[GUIDE] Release the Kraken! Rooting & Hacking Your Nexus 7

rebus2

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi dmmarck. I just like to thank you and the other guys for the brilliant write ups regarding all things rooting, roms, and restores. This is my first post and following the guides managed to unlock, root and install Paranoid Android a few days ago. I have a few questions I hope you can help me with.
After doing the JB update to 4.1.2 manually through TWRP I made a Nandroid backup onto the Nexus 7 and then installed P.A. following your directions. Everything worked great and I love P.A. it’s stable and so easy to customise to what you want.
If I do a further Nandroid of P.A. through TWRP can I then do a clean or dirty install whichever is necessary? and restore the Nandroid for JB 4.1.2 using the first JB nandroid I made and then again following the same procedure go back to P.A. if I want to.
Goo Manager is installed by default in P.A. There are no rom updates available as yet but when this comes through is it just a matter of following the directions in Goo or is it done through recovery?

SethKyros

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This guide, good sir, is probably one of the most amazingly well-crafted and truly enjoyable pieces of writing I?ve had the pleasure of placing my eyes upon in quite a long time; I had to register to these very forums just to say this much in fact.

As a new Nexus 7 user, your guide has managed to give me a pretty clear direction as for where I want to go with my device, and it was a delightful learning process to boot. Please let me have your babies and then make you cake, I love you now :D

(and seriously, I?m probably sounding ridiculous here, but I really enjoyed the read, so thanks a lot mate ;p)

JoeyBollocks

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello mate

Well, this being my first post on this forum (first post on an Android forum actually) you can guess Im a bit of a noob.
Ive bought my first android device 3 weeks ago, a Coby MID7042, which I already gave back to shop and bought a N7. I was loosing my nuts with Coby, trying to root it and I never was able to. That and the fact that the tablet was already squeaking after the first week made me get the grouper as you said, I guess that makes me a groupie.
I really appreciate this posts of you because they made me understand the basics of it, and now I ready to something more challenging. My grouper is already unlocked and rooted and I'm thinking on going to PA, since the Tablet UI really interests me, but I've got a question that I think it will be pretty stupid for you guys but to save my skin (my wife kicking my ass because a ruined a 300 Euros device that is two weeks old), I need to do it! Imagine this:

- I'll make a nandroid of the setup that I've got now, and ill flash PA and trinity kernel (no need to under or overclock de Tegra) and for some reason it goes wrong.... is there a chance that my grouper dies and goes to a limbo for the eternity, I mean dies definetly with no turning back? I unlocked the nexus and that MAY avoid warranty, so if I broke this and send to Asus to repair they'll probably stick they're middle finger to me right? Or there is no chance of that happening whatsoever

Once again this post is absolute genius mate xD

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello mate

Well, this being my first post on this forum (first post on an Android forum actually) you can guess Im a bit of a noob.
Ive bought my first android device 3 weeks ago, a Coby MID7042, which I already gave back to shop and bought a N7. I was loosing my nuts with Coby, trying to root it and I never was able to. That and the fact that the tablet was already squeaking after the first week made me get the grouper as you said, I guess that makes me a groupie.
I really appreciate this posts of you because they made me understand the basics of it, and now I ready to something more challenging. My grouper is already unlocked and rooted and I'm thinking on going to PA, since the Tablet UI really interests me, but I've got a question that I think it will be pretty stupid for you guys but to save my skin (my wife kicking my ass because a ruined a 300 Euros device that is two weeks old), I need to do it! Imagine this:

- I'll make a nandroid of the setup that I've got now, and ill flash PA and trinity kernel (no need to under or overclock de Tegra) and for some reason it goes wrong.... is there a chance that my grouper dies and goes to a limbo for the eternity, I mean dies definetly with no turning back? I unlocked the nexus and that MAY avoid warranty, so if I broke this and send to Asus to repair they'll probably stick they're middle finger to me right? Or there is no chance of that happening whatsoever

Once again this post is absolute genius mate xD

Pretty much no chance.. A Nexus device is always fixable by restoring the factory images, which I have a guide covering. Hack away at it and don't fear bricking as its mostly impossible to do to a Nexus :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible add a custom kernel for overclocking without installing a custom ROM? Im trying to just root and OC without losing any data.

storlem

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to reistall the apps and data from the backup after flashing a new rom?

- already answered in another thread, thanks 2defmouze.

Last edited:

slagmodian

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Im new to this but I went through ?ragnarokx's video , and everything went smooth and was very easy. Im just wanting to know how to reverse what I did and go back to stock nexus. I'd reply to his post but I cant see a link to do that.

pfft64

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Registered to give my respects to old post from man who seems to know what he's talking about.
Thanks for the thread and i like the hospitality that you offer.

I belive i have intrest to discover what Android has to offer, but for not being a brainiac i know it's a summer fling waiting to be dumped in Costa Ricas waters when i am too drunk and flash a new ROM with whiskey bottle. It's beatiful how much comminuty does these days to technology.

Heads up, pfft64 approves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38