 6P and 5x

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Tried the sim pull, factory data reset for a third time in the past two weeks, didn't work again...... Blah

Posted via the Android Central App

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Not really. A sales rep is simply that -- a sales rep. Not an expert. They are trained to make you buy phones at the store -- that is all.

Yeah, but the phone Tech Support isn't much better either. Most of the time I call only if I can't find it online. I hate calling multiple times to go through the same steps I already know to try to fix a problem, and have them run me through the whole process again. Very rare to talk to someone who knows stuff you can find in the forums.

Bcannon77

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Bought my N6 direct from Moto then activated on ATT (only carrier to get svc at my home). Still on Lollipop here too. Tried the Sim pull FDR route and nothing. I'd love to switch into 6P, but frustrated because I shouldn't have to.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Bought my N6 direct from Moto then activated on ATT (only carrier to get svc at my home). Still on Lollipop here too. Tried the Sim pull FDR route and nothing. I'd love to switch into 6P, but frustrated because I shouldn't have to.

Out of curiosity how did you 'activate' it on AT&T? Did you take it to a store or just pop a SIM in yourself?

AC App
Nexus 6

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Out of curiosity how did you 'activate' it on AT&T? Did you take it to a store or just pop a SIM in yourself?

AC App
Nexus 6

Not the original poster but I have A similar scenario, I purchased the Nexus 6 from Motorola unlocked and just popped my AT&T SIM in the phone and started using it. I suspect that at some point when the phone updated with the AT&T SIM in the phone I became a slave to all future updates (A particular build hit the phone.) And as has been noted plenty, pulling the SIM and WIFI FDR'ing does not work.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Not the original poster but I have A similar scenario, I purchased the Nexus 6 from Motorola unlocked and just popped my AT&T SIM in the phone and started using it. I suspect that at some point when the phone updated with the AT&T SIM in the phone I became a slave to all future updates (A particular build hit the phone.) And as has been noted plenty, pulling the SIM and WIFI FDR'ing does not work.

My theory is that by taking my phone to the store and letting them not just install the SIM but register the phone with its IMEI, they basically turned my unlocked device into a carrier phone. For past unlocked phones (not Nexi) I would just put the SIM in on my own and call it a day with no issues.

Only reason I went to the store this time was because I didn't have a nano SIM :-/

AC App
Nexus 6

Bcannon77

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site

AC App
Nexus 6

I didn't have a Sim so I went and got one. I didn't know they were "registering" my phone. Clearly that's the killer here.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Starting to feel pretty dire. I just got 6.0.1 on my Nexus 7. Jeez :-/

AC App
Nexus 6

The only reassuring thing I can see is that a December security update to lollypop hasn't been posted for the Nexus 6. I'm willing to bet we'll get an OTA straight to 6.0.1. Maybe?

Adam Ziarnik

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
The only reassuring thing I can see is that a December security update to lollypop hasn't been posted for the Nexus 6. I'm willing to bet we'll get an OTA straight to 6.0.1. Maybe?

I got the December security update OTA Wednesday. Afterwards, my build was LMY48Z. I finally decided I'd had enough - borrowed my wife's Macbook & flashed 6.0.1 MMB29K a little while ago. I had never messed around with anything like that before, but I guess it came out ok. In the 30 minutes since I finished, the only hiccup of any kind I've seen is that it was a little slow to connect to my home WiFi at first. I had to enable airplane mode and then disable it before it would connect. It kept on listing my network as "saved" instead of "connected". It appears to have been a short lived problem though (I hope).

I'm no pro at this. I used this guy's instructions, but I substituted the image for 6.0.1 in place of 6.0. How To Install / Flash Android 6.0 Marshmallow [Tutorial] | Redmond Pie

I've been with AT&T since the Cingular days. They've been getting my money every month for the last 12 years. There's been ups and downs just like any long term relationship, but I'm seriously looking at making the jump to Fi once we get the wife's Note 4 paid off. She's on board with it too.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I got the December security update on Wednesday too. Still trying to hold out before flashing though. I hate wiping and having to redo my entire device for that, even if it is better to have that clean install.

I guess it's possible we could go right to 6.0.1 at this point? That would certainly be less enraging than getting 6.0 today and getting 0.1 in 3 months when everyone else is getting 6.1.

AC App
Nexus 6

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Well in October I flashed to MRA58K. Was having issues so I flashed back to LMY48Y. Little worried because I haven't received December's OTA LMY48Z which I didn't know existed till now. Seeing issues with folks that are flashing are falling off the "update train." I'm thinking I have to flash some old build to get back on the train or I'll be stuck in OTA purgatory.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I got the December security update on Wednesday too. Still trying to hold out before flashing though. I hate wiping and having to redo my entire device for that, even if it is better to have that clean install.
Just do it. I had to unlock my bootloader but I don't care anymore about the so called security risks. It is not just AT&T by the way T-Mobile never pushed 6.0 either. After flashing 6.0 my battery life is better and now flashing 6.0.1 my Nexus 6 is faster and my Nexus 7 (2013) is so smooth it seems like a new device now I don't need a new tablet.

Bcannon77

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Well in October I flashed to MRA58K. Was having issues so I flashed back to LMY48Y. Little worried because I haven't received December's OTA LMY48Z which I didn't know existed till now. Seeing issues with folks that are flashing are falling off the "update train." I'm thinking I have to flash some old build to get back on the train or I'll be stuck in OTA purgatory.

Yeah that's exactly why I'm hesitating so much on this too. And I also got my LP Dec update already. Sooooo..........thanks AT&T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana