Nabi or Nexus 7 for a 6 year old?

ajac

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
get a nabi 2 root it add in the google stuff and heck remove the nabi 2 interface. Basically turns into a kid tough nexus 7 with a micro sd slot

sahmd

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I have two kids,now 9 and 5. Around the holidays last year, i found a couple of old barnes and noble gift cards, so i bought a nook tablet 'for the family'. Rooted it, read the kids the riot act about taking good care of it - they've used it every day since with no problems. I'd say get the n7.

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm still unsure why everyone is suggesting an N7 because they had success with a Nook or some other tablet. I don't think people here understand what the Nabi 2 is. It's a full Android tablet that uses the same processor that the N7 uses. It's the same price. It has the following pluses over the N7:

1) Included very rugged case
2) Included kid interface with parental controls
3) Included 30+ books, educational curriculum apps that teach multiple subjects (English, Math, Science, Social Studies) at levels from Kindergarten through fifth grade)
4) MicroSD card slot for storing up to 32GB of photos, movies, audiobooks, music, videos, (and apps if you root)
5) miniHDMI port
6) Excellent customer support (in my experience)

The N7 has the following pluses over the Nabi:

1) Gets latest updates from Google
2) Jellybean (vs. Nabi's ICS)
3) Native support for Google Apps includeing Google Play (without rooting you can get all Google apps working on the Nabi except for Google Play. Google Play will work to browse apps, download movies and books, but not update/install apps. However, this limitation of course goes away if you root the Nabi)
4) Better screen resolution (1280x800 vs. 1024 x 600)
5) GPS
6) More built-in (non-external) storage space (16GB vs. 8GB) (for same $200 price)
7) Slightly longer battery life (although after some updates, Nabi's battery life went from about 5hrs up to 7-8hrs)

These are the basic differences between the two. Rooted, the Nabi, is more competative with the N7, at least as far as software. Hardwarewise it's kind of a wash as both of things the other doesn't. I think the problem is that most of the respondents have never used a Nabi and so believe that because it's geared towards kids, it must be just a toy. This might have been true about the first Nabi that came out last year, or other kids tablets that try to copy it but without the horsepower of a Tegra 3, but it deserves serious consideration in my opinion...

RKnight1983

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a Asus Transformer Infinity that my son love and knows how to use no problem. I just picked him up a 32GB Nexus 7 for his 4th birthday yesterday for $229 through the deal that Radio Shack had going (im not sure if its still going but the code was RMN20). I then bought the Sedio Active and a Zagg and he should be good to go. I know that it is probably the best investment because it will last him a few years and I know he will allways have the latest software thanks to the fact that it is a NEXUS. I will just load it up with a bunch of his favorite gmes from my infinity and put all of his favorite movies on it as well as Netflix and I will have my tablet back and he will be thrilled. I know alot of parents are scared to give there children there precious expensive devices but as long as they know they cant treat them like there toys and instead treat them with care,then you shouldnt have a problem.

mipd1980

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
My 5 year old uses my TF101 with out a problem, she is very responsible with my things though. Her and her sister use my wife's Rooted Nook Color (CM7) with no issues. I'm thinking I'm getting my self the 32GB N7 soon, so I'm passing the TF101 to my kids. They play educational games, read books, watch movies, you name it, they do it. (kids stuff of course), I think either way you go you'll be ok. Hope that helps

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I have 6 and 3 year old girls. They both take excellent care of an N7. The 3 year old needs more prompting to do so but follows the restrictions I place on them when they're using it: no walking around with it, no eating, stay where we can see them, no fighting, when mommy or daddy say "off" we mean it. The major difference between what I'm seeing in the thread and what we do is that we made it very clear to them that it's daddy's tablet, not theirs. So they know they need to ask to use it.

If it's a gift for the whole family I'd say go with the Nexus. I have some saved kids shows on Youtube, a flixter account with all of our UV movies, and all our music saved to the cloud. Can they get to my NWA in Play Music? Sure, but that's not what they're looking for and they know what their music looks like. Plus I set up a playlist with just the stuff they like. You'll appreciate the extra space for apps and higher resolution.

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to have to say go with the Nexus 7. I bought 2 for my family, one for me and one for everyone else. They all love it and use it almost everyday. The 5 year old in my family uses it the most. He plays both fun and educational games on it and also does some web surfing and Youtubing. It has proved to be beneficial in helping him to learn and doing some of his own research if he has questions as most young children do. I just have an i-BLASON case on both of mine and they have survived just fine. If you feel that your's may take more of a beating put a TPU case and a screen protector on it as others have suggested.

Any TPU case should work. Although I do suggest SGP screen protectors for all of my devices.

Amazon.com: nexus 7 sgp - Screen Protectors / Accessories: Cell Phones & Accessories

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
My kids have a Nook tablet, it works well. It's pretty basic, has most of the popular apps for kids. It was a gift though and if I were purchasing I would have probably gone with a Nexus 7 because in the long run it's a full featured tablet. I would have also looked at the Galaxy Tab 2.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a 5 yr old. They can definitely handle the android interface. They don't need a dumbed down, kid's interface.

As for destruction, it really depends on how you ley them use it. If it is just viewed as another one of their toys, that they are allowed to play with as they see fit, it will likely see a lot of abuse. If you treat it as a special privilege that is something they can use at certain times, with a parent's approval, they should be old enough to treat it appropriately.

My son is hard in his toys, but he understands that the tablet is just for playing a little bit before going to bed. It sits on the counter and he leaves it alone during the day.

Basically, they'll treat it with as much respect as you expect them to.

-Suntan

Exactly right. I let my 5-year-old son play with my 10" GTablet (knock-off from before there were real Android tablets) but he knows there are "rules" about playing on the tablet such as
  • The tablet does not go on the floor. Ever.
  • The tablet goes on the coffee table when we're done. Not the couch.
  • We do not walk around while playing with the tablet.

And he knows breaking those rules means being grounded from the tablet. I had to ground him once, for the rest of the day, because I found the tablet on the floor, but it's never happened again. So long as you teach your kids that the tablet isn't a "toy" and that they have to take care of it or lose the privilege, they usually will. And you've got the added benefit there of teaching them a little bit about responsibility.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm still unsure why everyone is suggesting an N7 because they had success with a Nook or some other tablet. I don't think people here understand what the Nabi 2 is. It's a full Android tablet that uses the same processor that the N7 uses. It's the same price. It has the following pluses over the N7:

1) Included very rugged case
2) Included kid interface with parental controls
3) Included 30+ books, educational curriculum apps that teach multiple subjects (English, Math, Science, Social Studies) at levels from Kindergarten through fifth grade)
4) MicroSD card slot for storing up to 32GB of photos, movies, audiobooks, music, videos, (and apps if you root)
5) miniHDMI port
6) Excellent customer support (in my experience)

The N7 has the following pluses over the Nabi:

1) Gets latest updates from Google
2) Jellybean (vs. Nabi's ICS)
3) Native support for Google Apps includeing Google Play (without rooting you can get all Google apps working on the Nabi except for Google Play. Google Play will work to browse apps, download movies and books, but not update/install apps. However, this limitation of course goes away if you root the Nabi)
4) Better screen resolution (1280x800 vs. 1024 x 600)
5) GPS
6) More built-in (non-external) storage space (16GB vs. 8GB) (for same $200 price)
7) Slightly longer battery life (although after some updates, Nabi's battery life went from about 5hrs up to 7-8hrs)

These are the basic differences between the two. Rooted, the Nabi, is more competative with the N7, at least as far as software. Hardwarewise it's kind of a wash as both of things the other doesn't. I think the problem is that most of the respondents have never used a Nabi and so believe that because it's geared towards kids, it must be just a toy. This might have been true about the first Nabi that came out last year, or other kids tablets that try to copy it but without the horsepower of a Tegra 3, but it deserves serious consideration in my opinion...

I believe his point, though, was that he wanted to know if the N7 would survive use by a 6-year-old so that he would be able to play on it as well :)

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
My twins, now six, use a rooted Nook Color and my iPad.
They are both getting a Nexus 7 for Christmas with a Square Trade Warranty.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Plus you can set profiles with the n7 to block things you mite not see as kid friendly plug the 250 dollar model is a 32 gig now ;D
INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

beavenour

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I'm going to go with the Nexus 7 since it appears it's more than capable of withstanding the hands of a 6 year old. She's about as responsible as a 6 year old can be and has enough exposure to technology that I'm sure she be running the thing as well as me in no time.

Appreciate all the great feedback! Thanks again!

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just in case, I would buy an accidental damage warranty, from something like Squaretrade; I hear Walmart has them for cheap, too. No matter how conscientious she is, accidents do happen. $40 is a lot better than spending $180 to get a cracked screen fixed.

If you don't purchase a separate warranty, I would at least get a rugged case. This one looks like it could survive an avalanche lol: Drop Tech Series Google Nexus 7 Case | Tablets | Gumdrop Cases. This one has no reviews yet, but it definitely screams little girl: Amazon.com: Bobj Rugged Case for Nexus 7 Tablet - BobjGear protective cover - Rockin' Raspberry: Computers & Accessories.

BradTheAce

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I bought my son a Nexus 7 for his fifth birthday. Having previously used his Mummy's iPad, he wasn't happy about the lack of sound (very low level) from the built-in speakers when watching movies or You Tube content; he now uses headphones which does give the rest of us some peace and quiet! The apps are good and there's lots of content for kids. I was amazed at how quickly he picked up the different technology and functionality having previously just been exposed to Apple. Go for it!

Digbee

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Buy a Nexus 7, then put it in a Gumdrop case, it will be virtually indestructible. No worries mate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

this is what I did with my spare 8gb n7. But for my 16month old son. Not broken it yet, best things he likes is YouTube Bingo song and BBC iPlayer per school cartoons like baby Jake and Charley bear.
Peter.

davela72

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how everyone feels about Wal Mart but just saw today that the Nabi 2 is going to be $129 on black Friday. I'm picking that up for my 4yo son and getting my 8yo daughter the N7. Oh, Daddy's 32GB N7 should be at home waiting for me today after work. I took advantage of the $20 off at Radio Shack yesterday.

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how everyone feels about Wal Mart but just saw today that the Nabi 2 is going to be $129 on black Friday. I'm picking that up for my 4yo son and getting my 8yo daughter the N7. Oh, Daddy's 32GB N7 should be at home waiting for me today after work. I took advantage of the $20 off at Radio Shack yesterday.

Right! Also, while not quite as good, Best Buy will have it for $169 on Black Friday (the Nabi 2). Radio Shack has some deal for I guess all their electronics where they are giving you coupons worth $10 for every $50 that a purchase is? So essentially it is the same amount off of a Nabi 2, but you then get the coupons mailed to you vs. getting that $30 off immediately...

davela72

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This Radio Shack deal was $20 off instantly making the 32GB N7 $229 with free shipping but unfortunately they charged tax bringing to $242 total, still pretty decent.

Fleury14

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a used 1st gen Kindle fire ($100) for my almost 2 year old son. Rooted, Locked down everything except apps & video, Tossed on a gumdrop case and we were good to go. He already has it mastered. Scary really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress