Problems with Microsoft Exchange email on Nexus 7

tomhowells

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

Trying to set up my Exchange email account through the native nexus 7 email app.

The details I've entered (domain/user; password; server; SSL settings and port) all match my Outlook Exchange settings.

Despite this, the application raises an error message stating "Couldn't finish: Couldn't open connection to server."

My internet connection is on and I'm able to browse the web as usual through Chrome.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to solve?

Thank you!

Tom

tbonezx11

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have any trouble getting my N7 to connect either.

I can get it to work in the email app as well as going to webmail, etc. SORRY

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

Trying to set up my Exchange email account through the native nexus 7 email app.

The details I've entered (domain/user; password; server; SSL settings and port) all match my Outlook Exchange settings.

Despite this, the application raises an error message stating "Couldn't finish: Couldn't open connection to server."

My internet connection is on and I'm able to browse the web as usual through Chrome.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to solve?

Thank you!

Tom
I am having the exact same problem. No issues with my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 or my Samsung Galaxy S3. The Nexus 7 works with Enhanced Email but not with native client. I'm getting the same error "Couldn't finish: Couldn't open connection to server." Any ideas?

Billy Jay

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm having erratic sync problems with my corporate e-mail account using the native Nexus 7 e-mail app connected to an Exchange server. I had no problems at all with this same corporate e-mail account when using Android 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 for several months, but have had problems since I upgraded to Android 4.2 about a week ago. The symptoms are as follows:
1) The Nexus 7 promptly RECEIVES all e-mail sent to the exchange server. Check frequency under Sync options is set to Automatic (Push).
2) All e-mail SENT from Nexus 7 promptly syncs to the exchange server and other devices connected to it (my Windows 7 laptop running Outlook 2010, Galaxy S3 phone running Android 4.0.4).
3) Any items DELETED or MOVED to folders on other devices connected to the exchange server promptly sync and show up on the Nexus 7.
4) Items DELETED or MOVED to folders on the Nexus 7 DO NOT promptly show up on Exchange Server and other devices connected to it. I?ve done a bunch of tests over the past two hours and none of changes initiated on the Nexus 7 have yet shown up on the Exchange server. I handled a lot of e-mail on my Nexus 7 while waiting in a line on Black Friday between 6am and 7am and those changes had NOT shown up by Friday evening at 9pm (14 hours later). However, they did update sometime on Friday night or during the day on Saturday. Not sure whether tests I did several hours ago will every sync or not.
4) Periodically get a message "couldn't open connection to server" on Nexus 7. Often shows up in notifications tray, but will go away fairly soon and connection to server works.
6) No problems with syncing in both directions for Exchange server calendar and contacts. Tests making additions, changes and deletions using the Nexus 7 apps default apps for Calendar and People promptly go through to server and changes on other devices sync to Nexus 7.
7) No problems syncing e-mail, people, and calendar from Nexus 7 to Gmail account in either direction.
In summary, the only sync problems are for corporate Exchange e-mail when deleting e-mail and moving e-mail from the in-box to folders on the Nexus 7. The problems started shortly after I upgraded from Android 4.1.2 to Android 4.2. Very frustrating and a huge waste of my time.

bonacheeta

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I am having similar issues. I was setting up my work Nexus and spent almost an hour on the phone with our IT people and nothing worked. Literally 30 minutes later, for NO apparent reason, all of my emails synced. I had NO problem for a month. Then over this past weekend, I had a Jellybean update. My email still worked fine. I was in a meeting all morning yesterday, was sending and receiving emails and my battery died. I plugged it back in, and when it turned on, I got the whole security error (forgot the exact quote but it wouldn't log in). I tried restarting again since it had JUST been working 20 min before, and nothing. So I deleted the account and re-did it all, same info and everything, and now it's stuck at "Waiting for sync." Why?? WHY?!? I can log into my webaccess on the Nexus tablet's Chrome without a problem....

Billy Jay

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Everything working fine today. I didn't make any changes to the e-mail account, so stuff that wasn't syncing two days ago is now doing it within a minute. After I verified things were working OK, I decided to update to Android 4.2.1 and then deleted or filed about ten e-mail messages on the Nexus 7. Everything synced correctly in less than a minute. Also, verified that changes made on other devices connected to the Exchange server promptly synced to the Nexus 7. Glad it's working but still frustrated about spending over three hours on this issue over the past week. Making me question my decision to go with Nexus 7 tablet and Galaxy SIII phone vs. iPad and iPhone 5.

kwiryadi

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi Billy,
Please let me know what you have done differently.
From the time I bought my Nexus 7, almost a week a go until today I tried to set it up but no luck so far. I have received message like Couldn't finish: Couldn't open connection to server."

I set up my Hotmail on the program it works fine. I set up my exchange with my IPhone and IPad without any problem too.

I set up my exchange email with touchdown trial version and it works fine. But would like to have my email on the android email system as it looks much simple.

Please help. Thank you.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I don't know if this is a typo, but the proper syntax is domain\user (must be a backslash, not a forward slash).

wplay12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am also Nexus7 user and having difficult to access my Exchange. Finally I found way. This may be not right way but at lease you can check your mailbox on exchange with Nexus7.

Exchange Server setting (mine is version 2003)
1. I turned off "Enable Forms Based Authentication". (Administrative Groups -> First Administrative -> Servers -> ServerXX -> Protocol -> HTTP -> Exchange Virtual Server)
Go to Properties of "Exchange" site at IIS (mine is IIS6) and go to Directory Security tab
Authentication Methods
- used Integrated Windows authentication
- Basic authentication (Default domain: \ ) "\" in box
Secure Communications
- unchecked Require secure channel (SSL)

Nexus7 Email Setting
Incoming Setting at Mobile (Android Jellybean 4.1.2)
Domain\username: MyDomain\name (e.g. Contoso\Bob)
Password: ***
Server: server01.yourdomain.com
Checked: Use secure connection (SSL)
Checked: Accept all SSL Certificates
Client certificate : None
Port: 443

============ That's all ============ Good Luck for Nexus7 users, but you need Exchange Server Administrator's help. :)

Last edited:

TOPHIES

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi

i was having this problem too, waiting for email to sync on exchange and to appear.

My solution to the problem was to make sure that activesync on the nexus was on(which in my case it wasnt) this is under settings/data usage and then top right under the time the 3 dots, touch that and you get a sub menu which shows Auto-sync data, once this is ticked you may get a message asking for permission for exchange to control some aspects of the nexus. Then success all my exchange mail is now on my nexus.

Hope that this is help to those who are still stuck with " mail should be available soon" :D

regards

jswMN

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
After stumbling around for a day and a half on this same issue - I found this forum and TOPHIES solution did the trick for me.
THANK YOU!!

Last edited:

clintonfang

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
You Rock, nearly frisbeed my nexus out the window trying to reconnect to exchange. Your fix worked perfectly. Why on earth isn't this bit of wisdom on general release?
Our IT wizz was totally stumped!

VLimon

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, TOPHIES!!! After trying to figure this thing out for hours and reading several blogs, your simple solution worked. You just made my day! :D

importpsycho

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm still having problem with nexus 4
TOPHIES, trick didn't work
Still getting "Couldn't open connection to server" when account setting.
I know setting is not wrong because I can use the same setting on 4.1.2 or older no problem.
Also, co-worker using same 4.2.2 has no problem setting up and getting emails on his Samsung Note 1.
so it's just Nexus 4?.....

Last edited:

Atlas Mugs

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Nope, still doesn't work for me. I enter everything correctly but still get "couldn't open connection to server." I had no issues setting up any other of my devices (be they IOS or Android), but the Nexus 7 will not connect. Does my IT dept need to do something with the Mobile Device ID itself?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87