divide the screen in two

royal hussar

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at some other similar android tablets this morning and noticed most of them had a divided screen when on settings. So when selecting a section such as apps the settings remain on the left side and the apps open in a new window on the right side.does not seem to be a feature on the nexus 7 though the icons on the other tablets were the same.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Might be difference due to ICS vs Jellybean.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Nexus devices give you the raw, unaltered, "vanilla" Android experience. Other manufacturers customize the Android operating system to various degrees. Samsung calls their version "TouchWiz", for HTC it's "Sense UI", for Motorola it's "BLUR", etc. These customizations or skins will alter the look and functionality of each device. And although the Nexus 7 uses stock Android, I suspect that Android has been tweaked under the hood for use specifically on the N7.

arcoms

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that it's because of the fact that Google designed the Nexus 7 to be run in a slightly more "phone-like" UI since the screen is smaller than the traditional 10" tablets. Even tablets that are running stock Android 4.+ like the Toshiba Thrive I have have that "split screen". It's a convenient way to jump from one menu to another (like from Wifi options to Bluetooth options) and it's a little sad that they've decided to push this on users instead of just making it an option. If you are willing to root, I think there are custom ROMs that run the more tablet like UI on the Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, my Acer A100, which is 7" and runs ICS, does have a split screen in the Settings. Maybe they got rid of split screen on 7" tablets with Jellybean, but so far there's no way to compare, since there aren't any other 7" tablets that have Jellybean except maybe the Acer A110, but does anyone know someone who has one?