Which Nexus 7 to buy?

pclovergt

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm an experienced PC user but as yet have not bought a Tablet. As much memory as you can afford was an old maxim so I would go with a 32GB version. But do I need 3G?

I dont understand the term "mobile data"? Does this simply mean accessing the Web or Emails when away from a WiFi point? This would be the same as I experience with my Kindle 3G excepting that the network charging is absorbed within Amazons charges.

I understand I would have to buy a Sim card from a service provider and that its an Open setup?

I take this to mean I can get the Sim from several network suppliers and just choose the best deal?

Can I buy a Pre Paid Sim card as I wouldnt want to enter into a monthly contract?

Sorry! if these seem very basic questions

Gary

Dude1134

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Well I think that getting data on a tablet is pointless, just something else you have to pay for. But you would have to go with AT&T from what I've read, and you use a SIM card. But if you have a phone you can just tether it the to the Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read here, you are not tied to AT&T. Some are using T-Moble sims. I haven't used the 3g yet, but like having it there for when I need it. Have been using Talk a tone with google voice on mine for VOIP and it works great. Thinking of dumping my phone, which the 3g would make possible. And yes, mobile data means data without a wifi connection.

I think the old maxim is still true, never enough memory. Movies and videos look great on this thing, and with a program like Freemake on your PC, you can convert all your stuff (dvd's, and even win media center files) to whatever size n format you like and always have it at your finger tips. MX Player will even play raw media center files if you like.....

150981_4588766809719_1425897610_n.jpg

pclovergt

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. I should have said that I'm in the UK so those telephone providers may not be applicable here.

Also, being a retired senior I only have a very basic, pay as you go, phone. To me its just a phone box in my pocket to make the occasional call from. So the tethering of the Nexus 7 to it is not an option.

Gary

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, if T Mobile will work here, then any GSM (sim card, which I think is what you have there) provider should work there...