Ebook Reader for Nexus 7

bcisys

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been a big fan of the free ebook app FBreader on my phone for a while now, and it works even better on the bigger screen of the Nexus 7. I store my ePub book collection on DropBox, so I can access my books from my laptop, phone, and tablet with no hassles. FBreader does not sync your location within a book like the Google Reader, but that's rarely an issue for me.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....ui.android&feature=nav_result&token=YleynaU1

The Amazon Kindle app is also pretty good on the Nexus 7, and you can sideload your DRM-free MOBI books.

Reactions: coachdvc

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I use Kobo https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kobobooks.android&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5rb2JvYm9va3MuYW5kcm9pZCJd. You can import ePub books into it and its kind of a neat because you get awards for stuff like reading new books, reading late into the night, importing a lot of books from the same author. Do you get anything for the rewards? No, lol, but it's nice way to encourage you to read more often. I decided to use Kobo because of the clean interface. I would use Google Books if I could import other books into it...

paulsam7

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been a big fan of the free ebook app FBreader on my phone for a while now, and it works even better on the bigger screen of the Nexus 7. I store my ePub book collection on DropBox, so I can access my books from my laptop, phone, and tablet with no hassles. FBreader does not sync your location within a book like the Google Reader, but that's rarely an issue for me.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....ui.android&feature=nav_result&token=nnLILwMp

The Amazon Kindle app is also pretty good on the Nexus 7, and you can sideload your DRM-free MOBI books.

I agree 100%! Have been an FBReader user on both my iPod Touch and my 10" Android 2.1 tablet. I tried Aldiko reader on the Nexus 7, and it doesn't turn pages anywhere near as fast as FBReader.

I also use both the Kindle app and the B&N Nook app. (To access DRM books purchased from their stores.)

slbailey1

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I use the Kindle app. Now I get 98% of my eBooks from Amazon. Any ePub or LIT books I have I convert to mobi format using Calibre and side-load them to the Kindle directory. Mobi formated eBooks located in the Kindle directory will automatically appear in the Kindle app.

Local_Hero

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I use FBReader primarily, but also Cool Reader, for epubs and mobi. The Kindle app for mobi. I switch back and forth between them all depending on what I'm reading at the time.

FBReader is great because it is fully customizable.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is unless you already have books from amazon stay away from the amazon app. It really sucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

okrayski

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have an opinion of PDF reading on the Nexus 7? I have a few ebooks in that format and want to know how docs with smaller text render, and their readability on the 7" screen.

Also have some CHM ebooks (and for whatever reason can't find software that reasonably converts them to wider used formats) and could use some tips there.

If both PDFs and CHMs work out well then but 7 is pretty much a no-brainer for me.

Darrell999

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm a sucker for those nifty page-turning animations (where it looks just like a real page turning), and I find the Nook Reader and Google Play Book to be the best looking. However, as far as I can tell, I can't sideload my own collection into the Google Book Reader, so I'm sticking with the Nook Reader app.

However...I find that most eBook readers (including the NookReader) only let you arrange books by title, author, or most recent, and I like to arrange my books into collections or series.

Mantano reader lets you tag however you want to put into collections, but it doesn't have that beautiful page-turning animation...

By the way, Mantano is excellent for reading PDFs!

FB Reader is awesome! Using Calibre on the PC, I can edit the metadata to give my books whatever tag I want, and in FBReader, I can organize books by type, series, or just about any other way. It even lets you long-press a map to make it larger (for those of you who are fantasy buffs).

It does have page-turning animation, but not nearly as beautiful as the Nook Reader, so I keep my collection organized in FBReader, and then if I want a book to look really good when I read it, I just copy the file into the Nook Reader documents folder using a file app like EZFile Explorer.

To summarize: Mantano and FBReader for organizing/reading=great. Nook Reader for really Awesome reading!

Last edited:
Reactions: wayne_oh

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the Kindle App which is really good, and I also downloaded Moon Reader+ which seems to work well. I downloaded a few hundred ebooks yesterday out of boredom and put them in my google drive folder. Works great.

Aid71

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I use Mantano reader, and now there is a beta out with improvements. I've tried the others and did not really like them. It reads epubs but not mobi (I think). You can sort by series which I really like and the book 'shelf' is nice and clear with lists, details, large and small icons etc.
I cannot understand why this app apparently does not get a lot of recommendations

Foyt20

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Sony E-Reader, Kindle, and Google Play books. I have media on all of them, so I downloaded all the apps. I buy from Amazon, and Google though.

Thig

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Google Play Books and like it. Is there a way to get a book I purchase from Play Books onto my wife's Nook Simple Touch? Not trying to be dishonest but if I buy book I think at least my wife and I ought to be able to read it on our own.

JoePGI123

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Very good analysis.
I use Calibre and have downloaded hundreds of free books from Gutenberg.
As a new Nexus 7 user, how do i import them into FBReader?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38