Replacement for the N6

wezi427

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
So I've been very happy with my N6, but the screen cracked. I'm now trying to figure out if I want to repair it or replace it. I hate to sink the repair costs into a 2 year old phone when I could almost buy a new N6 for what they want. But then why put that money to an "old" phone.

I really like the size and the front facing speakers, I think the 6p is an okay replacement but there are a lot of issues with the Pixel XL (size, bezels). So I started branching out my search for a true replacement in size and have come up with a couple of options but still wonder if I would miss the nexus updates if I decide to go with a non-nexus phone.

So here is what I'm considering:
Any opinions? Is there something else I should consider?

Would you consider the OnePlus 3? I'll admit I'm biased towards Nexus phones, but the OnePlus 3 really intrigues me.

DrLouie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I would consider the OnePlus 3T, but not the regular 3. The real problem with it is that it is only 5.5" display, and going from the N6 to a 5.5 seems like a large step smaller.

DrLouie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I can look past wireless charging. Stereo speakers are awesome and it will be disappointing if my next doesn't have them.
The screen looks good on the Phab even without being AMOLED, so that wasn't a big deal. Nougat upgrades are going to be completely dependent on manufacturer (unless I go with a 6 or 6P) and even then the upgrades will stop eventually. But no NFC means no Android pay (and even if you are using tap to pay, that is the way that I store my loyalty cards).

DrLouie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
To close the loop on this thread, I ended up with a 6p. I'm enjoying it currently. Some thoughts on switching from the N6 to the 6p, the screen size is a little smaller, but I didn't really notice it after a day. The fingerprint reader is a really nice addition, I didn't think it was a big deal, but it is definitely a nicer addition than I thought it would be. Makes me wonder why the indent for the Motorola symbol wasn't a fingerprint reader on the 6. Also, it might just be subjective (or because I had gotten used to the cracked screen on the 6, but the 6p seems to be a little brighter and a little more crisp. Overall, I'm happy.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Makes me wonder why the indent for the Motorola symbol wasn't a fingerprint reader on the 6.
Rumor was that the dimple was supposed to be a fingerprint reader but Apple bought out the company that made the readers M wanted.

Glad you like the 6P. I almost bought a used one around Thanksgiving, but the dink selling it on Swappa cancelled the sale claiming he'd "sold it locally" instead. No BFD, but damned if I ever try Swappa again.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, my buddy keeps cracking his N6 and he says Motorola is selling him replacements for like $175. He doesn't have any special coverage plan.