Anyone Switching Over to the Surface RT?

swyost

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Not interested had a wp7 device and switched back to android. You do know that the rt devices cannot run any x86 software you need surface pro for that. The Only thing I want from them is office on android and that is coming soon.

You do know that it ships with a full version of Office 2013? Anyone who is expecting any more than the WP7/8 version of Office for Android is probably in for some serious disappointment. The IOS version will certainly be pretty feature complete, largely because Microsoft and Apple do not want to deal with Android on desktops, but Android will almost certainly get a glorified reader with minimal editing capabilities plus a tether to Skydrive.

swyost

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
MS' Surface's strength is running full blown Windows apps...e.g., MS Office, camera tethering apps, etc. This requires the non-RT version which will be a crazy $800 w/ a similar low-res display (HD tablets will be the norm this holiday season, so MS missed the boat on that one)-:

I would have picked up a non-RT surface if it were around $500...MS priced themselves out of the market IMHO.... :p

RT ships with a full version of Office 2013. You might at least read the specs since they are available on line. It also comes with a MicroSDXC, full USB port, and a few other features barely available any where in the Android tablet world. BTW, the version that you refer to as being the "non-RT" version to ship in January is names Surface Pro for a reason. Where did you expect pricing to be for a device aimed at being a replacement for a business travel laptop/ultrabook?

swyost

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Even as a huge former Microsoft fan (they lost me with Vista and everything since, still love and use Windows XP Pro); nope, no interest. Three strikes against the Surface for me:

1. It's too large (prefer the size of the Nexus 7)
2. Not a fan of the tiled interface
3. Windows marketplace (app store) is very weak

How do you know the marketplace is weak if are still stuck on XP? Tends to suggest a bit of a self-fulfilling prophesy on your part.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
About the size--its not meant to be an ebook reader, it's for productivity. It comes with Microsoft Office, which I feel would be a pain to use on a smaller device. This is more to bridge the gap between laptop and tablet, which is why it offers that keyboard.

The Pro has full desktop support and can run real programs, right? Like, Photoshop CS6? I'm probably not going to get it at this point, but it is a step in the right direction. Maybe in an year or so when marketplace develops and a better device is released.

The RT is kind of overpriced for what it is, and I don't like that the keyboard is an extra $100 when they advertise it in all the pics--as if the device isn't complete without it.

(quick question--anyone known if the pro can also run android apps, or is it stuck with whatever windows has?)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I may consider a Windows tablet when they release ones with true Windows, but I have little interest in a Win8 RT device. The whole appeal of a Windows tablet to me is that it be able to run the same programs as my PCs do. Win8 RT doesn't offer that.

TaylordKris

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Microsoft & Google kinda guy, but I'll have to pass on this..

off topic: did anyone see the Walking Dead Windows 8 preview last week? haha, it was hysterical !

NickFromHouston

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
For me, it's too big/heavy and expensive for my needs. And I already have a N7. I suspect MS is trying to compete more with Apple than with Google, but will eventually have a Surface 7 or so and try to compete in all the tablet sizes. I'm not knocking the product - maybe if I didn't already have a houseful of Android tabs and phones I'd be more open for it. We'll see how things go next year. So far, I'm glued to Android. :)

djnshores

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not interesting. It's too big, too expensive, and it's main feature is a keyboard cover? I find using a stylus or the voice commands on the Nexus 7 more than adequate. It's far from a desktop replacement. For the money, I would just buy a good laptop. I would be surprised if it is a sell out like the iPad 3 was.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I will be surprised after reading this article if the Surface is still around in 2 years. It costs $500 to $700 and can't even run Outlook. I can buy an ultrabook for just a little more and have a real laptop that runs the real Window 8.

Widows phones are not selling and iPad & Android tablets have a big start over the Surface. HP and BlackBerry found out that it takes more than a brand name to break into the tablet market. Read this article before you buy one.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2012257/three-reasons-the-surface-rt-might-not-work-for-business.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm going to pass on the Surface. The Nexus 7 does everything I need just fine.

Sent from my Asus Nexus 7

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
How great will it be when everyone's phone, tablet, and PC will be running Windows 8. PC is already there just waiting to switch my phone and tablet. I know the app support is not there yet. I got a feeling that once this thing takes off.....

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
How great will it be when everyone's phone, tablet, and PC will be running Windows 8. PC is already there just waiting to switch my phone and tablet. I know the app support is not there yet. I got a feeling that once this thing takes off.....

Then all phones and tablets will have to have Intel or AMD CPU's. That ARM CPU is why the Surface can't run Outlook and won't be able to run normal Windows Apps. The Surface will require you to get Apps from Microsoft software store like we do now from Play Store.

Microsoft made a big investment in ARM but had to split off Windows 8 by making the RT version that isn't Windows 8 compatibility.

The Surface cost from $500 to $ 700 so how much is the Surface PRO that comes out in 2013 with a full power Intel CPU going to cost that runs the real Windows 8? Also what happens to the ARM Surface when the Intel Surface Pro comes out? Now App developers work on Apple iOS or Android that has too many different CPU'S types now. Who is going to make Apps for ARM Surface with Windows 8RT?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty