google now search opens 2 tabs in chrome

Ehsan Maleki

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Is this happening to anyone else?

When I click on the google search box from Nexus 7 (with jelly bean) and type in something, a list of search items opens in "google now." Then when you click on an item, it open the actual page in google chrome. So far so good. But often, two identical tabs open in chrome. It's not necessarily a big deal, but just kinda annoying...

For example,
1. click on google search box
2. type in "morgan freeman" and hit enter
3. click on the Wiki link (should be the first one there)
4. TWO identical tabs open in chrome

It doesn't always happen, but most of the time it does. If it doesn't work for you the first time, try it again and see if two tabs open.

Thanks

anon(338116)

May 29, 2011
Visit site
same here for the past day and a half using Google now. but regular Google chrome searches works as long as its not the search bar from the home screen or Google now voice search. Was trying to fiddle with the controls but there doesnt seam to be a browser behavior selection.. again, I haven't touched anything so it just magically appeared.

Galaxy Nexus doesn't have this problem.. seams to be only the Nexus 7

Last edited:

anon(338116)

May 29, 2011
Visit site
You said your Galaxy Nexus doesn't have this problem, do you have a jelly bean Galaxy Nexus?

yep running Jelly Bean on both GSM G-Nexus and N7. I did notice that Nexus 7 doesnt have "personalize your voice" option. also there seams to be a bug, when de-selecting "show last search results" on the Nexus 7 it still appears when I use Google tab bar from the home screen.

I have even deleted the data cache from Google chrome in the Nexus 7 to see if maybe it resets but it does the same.. sometimes opening up 3 tab bars instead of two. Its almost like Google now opens one up and the 2nd registers on Google Chrome app. You cant double tap a link to open two, you have to press and hold than select new tab bar. In other words both seam to activate at the same time.

Last edited:

SimFox3

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone figure out the root cause? More importantly, why did it start happening now? If no one knows, I'm going to perform a factory reset on my N7.

jsz3us

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Is everyone that is having this issue rooted? I never noticed it before and now I notice it and I am rooted. I don't know if there is a connection or how root would cause this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dan428

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue.. my first post btw :)

But yeah, I am rooted. I'm pretty sure the issue started before I rooted though.. can't say for sure.

connormxy

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Someone on reddit noticed: If you click the rectangular box the search result comes in, you get one tab. If you click the link, the title, it opens two. Wut.

dan428

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Someone on reddit noticed: If you click the rectangular box the search result comes in, you get one tab. If you click the link, the title, it opens two. Wut.

I just tested that theory and you're right. Though during my first attempt, it worked fine either way.. then I did more searches and replicated the title bug over and over.. easy workaround at least.

airwalker78

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I get two tabs from clicking links in multiple apps...gmail for example. Must be an issue with chrome not Google now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non