Has anyone else had to Factory Reset their Nexus 7?

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I've got a launch day Nexus 7 and have been using almost daily since. About 2 or 3 days ago it started to act weird. At first my home screen widget wouldn't load. I thought maybe it was an issue with the widget (HD Widgets). Deleted, re-added it and all was fine. Yesterday, I turned the N7 on, same thing happened again along with a bunch of other weirdness.

The entire tablet was stuck in slow motion. It would take anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds to respond to any kind of input (folders, notification pull-down, menu keys, power button, etc.). If the home screen widget loaded, the system time didn't update, while the widget seemed to be current and WiFi was worse that dial-up (updates from the market seemed to be stuck as well). I powered off & on several times (boot time was normal), but as soon as it started, it was like I had never shut it off (stuck doing everything it was doing when I powered off). I had finally had it and went into the setting menu for a Factory Reset, which took several minutes for the system to recognize any button presses on the confirmation "OK" to initiate the wipe.

Now, my N7 is back to it's just out-of-the-box configuration. And it seems to running just fine. I dread the thought of having to reinstall all of my apps, tweak all of the settings and personalize the homescreen(s) once again. I was reading in another thread how the N7 gets sluggish once your available space drops below 2 or 3 GB. I don't know how much space I had left, I'm guessing it was under 4GB, since I had taken advantage of the $0.25 sale (about $4 worth) and had installed several large games (700MB-1GB+) in the days just prior to the odd behavior.

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I've got about 3.7gb left. And I haven't had to restart my nexus to factory yet. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones. I took advantage of that big sale this weekend too. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I had a email problem recently and the final option google tech support gave me was a full factory reset because the other options didnt resolve the problem. I refused. Thats the typical tech support answer even at apple. The problem resolved itself -- a server issue at earthlink. Factory reset is the worst case scenario.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading a number of similar threads. So what's the main cause(s) of these types of problems: too many apps; size of apps; incompatibility/corruption issues between the OS and certain apps? I'd like to learn how to avoid something like this, if possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chibisaurus