USB cable extender length affects charging current?

orenzai

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a cheap 3 metre USB extender cable off my local store for a few dollars because I was ing about how short the charging cable was. I brought it home and found out that it works. However, it seems to charge really slowly. I just observed just now and found that after 3 hours of charging, it only charges 20pct whereas if I took the cable out and just use stock cable, it charges at 3 pct every 10 minutes. My question is does the cable's length affect the charging current or is it just that my USB cable crappy? How could I solve this cable length issue? Thanks for answering my questions :)

Attachments

• IMG-20121126-00350.jpg
    IMG-20121126-00350.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 68

shona001

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Must be a crappy cable, I bought one which had good reviews on Amazon, 3 metres long and I haven't had any problems, it actually seems better quality than the stock one, and charges just as fast.

anon(1024093)

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Must be a crappy cable, I bought one which had good reviews on Amazon, 3 metres long and I haven't had any problems, it actually seems better quality than the stock one, and charges just as fast.
OP is using an extension cable, not a replacement.

Short answer is yes - an extension cable (or replacement) can negatively affect charging rates. Any extra resistance anywhere in the charge path will lower the rate.

shona001

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
OP is using an extension cable, not a replacement.

Short answer is yes - an extension cable (or replacement) can negatively affect charging rates. Any extra resistance anywhere in the charge path will lower the rate.

Yea, you're right, I didn't read the post properly, the simple answer for the OP is to buy a long replacement charger cable rather than use an extension cable.

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
They probably used a smaller gauge of wire to keep the cost down. As stated too much resistance. You might have to spend a little more. Just wondering if the wire gauge is stated on the package.

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
To the OP. I've noticed the travel chargers that come with old BlackBerry phones give the fastest charges. If you can find a few of those you'll be set. They tend to come with 5 ft cords as well.

Sent from my HTC One S

Emily Martin

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If the charging is slow it is probably because of the quality of the cable you are using. If you are looking for a long range USB Extender solutions I would recommend checking KVMSwitchTech. They offer a wide range of USB active extension and USB 2.0 Extender solutions.

evan_adams

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to dig up this thread but it is true. I bought some nice 10' amazon basics extension cables w/ 3ft usb to micro cables.

I don't get a drain but I have found that I get a much slower charge. So it isn't so much the cable as it is the extention and resistance at that connector.

Jason7637

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
the answer is simple. your cord is not defective it simply has no transfer relay points in it. also SUB extensions havec this problem. I however solved the problem and am in process with davision to market the idea. see electrical current can flow instantly over great distances if the power is turned up high enough. however if you want a 2.5 DC voltage to travel longer than 4' you have to have a built in relay. so no matter what extention cord you buy you will have the same problem. thats y the cell stores in ca dont sell the extentions. they r crap. I'm actually selling my extention cords and relays online and not only r my customers happy as hell but it also works on any device that can charge as long as the cord for the device has a USB. Also the other reason you have voltage loss is due to the connecting end being a female connected. you cant switch from male to female without D.C. voltage loss.

Jason7637

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
yeah I solved that problem. it should be out in stores in about 4 months. plus the correct cord as well. however this product will b capable of charging any device no matter how old or new

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
the answer is simple. your cord is not defective it simply has no transfer relay points in it. also SUB extensions havec this problem. I however solved the problem and am in process with davision to market the idea. see electrical current can flow instantly over great distances if the power is turned up high enough. however if you want a 2.5 DC voltage to travel longer than 4' you have to have a built in relay. so no matter what extention cord you buy you will have the same problem. thats y the cell stores in ca dont sell the extentions. they r crap. I'm actually selling my extention cords and relays online and not only r my customers happy as hell but it also works on any device that can charge as long as the cord for the device has a USB. Also the other reason you have voltage loss is due to the connecting end being a female connected. you cant switch from male to female without D.C. voltage loss.

I'm having a lot of problems trying to understand your explanation. That line about the connector sex being female is very strange. What's the relay do for the transmission of current?

Jason7637

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Poor conduction over a long distance will lessen electricity . When you have a long cord like that it helps to have something in line that is a great conductor of electricity. The reason for this is so that the current flow of electrical current can regroup gain strength and push foward so thst by the time it reaches you phone the output is the same at your phone as it is at the wall. Example take a common man tell him he has to run a 10 mile marathon in so much time or he dies yes he has never run that far in this life before about 5 miles you will get tired if there was a small bowl of energy or crack or coke or whatever to help him finish the rest of that leg of 5 miles he would make it same concept. Also now that high have gotten a chance to look at one of those cords the cord itself is very poorly constructed what is nowhere near what it should be for dc transference the quality of wires crap and it is nowhere near big enough to carry the kind of power necessary to reach to your device to charge it adequately all around a very poorly constructed device which is why the one I have in one I made it so much more superior to that of what's on the market . And my apologies of some of this might read weird talk to text is not that perfect.

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Jason, something in line that is a great conductor of electricity is what this thread is about. The cables wire gauge in extensions is usually too small to pass the current required. Something to get the current to gain strength is called an amplifier. We just want to charge a tablet. Are you for real?

Jason7637

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
No offense but you don't know much but electricity do you. I kind of specialize in it.See I'm a Union welder and we deal with AC and DC current voltage electricity on a larger scale then most people. can you tell me y 25 AC WILL drop 2v every 100' while the equivalent in DC will not. see welders have been using the old trick when their power supply unit starts to malfunction. When the unit starts to function most of us in the field have modified that we can put in the line between the TWI go to that connects to the cable that goes to the power supply and to the Stinger instead of it being brass or copper it's actually stainless steel. Copper wiring is great but its not that great of a conductor for electricity which is why you have to have multiple strands for a better output when dealing with the DC current alternating current guidelines for cable but runs best on a solid core wire. Hence the reason for my plug connector its stainless steel electricity traveling through copper once it hits stainless steel its like to do it you don't need all kinds of gizmos gadgets and circuit boards to increase the output electricity you just have to know what the f*** you're doing. so am i for real? The answer to that would be yes obviously I actually have an extension cord that works for all makes and models of electrical devices that use a USB to connect into a charger. And my mother works does it work but it works very well the charging time is half of what it normally is. Of course the reason for that is everybody is stuck on this record must be able to carry a 2.0 wrong thinking which is why that product fails. Ask yourself they have a burgundy and black striped cord The Kooks the charging time in half try to guess why?

Jason7637

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Also you are the one that has posed the question as to why it is that you were charging extension doesn't charge very well not a very good product if you can't even use your phone while its on charge in excessive 5 feet or so away from the wall. However I can leave mine plugged in completely dead and surf the Internet make phone calls send text messages play games and it still charges while I'm doing all of this on accord I made and now carry product patents on.

Jason7637

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Please don't get me wrong I am NOT trying to sound or come off as insultave you simply asked a question I posted a photo of the solution and I'm just merely explaining why the solution works

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Jason, I know about electricity. Do you see what I use for a name? All I can say is good luck with your project, I wish you well.