Nougat for Verizon nexus 6 on Monday?

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
It's probably the September security update since the OTA hasn't even made it to unlocked phones yet. I'm still running developer preview 5.

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
It's probably the September security update since the OTA hasn't even made it to unlocked phones yet. I'm still running developer preview 5.
I agree. There have been many false alarms on Nougat for our device reported by these second-hand sources. Tbh I think they know they're reporting incorrect info, and they just want the clicks from being the "first" to report eagerly-awaited information. (It doesn't matter whether the info is right or wrong, they've already got your click...also known as "click-bait"). Stick with google and carriers for more reliable info.

Nexus 6 Security update is up for September and it's Marshmallow MOB31E on both the factory image page and the "OTA" image page

Last edited:

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I had an "update" notification this afternoon, and got excited, but it was just a regular security update. :(

I have a Verizon Nexus 6, but I took it over to Google Project Fi for almost a year, and now I'm back on Verizon. Don't know what that means for if/when I'll get N. Do I get it from VZW, or Goog?

Will the eventual OTA version be the exact same thing as the currently available side-loaded version (if I choose to do that tonight)?

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I had an "update" notification this afternoon, and got excited, but it was just a regular security update. :(

I have a Verizon Nexus 6, but I took it over to Google Project Fi for almost a year, and now I'm back on Verizon. Don't know what that means for if/when I'll get N. Do I get it from VZW, or Goog?

Will the eventual OTA version be the exact same thing as the currently available side-loaded version (if I choose to do that tonight)?

Nexus 6 is a special case. Google opened up OTA approvals to the carriers for Nexus 6. The OTAs come from Google yes but when the carrier OKs it. It all boils down to what sim is installed when it checks for OTAs. Even if you bought it unlocked from Google, Amazon, or even another carrier, it will only be offered OTAs approved based on the sim installed.

I found this to be very annoying when I bough my Nexus 6 for use on at&t. I bought it from Google and found out at&t got to approve my OTAs.

I think this went away with 6p and I hope that's still the case with pixel when it's released in time for me to upgrade.

phillyphreak

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that is very informative, and it makes sense. If VZW drags their feet too long, I will side load (which I don't really have time to do, but I'll find the time).

The first thing I did was enroll in the Android beta program and from what I've read this latest version is very similar to the final release. It's stable and didn't take that long to load.

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks phillyphreak, that's a good idea. I do have one question about that though..

I enrolled in the beta program in June, and it wiped my N6 to install 7.0, and then wiped it again when I un-enrolled to revert back to 6.0. Is that still the case? Because that's somewhat of a PITA, having to reinstall all of the apps, and losing some app data.

I guess downloading + sideloading OTA will have the same affect (or will it?)?

I know that receiving the OTA over the air (if that redundancy makes sense) doesn't wipe apps and data.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I enrolled in the beta program in June, and it wiped my N6 to install 7.0, and then wiped it again when I un-enrolled to revert back to 6.0. Is that still the case? Because that's somewhat of a PITA, having to reinstall all of the apps, and losing some app data.

Sideloading an OTA won't wipe user data; flashing a full factory image will wipe user data. Unregistering from the Beta program before you get the final OTA to a no-longer-beta version of Nougat will also wipe your phone and take you back to MM.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks phillyphreak, that's a good idea. I do have one question about that though..

I know that receiving the OTA over the air (if that redundancy makes sense) doesn't wipe apps and data.

When I enrolled and it OTA'd the the N beta, it did not wipe my phone. It only wiped my phone unenrolling and returning to M.