Using Google Wallet with N7

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I signed up with Google Wallet and got the $10 sign up bonus. I plan on using it at 7-11 as they have the NFC reader. Here is my question: Can you use Google Wallet without any type of data connection? The 7-11 does not have WiFi.

Thanks

mobilehavoc

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Google Wallet works 100% without data connection - all it's doing is transmitting your card info to the reader. Next time you're on a data connection it'll update balance/transaction history, etc. There's a big misconception out there you need data and you definitely don't.

How do I know? I've been using Google Wallet daily on my Nexus since November 2011.

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Never mind. Seriously. I couldn't see it before but I do now

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Google Wallet works 100% without data connection - all it's doing is transmitting your card info to the reader. Next time you're on a data connection it'll update balance/transaction history, etc. There's a big misconception out there you need data and you definitely don't.

How do I know? I've been using Google Wallet daily on my Nexus since November 2011.

I didn't realize that, now Wallet on a tablet makes a whole lot more sense.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
So I just signed up and when I pressed to add Google prepaid card it just stalled. Its been trying to add the card for like 5 minutes now and force stopping the app doesn't work. Anyone know what's going on with this or how to I stop it from trying to add the card?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
So I just signed up and when I pressed to add Google prepaid card it just stalled. Its been trying to add the card for like 5 minutes now and force stopping the app doesn't work. Anyone know what's going on with this or how to I stop it from trying to add the card?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I had to wait for mine to register for a while. Maybe just keep trying and each time be patient. Sooner or later it should work.

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks you all for your help. Can't wait to see the looks on peoples faces when I go there and use this lol.

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for that info.. I've been using my SIII this week, and the fact that G.wallet is completely blocked from it was really pissing me off. Now, I can just take my Gnex with me whenever I want to use the G.wallet.

carmex

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Wallet on my N7 crashes every time I try to enter the info for my citi paypass card. I get everything typed in and it brings up the "unfortunately wallet has stopped" dialog when I hit submit. Anyone else having this issue?

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I decided I'd take my Nexus 7 to the local Jack in the Box and have Google pay for my dinner tonight- so much for that idea. :)

To be fair, it's 100% NOT Google's fault, it appeared the NFC/Card Scanner at the register I was using was not operational. (The other register had a NFC/Card Scanner with a green LED illuminated - the one I tried to used didn't have an illuminated LED.)

It's not a big deal, but it was the only reason I decided to go to Jack in the Box for dinner.

On a final note, while I love new technology and I hope NFC becomes very common in the U.S. I have to admit that it's not too convenient to pay with the Nexus 7. Having NFC on my smartphone would be much more useful but there are conflicting reports about whether the Razr Maxx has NFC.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes when i had my nexus s 4g i used the nfc payment regularly. worked pretty good but i would see how trying to pay with tablet might be an issue :)

Reactions: inamear

N33k5

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I decided I'd take my Nexus 7 to the local Jack in the Box and have Google pay for my dinner tonight- so much for that idea. :)

To be fair, it's 100% NOT Google's fault, it appeared the NFC/Card Scanner at the register I was using was not operational. (The other register had a NFC/Card Scanner with a green LED illuminated - the one I tried to used didn't have an illuminated LED.)

It's not a big deal, but it was the only reason I decided to go to Jack in the Box for dinner.

On a final note, while I love new technology and I hope NFC becomes very common in the U.S. I have to admit that it's not too convenient to pay with the Nexus 7. Having NFC on my smartphone would be much more useful but there are conflicting reports about whether the Razr Maxx has NFC.

I hated it when I would go somewhere having seen the NFC scanners just to find them (re)moved before my next visit w/ GWallet it made me sad faced, but I can't wait for the "Did you pay with your tablet?" Like I got with my GNex. Good times with good boba tea.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus with 4.1.1 Jelly Bean

Snake_915

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have Google wallet on my GNex (have $26 on the card). When I activated google wallet on my nexus 7, I thought it would use the same card as the GNex and have the same balance. Instead it gave me a brand new card with the free $10. Anyone else get this?

Zirynx

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I have Google wallet on my GNex (have $26 on the card). When I activated google wallet on my nexus 7, I thought it would use the same card as the GNex and have the same balance. Instead it gave me a brand new card with the free $10. Anyone else get this?

I have Google Wallet on my GNex and N7, and I also got the $10 credit on both. I went to the local grocery store to buy groceries and paid using the $10 on my tablet, the $21.67 on my phone, and some extra change on my debit card. The look on the self-checkout monitor's face was priceless. The machine got a little confused and said that it charged me something like $62 at the end of the transaction, but my receipt and all the charges panned out just fine. I didn't have enough battery to tether internet through my phone, so this is how I discovered that you indeed don't need an internet connection to use Google Wallet.

As a side not, transactions from both cards are recorded on both devices which is both helpful and a bit confusing. They include the last 4 digits of your card when you add money, but normal transactions don't include the last 4 digits of the card that performed it which is something I hope they change eventually. Granted...if you have both devices, other than using up your free $10 and freaking people out, I don't really see the point of using Google Wallet on your tablet since your phone will likely be in your pocket anyway.

Last edited:

lawmonkey13

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have enough battery to tether internet through my phone, so this is how I discovered that you indeed don't need an internet connection to use Google Wallet.

Interesting. I keep getting hung up on waiting for authorization but now I want to try it again. I assumed vzw blocked me somehow via my hotspot.

mlawrence85704

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
When I tried to buy something at McDonalds today it brought up Wallet, but even though I had previously selected the Google prepaid card it asked me to select a card, then when I selected the card it tried to check the balance, which does require a network connection, and then it just hung waiting, and after about 60 seconds I had to give up and use a regular card. Disappointing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty